PDA

View Full Version : Solidshield DRM will be removed in future?

acare84
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi, personally I love Steam and it's features and I am glad that Cliffs of Dover is using Steam. But why do you use 3rd party DRM on Steam? Steam itself is a DRM, not need for 3rd party DRM. Solidshield has 3 activation limits and that is really bad. I want to install and try my game on other PC's (because of the performance problems) but with this limited activations I can't. This is your decision or Ubisoft's? I hope you will remove the Solidshield DRM in future because it is annoying and pointless. Thank you.

Fritz X
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately nobody can tell you.

My guess is that it will be removed sooner or later, but I guess that you'll have to wait one or two years, just like Wings of Prey players had to (Gaijin Entertainment removed it about two weeks ago).

I really don't understand why they had to integrate the Solidshield DRM as an additional layer of DRM, anyway. The game is fully integrated to Steam and therefore uses it as a DRM as well (even if people at Ubi said that it doesn't, which is simply wrong). Wish Oleg and his crew had spent the financial resources they used for Solidshield on something else.

But I have to admit that Solidshield DRM is one of the less annoying DRMs. Not even close to the hell Starforce gave us. Yet, it's still unecessary, due to Steam.

Fritz X
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Okay, my initial guess was wrong, luckily :grin:

Solidshield DRM has been removed with the new patch.