PDA

View Full Version : MISSING SKINS SOLVED! - Ilya please read

Stiboo
04-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi Folks

I do not know if this is common knowledge yet, but while testing the FMB I realised that the reason I cannot change skins for the Hurri and Spit is that COD is using another game folder for skins and missions -

\My Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

But the skins folder is empty....so copy your STEAM skins folder into the above location and at last we can use skins !!!

Ilya - can you solve yet another problem? Is it possible to just have the one folder for the game? or make sure files are copied to both locations?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/Stiboo/Launcher2011-04-0421-56-54-94.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/Stiboo/Launcher2011-04-0421-56-47-70.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/Stiboo/Launcher2011-04-0421-56-11-92.jpg

Will carry on testing all the new scripts in the FMB !

Cheers

Simon

Sven
04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know:)

Triggaaar
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Good spot Simon, thanks

Triggaaar
04-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Ilya - can you solve yet another problem? Is it possible to just have the one folder for the game? or make sure files are copied to both locations?That would be good. Setting up all the controls and tweaking everything for max performance is a big job, and it would be a lot nicer if we only had to think of files in one location.

Skarphol
04-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Hm. I can't find the skins. I find all the empty folders under "C:\Users\[...]\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins", but can you be more specific as to where the skins are?

Thanks in advance.

Skarphol.

PS. Wont be back until wednesday afternoon.

Stiboo
04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi Skarphol

your skins are in your STEAM folder -

\STEAM\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins

you need to copy this folder to the one mentioned above

I think only the Hurri and Spit have actually got any skins in their folder - the other are all empty...but now we know where they go, the Skinners can get to work ! :)

Simon

Rummy
04-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Jpg format....hmm thought I noticed the compression artifacts, does .dds work?

edit: Guess not.

major_setback
04-04-2011, 11:25 PM
This is a very important find!

Who knows what else might be missing.

JG53Frankyboy
04-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi Skarphol

your skins are in your STEAM folder -

\STEAM\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins

you need to copy this folder to the one mentioned above

I think only the Hurri and Spit have actually got any skins in their folder - the other are all empty...but now we know where they go, the Skinners can get to work ! :)

Simon

Bf109 and 110 have skins too.

Stiboo
04-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Yes, you are right Frankyboy!

and the BR20m and DH82a...

Does anyone know this format .mrk that they are using for squadron insignia markings in the folders?

and no folder for noseart?

mcmatt
04-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Hi Folks

I do not know if this is common knowledge yet, but while testing the FMB I realised that the reason I cannot change skins for the Hurri and Spit is that COD is using another game folder for skins and missions -

\My Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

But the skins folder is empty....so copy your STEAM skins folder into the above location and at last we can use skins !!!

Thats great! +1

LcSummers
04-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Really great,

thanks for this!!!!:grin:

Raggz
04-05-2011, 06:17 AM
edit: never mind :)

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Great find Simon,and really I'm looking forward to seeing some of those historical skins finding their way into this folder in the next few weeks :grin:

Wolf_Rider
04-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Skarphol wrote...

"Hm. I can't find the skins. I find all the empty folders under "C:\Users\[...]\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins", ~"

I'm the same (english version)

default (except for Hdrive) installation 1C club folder has all the folders for all the aircraft contained within the skins folder, but they are all empty and the Steam skins Folder ( F:\ Program Files (x86)/ Steam/ Skins only contains a skins Readme (opening sentence being "This is a primer on how to create skins for Steam. The information below is extracted from the Valve internal document on how to edit, so it may in some cases be wrong or reference tools that don't exist.")

O_Smiladon
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks Simon,

Got that sorted. Now how do I get the skin to show up in game. Gone to options and then plane, and i see the paint schems and then pick the skin I like and then go OK. but then I go to Quick Mission and the skin has shown is the defalt one... How did you do it to take those screen shots ?

Thanks Mate

O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon
04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
No worries done it.

Here she is

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx204/Smiladon/oceanichurrican.jpg

Oceanic wing O_Smiladon

Just a rough muck up but you get the idea

O_Smiladon

Conte Zero
04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I assume the useful .PSD skins template-files with friendly levels we had for IL1946 were created by modders, right?

working on a JPG can be a pain, but when you have levels and masks, it's quite easy.

We'll have to wait until these skilled guys put their art in our hands, hopefully.

My personal question: when I modify a plane in OPTIONS (where we also have pilot, etc) well WHAT am I really working on? The single missions plane? The quick missions one? I weathered several planes but then, in game, they all look shiny and brand new....

thank you

Stiboo
04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes sorry forgot to say that the screen shots were from the FMB, I think there is a bug on the quick missions so you cannot change skin?

On the subject of the FMB, it looks like we will have to wait to be able to use the new scripts... The basics are simple... When this group of planes are destroyed then this group will spawn..etc., but there is also an extra tab to write some scripting code... And we don't know what the code is yet!

Also the config.ini that COD uses is also in this other game folder!

ChocsAway
04-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Good find! Thanks.

Raggz
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Picking skins via the plane options do not work for now as it's bugged.

Stiboo
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
it will be nice to see what a custom skin looks like with markings already included ( ie - markings off in game) and what the weathering looks like on that...

Friendly_flyer
04-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Here's a Romanian 109 made by Jaws2002, originally posted over at the UBI forum. As you can see, desent skins can be made for CoD:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/%3CFA%3EJaws/shot_20110401_193128.jpg

Stiboo
04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Yes

nice skin, and the weathering works well on it.

I wonder what site will be the home of COD skins....?

Friendly_flyer
04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Hm, Mission4today or some of the old sites? A new one?

The "blocky" appearance of the 109 skin is not due to bad mapping, rather to a structure layer meant to represent metal plates. It is an not entirely fortunate structural effect if you ask me. If you look in the skin folder and find the Hurricane blank, you can see how the blocky layer is absent from the canvas covered parts.