PDA

View Full Version : COD does not use STEAM folder

Stiboo
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
As posted on my other thread on the main page, I discovered while testing the FMB that COD uses this location for all it's files -

\My Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

this includes all Skins, missions and the config.ini

I guess you still need to keep the STEAM files so the game will work

This is a pain for me as my C:\ drive is full up and i'm going to have to delete/move stuff to make room for new skins and missions!

Hope Ilya can change this location or give us a choice...

Feuerfalke
04-05-2011, 05:35 PM
As posted on my other thread on the main page, I discovered while testing the FMB that COD uses this location for all it's files -

\My Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

this includes all Skins, missions and the config.ini

I guess you still need to keep the STEAM files so the game will work

This is a pain for me as my C:\ drive is full up and i'm going to have to delete/move stuff to make room for new skins and missions!

Hope Ilya can change this location or give us a choice....

You can move it.

You should move it.

You should indeed never use C for saving your documents anyway. If your OS fatally crashes or you have to reformat for whatever reasons, you're in deep sh*t.
Besides that, as you posted yourself, all files stored fill up C until your system is choked.

Make up a new folder on a different HDD or partition. Call it Documents or whatever.
Copy all files from your "My Documents"-Folder there.

Rightclick on you Documents-Link in the start menu and choose "Set Path". Select the new Documents-Folder and add. Depending on the System you use, you have to delete the original Link manually. Some OS only accept one folder as "My Documents".

Done.

Now, move the files from the original MyDocuments-Folder to a backup-folder. If you don't make a regular backup, this is your chance.

Saves your HDD, saves your data and the best part: You can do it all by yourself and Ilya can concentrate on more important things.

Stiboo
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks Feuerfalke

I never new you could move the my docs folder from the main drive !!

We live and learn!

Will move to one of my other 2 drives NOW !

Cheers mate

Simon

major_setback
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Someone posted earlier that it is impossible to have Steam on one drive and the game installed on another, but this is what I have on my computer.
It installed that away after I tried to direct the install to my secondary drive..I didn't think it had worked at first, but it had.

StreetGang
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
It is possible, though I only know how to on windows 7. If you use 'mklink' to junction folders to a different drive, here's what I've done.

Firstly you need to move your il2 directory out of the steam/steamapps/common directory to whatever hard drive you would like it to run from, and make sure there is no il-2 directory in the steam/steamapps/common folder at all.

Open dos command prompt with 'run as administrator' rights (type 'cmd' in the run box)... now what we're going to attempt is to create a fake folder that steam will recognise as the il2 folder, but will actually link to the real il2 folder on a different harddrive. It's something to do with the NTFS file system and mirroring or something, I don't really understand how it works.

Type at the C: prompt- C:\mklink /j "C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "D:\games\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

^ the first directory being where il2 was previously installed, and the second directory being where the il2 directory is currently located. The quotations are needed. Adjust the directory structure according to whatever your own system structure is.

This will create a mirrored folder shortcut in your steam/steamapps/common folder that links to the real il2 folder, so if you double click the folder, it will open as a regular folder but the files are stored where you previously cut and paste them and it works the same with steam.

You could theoretically do this with your documents folder as well.

I only do this when I have a particularly nasty system hog of a game, as I have a 60gb SSD with windows on it and obviously things are going to run better on an SSD, but space is limited.

JG14_Jagr
04-18-2011, 01:50 PM
If you are new to STEAM one of the BEST features is that if you have a failure...pop in a new HDD, install your OS and then install STEAM and it will automatically put all your content back in.. its a great feature