PDA

View Full Version : Online gameplay vids anyone?

JG27_PapaFly
04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
We've seen a lot of offline gameplay and sightseeing vids, now let's have some real online action. Humans only please.
It hurts my eyes every time i see the incredibly unnatural way AIs fly. Full rudder deflections a lot of times, they wobble their way all across the map, which is in complete contrast to the the natural look and detail of the planes.

So, where are the classic mano a mano dogfights between spits, hurris and 109s? Where are bounces and boom and zoom attacks? Where's a good vulch run in a 110? If i buy this game than just to play it online with my mates.

Blackdog_kt
04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I think it will take a while.

Between people configuring their systems with custom tweaks, waiting for the patches and the staggered releases, there's not too many available servers around and certainly not dedicated ones. Moreover, there's an issue with Steam that currently prevents the built-in server browser from working.

I've joined a DF server once a few days ago, but it was hosted by a community member on his own PC for a few hours: the guy helpfully posted the IP in these forums and people would join via direct IP connection.

There's a whole lot of work involved at present and not just on the developer's side: most of us don't yet know how to start-up certain aircraft, how to level bomb properly and so on, so it's limited to quick furballs with fighters only for the time being.
For example, sometimes it takes some pretty in-depth knowledge of the aircraft to be able to identify if something is a bug or an intended feature due to the way the real thing worked. Pending documentation or figuring it out on ourselves we can't really be sure either way until we know how each aircraft works, because the sim does model each flyable's particular intricacies to a large extent.

It was the same back when IL2 was released in 2001, it's just a matter of time until it picks up speed. I guess after the western hemisphere release things will start going much faster:
a) we're expecting two optimization patches before that date
b) more servers to play around with and in more timezones.

JG27_PapaFly
04-05-2011, 07:12 AM
RGRT.
C'mon guys give us one lousy online dogfight flic ;)

JimmyGiro
04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
RGRT.
C'mon guys give us one lousy online dogfight flic ;)

Fight, fight, fight...

:grin: