PDA

View Full Version : HELP*little White dots/squares aka Artifacts

Ze-Jamz
04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Does anyone else have this issue? its especially apparent on the cockpit frame..its to do with shading and i cant isolate it or remove them by using different settings..

my GPU is oveclocked but ive tried standard settings etc, different drivers, in game settings reslutions and i cant rid of them.. they are little white/snowy dots in small groups of 4 scattered here and there but only on certain areas..

i have this on the new 3Dmark underwater demo with the submarine which i can live with (dont use it!) but i cant live with it on a game i hope to play regularly so i hope im not the only one experiencing this..

Ive googled it and they are known as Artifacts and happen with certain hardware setups and shading etc etc

nothing on water,land just cocpit frame and if i goto external view they are on the actual Aircraft so it completely ruins any imersion you may have, SS's etc.

i cannot be the only one who gets these who play this game (or tried :p)

help please

Krt_Bong
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
You might want to post your system specs; Mobo, CPU, Vid card and Ram, OS etc...

Ze-Jamz
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Windows 7 32bit
AMD phenom1055t CPU O/C 3.5
Gigabyte Mobo
4 Gig Crucial RAM
ATI HD5770 GPU

this only happens on some combinations and CoD just happens to be one of those....typical

baffa
04-05-2011, 12:35 AM
It looks like a overheating problem or a permanent damage from that overclock you did on your graphics card.

Try cleaning the fans from dust and maybe rearrange cables etc in your case for a better airflow.

kingpinda
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Yep artifacts ussually are an indication of overheating of the gpu. is there a way you can monitor your gpu temp in game? ie. using a program like everest and displaying it on your g15 logitech lcd for instance? or if you don't have that available letting a program like everest report the data in a txt file.

Ze-Jamz
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
This isnt an issue with Overcocking or heat fellas..

i kinow this because:

A) 3DMark11 was the first program i used when installing this card to make sure everything weas working ok and it had these Artifacts then but as everything else worked ok i wasnt concerned

B) I can play Crysis2 on Hardcore GFX settings on a resolution of 1920x1200 with VSync enabled with no problems whatsoever apart from a slight decrease in FPS when there is loads going on

Its damm annoying because like i said before i knew i would come across a game where i would haver to put up with it, it was inevitable just didnt think it would be THIS one!

All other versions of 3DMARK work fine, all other games work fine so im hoping someone else has this card and OS so i can get some feedback..i dont want to return the card and be without one for a few days if i can help it OR do i want to change my OS..

This card is in the list of supported cards so what testing did they do to come to that decission and on what OS's i wonder....

the fact that it only happens on 3d mark11 and this game leads me to believe its not the GPU cuz that just doesnt make sence..its conflicting somewhere along the line so im not sure wether this card should be in the 'supported list' or not :S

Ze-Jamz
04-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Lol after firing up thje buggy mess that is ClOD..joystick decided not to work when i went into external view..gota love this game :(

i had AMD Overdrive runing in the background..standard frequencies with max fan speed and temp was 39C when i checked it and right from the start i have artifacts, they dont get worse as i play so its not heat related im sure of it..

in my other thread someone is running this card but has the 64win7 version and doesnt have any issues, im running 32bitWin7..

just dont get it

kingpinda
04-05-2011, 11:12 AM
edit I cant read

Ennosigaios
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I have those artifacts as well, but only in the rearview mirror. Nowhere else as far as I can tell.

My system:
P7P55D PRO, i7 860, 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600, HD5870, SB X-fi, Win7 64, TM HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Everything on stock clocks...

BTW. AA doesn't seem to work at all, no matter what settings I try in game or in Catalyst

doghous3
04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
This is interesting. I can confirm it's at least not a heat problem. All I can do is tell you my situation at that time.

Ati HD5970. Core clock/mem not ramping up for CoD.

There was a thread about using ATI tools to lock the clock/mem. As the standard CCC didn't offer this option for me. I did this, but found it utterly unstable, lock-up, freeze.. had to reboot.

I did get into the game at some point, and soon as I got in the cock-pit I had the small white dot artefacts as described.

I don't know why. The card was forced at stock speeds.

Anyway, a friend told me to check that Flash Player doesn't have "enable hardware accelaration", this in itself for some reason with CoD forced a lower clock speed.

I unchecked this, and disabled the ATI tool option of force clock, and now my clock/mem is as it should be in a 3D app, and no artefacts.

Ze-Jamz
04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
what flash payer are you refering too?

and from what i can tell i only hear of ATI cards having these Artifacts..

ive tried clocking/unclocking..forcing DX9 ingame, nothing seems to work..its Pi$$ing me off tbh

Ze-Jamz
04-05-2011, 02:37 PM
*UPDATE*

Ok so ive uninstalled everything to do with ATI on my system through registry and driver cleaner and ive installed an older Catalyst driver from Dec2010

now the strange thing is i now have no water but just a green mess which i didnt have before BUT the artifacts have now gone, i do see water clearly in my rear mirror though..

I thought id sorted it but on installing 3DMark11 again and running it i still have the artifacts on that program *shake the head is confusion*

I can bet if i update my GFX drivers now il have water back and the artifacts will return..

il keep you posted

Ze-Jamz
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
New drivers installed (new catalyst) and i still dont have artifacts which is a good thing..having no water though isnt

scissorss
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Just wanted to say I am running a system very similar to yours and am not experiencing any of these problems, so it may be something locally.

AMD Phenom II x4
HD5770
4GB DDR3

Ze-Jamz
04-23-2011, 02:07 PM
returned card to be tested..came up as faulty :rolleyes:

strange considering every other title i play i dont have or have seen any problems but this game and 3dmark11 highlighted a fault with the card..

i have a loan card HD5700 and have no issues..

problem solved