PDA

View Full Version : swapped cpu on motherboard = 1 activation left :(

highness
04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
i have swapped cpu from i7 to an i5 on my mb, and got the activation nailed in Steam

the message was saying something like due to a "significant" hardware change, the activation blabla blabla..

the "significant" hardware change was just a cpu change! what the hell???:confused:

ps: i have other games installed with my steam account (ARMA2 OA, Mafia II etc) havent launched those yet since i have swapped cpu, i blieve those activations will be nailed as well! :evil:

Tvrdi
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
where are now those lurkers claiming Steam is a super thing?

Fritz X
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM

"I'm right with you, Red Three!"

Honestly, don't blame Steam for things it hasn't got anything to do with in the first place.
The activation you lost applies to the Solidshield DRM and has got nothing to do with Steam.

Ps.: CPU as well as GPU changes have been considered as "major changes" for quite some time now, making people to have re-activate certain kinds of software online.

madFinn
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Ps.: CPU as well as GPU changes have been considered as "major changes" for quite some time now, making people to have re-activate certain kinds of software online.

I changed my GPU only yesterday, and wasn't nailed by solidshield. Maybe if you're changing CPU and GPU you should change one first, re-run the game, then the other. Might save an activation. Also, they have a support email you can always send a request for an additional activation if you run out in any month. I definitely would, perhaps if they get enough people tripping on the 3 initial activations plus one more per month up to a limit of three, they'll increase the number - perhaps they don't realise how much people will be changing their rigs to try to get this game playable right now.

highness
04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
ok i have just tested out

seems that only il2 cod russian version i got with steam and DCS A10C were affected with the cpu change: now i have il2 cod: 1 activation left (how generous!!!) :evil: and DCS A10C: 6 activations left

Armed Assault II didn't bitch about the "significant" hardware change and all the DLC's i have with it (AO, BAF, PMC) started normally through Steam as well

in fact, i should have had deactivated them before swapping cpu's

JG52Uther
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't think you can deactivate CoD to save an activation though... :(

Feuerfalke
04-05-2011, 05:38 PM

If in panic, if in doubt, run in circles scream and shout.

In other words: This is DRM. DRM is set by Ubisoft.

Besides that, Mr. Witchhunter, the DRM (implemented by UBISOFT) was said to replenish activations automatically after a month or so.

Flying Pencil
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
i have swapped cpu from i7 to an i5 on my mb, and got the activation nailed in Steam

the message was saying something like due to a "significant" hardware change, the activation blabla blabla..

the "significant" hardware change was just a cpu change! what the hell???:confused:

ps: i have other games installed with my steam account (ARMA2 OA, Mafia II etc) havent launched those yet since i have swapped cpu, i blieve those activations will be nailed as well! :evil:

Honestly, don't blame Steam for things it hasn't got anything to do with in the first place.
The activation you lost applies to the Solidshield DRM and has got nothing to do with Steam.

Who sets the hardware change?

Does Windows check the system and report to software?

or is it up to the application?

Hecke
04-06-2011, 01:56 PM
just call up solidshield and tell them to give you an activation.

highness
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
since my version was purchased thru yuplay.ru and activated through steam,

then the number of activations was probably set by 1C company and not Ubisoft

i even remember having seen a contact info / email with .ru at the end

matsher
04-07-2011, 12:58 PM
just call up solidshield and tell them to give you an activation.
Hecke, If you have the number for them I'd be first in line to call...
I went to their site and there's no tel number at all only a "send a message' page.

Have sent a support mail to them 2 days ago and still no reply.

madFinn
04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Have sent a support mail to them 2 days ago and still no reply.
Check your spam filters, I emailed them a few times two days ago and each time I got a response within 3 hours by Gianni.

matsher
04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
If in panic, if in doubt, run in circles scream and shout.

In other words: This is DRM. DRM is set by Ubisoft.

Besides that, Mr. Witchhunter, the DRM (implemented by UBISOFT) was said to replenish activations automatically after a month or so.

If I may explain why people think its STEAM doing the cock-blocking...

That is because when the error messsage comes up it is from a featureless
Brand androgonious set up wizard... It doesn't say anything on it besides
the errors message saying," activation limit exceeded "

It does not say solid shield anywhere or UBISOFT or have a technical / help button to a website or a support number of any kind what-so-ever...
So don't be so hard on the guys thinking it is STEAM... When it happened to me I also immediately thought it was STEAM... It a natural assumption...

The fact that they do not put any kind of branding on their activation wizard,
in my opinion is intentional... They don't want you to know who they are and
seem to want to make getting in touch as difficult as possible. And they have been successful in this case.

Is is difficult to put your logo on a wizard. No, everyone does it, it is a branding tool and an opportunity to get your logo on every persons pc. Is is hard to put a support number or mail or web address. No, so why don't they do it?

Now everyone thinks this activation screw up is STEAMS fault.
But it is actually UBIs responsibility, they tell solid shield how many activations
the sim should have. BUT try call the UBI support line in the UK 0871 664 1000.
(Found in the Game Manual)
It is not in use... So again, thanks UBI you muppets.

for anyone interested in solving this fast...

I called Ubi America tech support, at least the americans are customer service obsessed.
I spoke to the guys there and he also tried to get in touch with UBI UK and couldn't... So he escalated my support request to the manager and they promised a swift reply... that was last night and still nothing as of 4.30 pm today. If you want to call them yourself the number is +1 919 460 9778.

To their credit they did seem quite concerned about the activation issue for what its worth.

Buzpilot
04-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Sombody know if changing joystick make us loose one activation?
Could be a coincidence but after I removed one usb joystick with FFB (not in use anyway in CloD), I was missing a file next morning,(or after reboot)
and could not start CloD, to fix this I reinstalled, and it did activate once more.

PeterPanPan
04-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I just changed my mobo and have no problems starting the game. No loss of activation at all. Don't know why that should be the case, but I'm happy anyway!

PPanPan