PDA

View Full Version : April 2 Patch News

sg1221
04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Just saw this , don't know if it's already posted elsewhere on the forum...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3258080/2_April_Progress_Update.html#Post3258080

major_setback
04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Interesting! Thanks.

They seem to be working very quickly on the 'problems'.

jimbop
04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Just saw this , don't know if it's already posted elsewhere on the forum...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3258080/2_April_Progress_Update.html#Post3258080

thanks, good one

sod16
04-03-2011, 11:12 PM
This has been posted on THIS forum in REAL english.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20055

sg1221
04-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I could be wrong but I think these are two different posts on different days.
This one is dated for yesterday . If I'm wrong......sorry , just trying to help
keep folks up to date :)

tranquillity
04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
No I think you are right sg1221, those are two different postings by luthier:)

This has been posted on THIS forum in REAL english.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20055

no offense, but I found that really funny:)
the kind of rough translation does in no way resemble the roadmap which you referred to;)
sorry;)

@topic: good news, looking forward to the patch.
I hope the devs won't get burnout syndrome, to be honest.
Better have a free afternoon every now and then, than being all tired.
A pause will increase the workflow after the pause won't it`?;)

Meusli
04-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Darn it no SLI/Crossfire for a month. :(

Kankkis
04-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Weird that there is no that patch update for us.

Kankkis

sod16
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
No I think you are right sg1221, those are two different postings by luthier:)

no offense, but I found that really funny:)
the kind of rough translation does in no way resemble the roadmap which you referred to;)
sorry;)

They are both the same post... They both have 7 points and roughly talk about the same thing. With the russian one he gives rough dates. He talks about SLI, multicore support, forrests and houses as he does with us. They are the same, with slight extra and bad english in the russian one.

Nike-it
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
The Russian post contains updated info, I'll ask Luthier to post both such updates on our forum too.

Nike-it
04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
1. Optimization of homes is almost ready, it is necessary to test for another day or two to make sure that it does not add unexpected glitches. Houses have become so fast that the flight with full houses are now just a couple fps slower than the performance without homes.

2. Optimization of the forest goes a little slower, but still looks optimistic. We'll add new setting “Variety” for woods, which roughly speaking allows you to place fir trees instead of various shrubs and trees that would raise productivity. Otherwise, the forest will be the faster due to some deterioration in the overall impression – far away trees will appear more slowly.

3. Optimization of the shadows - a separate problem from the houses (in test number 1 was measured without shadows). As it turned out, the problem is not in the code, but in the models, particularly in some cabins. We use very precise alpha on small details and this causes very big slowdowns. We must check all models, to identify all such places and to correct them; as a result we will have very strong growth of FPS everywhere, due to small loss in beauty.

4. Support for SLI - do, as soon as the number 1 and number 3. As I have already written somewhere, it can be very rapid fix but also may require serious consultation with the manufacturers of the cards that will take much longer. I can not yet say for sure.

5. Microfrizes over the landscape caused 99% by the trees. Working on number 3 will solve this. Instant uploads will still remain in the game, as it is impossible to keep all the giant map in the memory all the time. It is necessary to dynamically load the required landscaping. This happens, in my opinion, once every 12 kilometers, and is smooth and size, so it will be very little noticeable.

6. MP windows are almost ready, we need a day or two for tests.

7. Overall graphics optimization - selection of rendering into a single thread - a dramatic increase of FPS (roughly doubled). This work will take at least a month.

Thus, the plan is simple - to release next week small patches, which will include a number 1, 2, 6, and possibly number 3. Then, in the circumstances - is likely to support SLI will release along with the number 7 sometime before the end of April - early May.

jimbop
04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
1. Optimization of homes is almost ready, it is necessary to test for another day or two to make sure that it does not add unexpected glitches. Houses have become so fast that the flight with full houses are now just a couple fps slower than the performance without homes.

2. Optimization of the forest goes a little slower, but still looks optimistic. We'll add new setting “Variety” for woods, which roughly speaking allows you to place fir trees instead of various shrubs and trees that would raise productivity. Otherwise, the forest will be the faster due to some deterioration in the overall impression – far away trees will appear more slowly.

3. Optimization of the shadows - a separate problem from the houses (in test number 1 was measured without shadows). As it turned out, the problem is not in the code, but in the models, particularly in some cabins. We use very precise alpha on small details and this causes very big slowdowns. We must check all models, to identify all such places and to correct them; as a result we will have very strong growth of FPS everywhere, due to small loss in beauty.

4. Support for SLI - do, as soon as the number 1 and number 3. As I have already written somewhere, it can be very rapid fix but also may require serious consultation with the manufacturers of the cards that will take much longer. I can not yet say for sure.

5. Microfrizes over the landscape caused 99% by the trees. Working on number 3 will solve this. Instant uploads will still remain in the game, as it is impossible to keep all the giant map in the memory all the time. It is necessary to dynamically load the required landscaping. This happens, in my opinion, once every 12 kilometers, and is smooth and size, so it will be very little noticeable.

6. MP windows are almost ready, we need a day or two for tests.

7. Overall graphics optimization - selection of rendering into a single thread - a dramatic increase of FPS (roughly doubled). This work will take at least a month.

Thus, the plan is simple - to release next week small patches, which will include a number 1, 2, 6, and possibly number 3. Then, in the circumstances - is likely to support SLI will release along with the number 7 sometime before the end of April - early May.

Thanks, we almost got into an argument there ;)

senseispcc
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
This is a GREAT game, not yet perfect but it is comming soon...

Winger
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM

That is exactly what i think too. Only problem is that i am sooo impatient. I want to PLAY:)

Winger

lbuchele
04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
That is exactly what i think too. Only problem is that i am sooo impatient. I want to PLAY:)

Winger
I'm having a lot of fun already even at this unfinished state.
Best news is that things only can improve with time...:cool:

Sven
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Great news!

sod16
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM

It would have been nice if they released it in June, but without us, there would have been no Alpha testing. I suppose they have no choice especially with a team of 22 people.

BigPickle
04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
thanks for the update Nike-It, can you ask luither about the multicore optimisation, or is it covered by the above points?

jimbop
04-04-2011, 08:19 PM
thanks for the update Nike-It, can you ask luither about the multicore optimisation, or is it covered by the above points?

Covered, I think - #7.

335th_GRAthos
04-04-2011, 08:38 PM
M a n y t h a n k s f o r t h e h e a d s - u p !!!

JG14_Jagr
04-05-2011, 12:37 AM
The key for the Devs is to get things working better for the US release.. most of the reviews will be based on that. Games sold early in the release period sell for the highest prices and basically recoup more of the dev money quicker. If people wait and buy it in 8 months in the bargain bin the number of games sold even if good will be at minimal profit. Now that the "Panic" is for the most part over, a good patch release or two before the next major release will generate a lot of positive commentary and stimulate sales.. If that happens, things will be good.. There will be continued development and optimization which will both add new content, and make the game better to play..a win win all around.

JumpingHubert
04-05-2011, 06:11 AM
thanks for update. But whats with the broken Antialiasing? The planes far away have jaggies like hell.

Tvrdi
04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
The key for the Devs is to get things working better for the US release..

9 days of destiny LOL

bw_wolverine
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
9 days of destiny LOL

April 19th is the new D-Day

(Download Day).