PDA

View Full Version : "CTD" but game still running - no crash.

Strike
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Weird...

Sometimes when flying CoD and viewing certain high-detailed scenarios such as a bomber formation or many planes in the air at the same time. My GPU will be under normal operating conditions, the FPS smooth and screen freezes for 1 second, goes black and brings me to windows. The game keeps running in the background (I can still fire my guns and control it, swap views but I cannot get the game to load up the graphics again).

All I see is my windows desktop.

If I hit ESC it brings me back to the game menu instantly, but if I click "FLY" again, it goes back to desktop. Really strange.

Only way to get back ingame is to restart the game.

lbuchele
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Weird...

Sometimes when flying CoD and viewing certain high-detailed scenarios such as a bomber formation or many planes in the air at the same time. My GPU will be under normal operating conditions, the FPS smooth and screen freezes for 1 second, goes black and brings me to windows. The game keeps running in the background (I can still fire my guns and control it, swap views but I cannot get the game to load up the graphics again).

If I hit ESC it brings me back to the game menu instantly, but if I click "FLY" again, it goes back to desktop. Really strange.

That's EXACTLY what happens to me sometimes.
No idea what to do ,probably a driver issue,I'm using the latest nvidia beta driver(270)

Strike
04-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Now I'm getting this error more often, without bombers in sight.

Suddenly screen goes black, shows desktop.. If I hit esc, it takes me to the ingame pause-menu. I have to quit the game and start it up again to play again. No graphics drivers crash during this event.

Drivers 270.51

Good FPS some settings low and others high. Happens both when in low settings and high settings, especially when viewing multi-crewed bombers..

jdbecks
04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Same problem for me also, but only since the last patch, pre patch it run without a single CTD.

my system specs:

Q9650 @ 3.6
4gb ram
Nforce 780i
GTX 470 2gb
Vista 32

I tried the latest beta drives and the latest offical drivers, I have seen somewhere it might be an issue with Microsoft Framework .4?

Strike
04-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah now I finally saw an error message saying that the Nvidia display driver detected a crash of the Nvidia OPENGL driver, telling me I need to exit the 3D application for it to be restored.

Weird, also crashed less pre-patch... :confused:

Tried both latest stable and beta drivers to no success!

jojovtx
06-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I still have this issue. Matter of fact just happened yesterday. My Trackir 5 crashed as well stating some sort of opengl error.

t4trouble
06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
More than likely its your GPU overheating, reduce your GPU clocks ,take off
side panel of case if its not well vented,manual set GPU fan 100%.I could not
play CoD till i lowered my GPU clocks,graphics clock,memory clock, processor
clock.I kepted getting black screens sound still in the back ground blue screens
aswel as driver has stopped responding.I have a factory oc BFGgtx285ocx put it back to the stock clocks problem gone.

jojovtx
06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I cleaned out my laptop and lowered some settings. I thought it was temp at first too. However, my temp has dropped from 90*C to the mid 50*C range while playing. When the latest crash happened my GPU temp was only 52*C. Now the frequency has gone down and I agree 100% that majority of the crashes are from overheating, or should I say were. Now the black screen crash happens much more rarely but it still happens. This last crash did not have the window pop up stating the nvidia display driver stopped responding.

t4trouble
06-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I see you have a saitek 52,i have the pro version and somtimes the drivers
for the stick caused my game to crash, not saying its gonna fix your black
screens but as another possible cause.I have win7 64bit i cant use the saitek profile program SST_Software_64_6_6_6_9 caused alot of issues.

Skoshi Tiger
06-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Weird...

If you leave it for a while, do you get a message similar to "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"?

If so it could be a conflict with a video player codec like Klite. To fix this you'ld need to run ffshow and put the game on the list of applications NOT to use the codec.

Cheers