PDA

View Full Version : Video of London on max settings with no stuttering.

Les
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Firstly, my apologies to all the Brits, this was all done in the name of science, I hope you understand.

Just made a short video so we can at least see London on full resolution even if we can't play it.

Edit - Video removed.

Used an old technique wherein the game is slowed down so as to make it run smooth, then recorded using FRAPS, then that recording is sped up again in a video editor and exported out in a final normal speed version.

What you're seeing is London @ 1920x1200 with all in-game settings maxed out, but with the resolution lowered to 1280x720 to fit on Vimeo.

When you slow down the game you lose the sound, but you could try dubbing in some sounds from another recording if you wanted to.

This was just a quick test, others should be able to make some proper video's using the technique.

Wynthorpe
04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Cant wait till we can actually run the sim like this! How have you setup AA in this?! I cannot get mine to look as smooth.

Les
04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Cant wait till we can actually run the sim like this! How have you setup AA in this?! I cannot get mine to look as smooth.

8xAA in-game. 8xSQ [Combined: 2x2 SS + 2x MS] with NVIDIA Inspector, not sure if that's what's being used in-game though.

pupaxx
04-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Les please,
what are your FRAPS settings in capturing video.
I can only make capture at half screen size, but when I playback the Video I experience colours artifacts. Inflight sequencies are missin some RGB channel, in games menus are correctly rendered
Thx

etzi
04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
You cannot see the stuttering in a video, because the playback is smooth, because of the fixed fps in a video every time!

born2thrill
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
haha seen the other vid of the hurri, thats 1 way to escape mate lol

Les
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Les please,
what are your FRAPS settings in capturing video.
I can only make capture at half screen size, but when I playback the Video I experience colours artifacts. Inflight sequencies are missin some RGB channel, in games menus are correctly rendered
Thx

I'm capturing full size at 30fps. I don't know what might be causing your artifacts, sorry. There's a setting called 'Force lossless RGB capture (may be slower)', maybe you could try that.

pupaxx
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Thx!

Qpassa
04-04-2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

Coen020
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
that video above is so wrong...it's ... no it's just wrong :P

Les
04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Here's another clip - http://www.vimeo.com/21929549

It looks to me like Vimeo has compressed a lot of details out of this one, it's clearer on the 1280x720 version that you can download via the link on the lower right of the screen. Do that if you want to see it in more detail.

This one was slowed down as much as possible then sped up 800% instead of 400%. I think it makes the movement look more normal, but it also speeds up the jerkiness of the camera I was trying to control as slowly as possible with TrackIR, sorry about that.

Rattlehead
04-04-2011, 07:33 PM
It does look gorgeous, doesn't it? :-P

Sadly, there is no way in hell my humble PC could cope at those settings. Upgrade time?

Les
04-04-2011, 10:04 PM
It does look gorgeous, doesn't it? :-P

Sadly, there is no way in hell my humble PC could cope at those settings. Upgrade time?

I wouldn't upgrade until the performance optimizations are complete and there's a clear path that will lead to definite results. I'd need to know what hardware will let me play at what settings and then decide what those settings are worth buying hardware for.

On maxed out graphics settings I've seen single digit frame-rates over cities. That means, even if optimizations end up doubling frame-rates over those areas, it still won't be playable, only giving a maximum of 20fps. If SLI gets fixed and it scales 100%, then that, combined with the optimizations, could give me 30-40fps, maybe. But I don't want to go SLI. So I'll have to decide what settings I want to turn down, (probably about 10-15 fps worth.)

Playing maxed out, in all locations, with an i7 920 @3.8GHz and a GTX580 just isn't going to be an option by the look of it. Not that I expected it to be...

Sorry, just thinking out loud. I guess what I'm saying is, we're all in the same boat, as I think even when it's fully optimized by the developers, CloDo will humble all our PC's for a couple of years yet. You can only optimize so much before you have to accept the sheer amount of stuff you're dealing with will have to dictate what kind of performance you can get. No news there.

choctaw111
04-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for sharing this.
By the way. Those are some really powerful machine guns :)
What settings did you use to sink the bridge with 303's?

Les
04-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this.
By the way. Those are some really powerful machine guns :)
What settings did you use to sink the bridge with 303's?

No worries. 303's and cannons I believe, whatever the default Spit loadout is for the London scenic tour Quick Mission. Must admit I got a bit of a surprise when I saw the bridge going down for the first time (did it a couple of times), I just sort of sprayed it too, wasn't directed fire, not that that would make a difference, must be a bug or a joke/Easter Egg type thing.

Edit - Just remembered the Spits in CloDo don't have cannons, so yeah, just 303's. Forgetfulness aside, that was the first time I'd fired the Spits guns and I was pressing both triggers and seeing what I thought were cannon hits as the plane started to yaw wildly, with no sound to tell the difference either, I just assumed too much and wasn't really paying attention.

bkdamon
04-05-2011, 03:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

Que te pasa Qpassa? eso no es correcto! LOL!!

Les
04-06-2011, 02:15 AM
One more clip, this time in a Tiger Moth, checking out some monuments in London city - http://www.vimeo.com/22002853

Yambretta
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Living in London I've never seen Tower Bridge floating in the middle of the Thames without any connections at the ends before. ;)

Les
04-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Hey all, 2014 called again and left another video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0hqgVjzzDM

This was just meant to be a bit of fun, but when I first watched it I realized how dreadful it must have been for those who had to do it for real. In some ways it must have been a little like this, but mostly, I imagine, it was actually a hell of a lot worse.:cry:

Salute.

Prop~Strike
04-11-2011, 05:01 AM

Yes.... but friggin' hilarious!!!..... I almost jizzed in my pants:o

PE_Tigar
04-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Any reason to put this video up is welcome :D.