PDA

View Full Version : Are you not bored typing fps SHOW START every time?

335th_GRAthos
04-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Are you not bored typing fps SHOW START every time?

I realised we have many new members who are not able to sing the two pages of conf.ini by heart (shame!) so you may find this of use:

In the same directory as the conf.ini (the famous MyDocuments/ etc etc...)
Find the file RCU
Open it with the text editor
at the bottom add following lines of text:

@a aa fps SHOW START

@a ab fps HIDE STOP

aa

save and close

From now on, if during the game you decide to start the fps display, press Shift-TAB, type aa press enter, exit with Shift-TAB. The fps measurement will appear on your screen (alternatively, if you have a "Console Info Window" open on your screen, you can type it there).
To remove it, repeat the procedure typing ab
The last line aa in the RCU file spares you from all the work, with it every time you start the game you have thefps measurement displayed automaticaly (you can remove it of course if you do not want this).

Since I have this strange feeling that we will spend the next months talking fps, it may prove a little handy ;-)

Happy Flying (ehem, Testing...)

mcmatt
04-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes, it would be good to have shortcut key for this. Thanks for tip!

Slechtvalk
04-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Alt tab don't work for me, no console.

So then I typed: fps START (in chat window)

Right after you typed START the plane will go very weird, you cant control it anymore, engine will go idle then full throttle.

But nice find, will use it when my console works.

machoo
04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
All you need to do is type it once. Whenever I open the console I just hit the 'up' arrow and it's already in the command menu. How do you turn it off again , that's what I wanna know.

Nike-it
04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
All you need to do is type it once. Whenever I open the console I just hit the 'up' arrow and it's already in the command menu. How do you turn it off again , that's what I wanna know.

The command is "fps STOP HIDE"

335th_GRAthos
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
The command is "fps STOP HIDE"

Thanks Nike, this option is even better, I will adjust y post accrdingly :-)

~S~

JumpingHubert
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I double click on fraps before starting Cod. Habitual procedure on fps critical games.

lensman1945
04-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Alt-TAB to bring up console wouldn't work for me either..then while I was checking out the key assign menus I found 'activate console' didn't have an assignment by default.

Options/Controls/Keys/Game...at the top

mr71mb0
04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Are you not bored typing fps SHOW START every time?

I realised we have many new members who are not able to sing the two pages of conf.ini by heart (shame!) so you may find this of use:

In the same directory as the conf.ini (the famous MyDocuments/ etc etc...)
Find the file RCU
Open it with the text editor
at the bottom add following lines of text:

@a aa fps SHOW START

@a ab fps HIDE STOP

aa

save and close

From now on, if during the game you decide to start the fps display, press Alt-TAB, type aa press enter, exit with Alt-TAB. The fps measurement will appear on your screen.
To remove it, repeat the procedure typing ab
The last line aa in the RCU file spares you from all the work, with it every time you start the game you have thefps measurement displayed automaticaly (you can remove it of course if you do not want this).

Since I have this strange feeling that we will spend the next months talking fps, it may prove a little handy ;-)

Happy Flying (ehem, Testing...)

Great tip thanks.

Although aren't the commands?

fps START SHOW

fps STOP HIDE

335th_GRAthos
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
fps is the command, STOP, START, SHOW, HIDE are the parameters you can type the parameters in any order you like or enter them individualy.

Alt-TAB is wrong the correct key is Shift-TAB !!!!!
sorry guys, it was too early in the morning (or too late flying CoD, whatever).

~S~

Oldschool61
04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Why not just download free FRAPS and install adn have it run everytime you start your comp. Then its always running when you launch game and I think ists f10 or f12 to cycle from corner to corner then off.

335th_GRAthos
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
You have a point there but somehow I never managed to overcome the thought why to use an external (additional) SW for something the game already has inside the main core.

Two other points that spoke against it in the old IL2FB days (I am also of the OldSchool '66) was that I needed to see the average fps when I was benchmarking and
the fact that fps used to drop the frame rate.
I do not know what the fps overhead of FRAPS is nowadays, would be interesting to know.
Those days we used to squeeze every bit of our machines to go from 18fps to 21fps... if I read the posts here, I wonder sometimes... :-)

I also admit, new to Win7 64bit (I installed it just for this game) I run CoD at low resolutions (1280x1024 while waiting for SLI to become available)
so I have much free space on my screen (3840x1024) and a lot of funny stuff open and it does not seem to have any impact at all so probably it would not matter.
http://www.stoimenos.com/temp/CoD/CoD_3840x1024_1280x1024_b.JPG

But, as said, old habbits die hard ;-)

~S~

JumpingHubert
04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Why not just download free FRAPS. too easy lol

mcmatt
04-06-2011, 05:03 AM
Why not just download free FRAPS and install adn have it run everytime you start your comp. Then its always running when you launch game and I think ists f10 or f12 to cycle from corner to corner then off.

And that is just I don't want to run it. Because it's running behind. Taking memory. And if game has own counter ...

madrebel
04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
rivatuner ... nuff said.

335th_GRAthos
04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
rivatuner

True, an excellent tool but I consider it too difficult for beginners.
Unless if newer versions are easier to handle (my last version was from one year ago when I wanted ot tune the speed of my NV fans) it is too scary to handle, in my opinion.