PDA

View Full Version : Track IR 4 or 5 ?

IbnSolmyr
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Please guys, could you help me in choosing the right Track IR hardware ? :)

Actually, my question is more : Are some of Track IR 4 users experiencing some probs with CloD ? What is the real interest of the 5 ? I know it's better in terms of capture resolution, but is it really more precise ? Do i "need" to spend the ~50 euros more ?

Thanks in advance for the feedback ! :-P

Skiiwa
04-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Im Still Useing my TrackIR3 with vector expansion and I will tell U what, Its been the best investment for my simming experiance EVER! If it wont hurt much, spend the extra. U will not regret it! I require any flightsim I buy now to use it and its a huge plus when buying any other game. My trackir works great in IL2 COD. Now if they can just fix the texture problems im having becasue of dx9 rendering problems I would be very happy:)

Macka
04-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I upgraded from TrackIR 4 to 5 and did'nt notice any difference for me.

janik_dk
04-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Skiiwa:
What profile/settings do you use? (in the trackIR software)

_RAAF_Smouch
04-05-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm running IR 4 and noticed that in game I could not get the view centred and stable.

I was using a "default" profile with all 6 axes usable. Should I try the IR 5 drivers?

Skiiwa
04-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Janik< I just use the default smooth profile. Im useing the beta drivers. 5.3 or somthing. Im at work and can't look. I wont be at home for about 8 more hrs but I will post version when I get home

JG14_Jagr
04-05-2011, 01:48 AM
4 or 5 both worked fine for me. Word of advice, do NOT leave the track IR USB plugged in.. unplug it when you are done using it..they are notorious for everheating and failing over time... I've gone through 3 of them and they seem to last about 14-16 months then the IR light burns out or they just stop working..

Blackdog_kt
04-05-2011, 05:13 AM
I wish i knew that, mine died a couple of months ago :-P

Enfield55
04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
If your a bit technically minded check out freetrack.org. Requires 1 x hat, 3 x IR LED's, 3 x resistors, some wire, a WII remote and some patience! I've got mine going great guns and it cost me about $70 including the wii remote!

lensman1945
04-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm running TrackIR 4 with latest drivers here. Smooth as silk on the default profile (I just had to reverse some axis 'cos I use it over my shoulder with a vid projector). No centering problems for me...maybe you guys should tighten your seat harness ;)

janik_dk
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Janik< I just use the default smooth profile. Im useing the beta drivers. 5.3 or somthing. Im at work and can't look. I wont be at home for about 8 more hrs but I will post version when I get home

Thanks - appreciated :)

airsheep
04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
hello there
is it possible to use only two axes (xy) in the game using a trackir4?
in game i can use all axes even when I configure only two axes in the tr software...
or maybe I miss something... I'm using 4.1.038 soft

sg1221
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Track IR ( Natural Point ) team are aware of some centering issues with CoD

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=46985#Post46985

sg

IbnSolmyr
04-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Word of advice, do NOT leave the track IR USB plugged in.. unplug it when you are done using it..they are notorious for everheating and failing over time... I've gone through 3 of them and they seem to last about 14-16 months then the IR light burns out or they just stop working..

Sorry, but i don't really understand what you explain.. Could you try a new time ? :o Thanks in advance.

bkdamon
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm running IR 4 and noticed that in game I could not get the view centred and stable.

I was using a "default" profile with all 6 axes usable. Should I try the IR 5 drivers?

The only issue I had was my centering key is F12 which conflicts with the Steam screen shot so I moved it to F11 and no problems.

janik_dk
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Is it just me - or is it very difficult to hit anything with TrackIR?

I am totally new to this... so it might be that - but i find it hard to aling the corsshair on to the plane and actually hit it..

My settings in IR software:

Profile: Smooth

Speed: 1.3
Smooth: 12

Advanced settings:

Motion adjustment
all axis to "smooth".

Actually i find it works quite good inside the IR software - but inside COD and with a DO 17 in front of me, it's sort of chaos! :)

Just me being a newbie? :)

Blackdog_kt
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
If your a bit technically minded check out freetrack.org. Requires 1 x hat, 3 x IR LED's, 3 x resistors, some wire, a WII remote and some patience! I've got mine going great guns and it cost me about $70 including the wii remote!

I'm using it already with my webcam and my trackclip pro left-over from my TrackIR 4 setup. It's good and cheap, but i can't for the life of me make it work accurately enough. If it's as fast as i want it's too jerky, if it's smooth it's too slow, etc etc.

I really can't afford a new TrackIR right now and after hearing they have a habit of dying often the idea is even less appealing, but freetrack is not exactly doing a perfect job for me either and there's not many alternatives with so much widespread support.

Overall it's the precision i care about the most, since i fly with CEM and temperature effects enabled. Some Luftwaffe aircraft have instruments to monitor on the engine nacelles and many others have useful indicators on the wings (spit flaps, 109 radiators, ect), so being able to maintain a steady look over the wing without having to drop overall responsiveness to a crawl would be nice (this was an issue with trackIR as well, it's just that in the TIR software it's much easier to edit the response curves).

Do you think it's worth it to get a Playstation 3 camera that can do 120FPS and has a higher IR sensitivity as a dedicated FT camera?

What i mean is, will a higher frame rate allow faster response while still maintaining a smooth and precise ride?

These PS3 cams are quite cheap (about 30 Euros from a local e-shop) and it's easy to find customized PC drivers for most operating systems, so if the higher native FPS makes a difference i'd be willing to give it a go.

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
4 or 5 both worked fine for me. Word of advice, do NOT leave the track IR USB plugged in.. unplug it when you are done using it..they are notorious for everheating and failing over time... I've gone through 3 of them and they seem to last about 14-16 months then the IR light burns out or they just stop working..

Jag is this the case even if you exit the software cus no lights are on then or does just the fact that its usb'd use it up?
thanks

Viper2000
04-05-2011, 11:51 PM
I couldn't make TIR4 work well in CoD with the TIR4 software, but I'm having success using TIR4 hardware with the TIR5 software. :)

If the IR LEDs go out then that's often a driver issue rather than a hardware failure. I've had it happen several times over the years (I guess my TIR4 is about 5 now, and has been plugged in & powered up for 95% of the time I've owned it). LEDs generally have extremely long MTBF (order of 10^5 hours), so you'd have to be extremely unlucky to lose a set of 4 all at once, especially in <18 months.

The fix is to go through the troubleshooting advice in the online manuals. It's a pain uninstalling the software and going through multiple reboots etc, but it has worked consistently for me and it's a lot cheaper than buying new hardware!

Enfield55
04-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Blackdog, I use the wii remote which is 100 frames and smooth as silk. I tried with a webcam for a while and it was far too stuttery. Not sure on the PS3 cam. The wiimote looks for IR light though so it works a treat in most lighting condiions...

Blackdog_kt
04-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Roger, thanks for the information. Since it's possible to achieve smooth control with a high FPS camera i'll probably try one out at some point.