PDA

View Full Version : Need help with PC upgrade

PVT.Roger
04-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Hope it's o.k. to post this. I haven't done a PC upgrade, or for that matter done much gaming in quite awhile. But with CoD it looks like the time is right. I'm a novide when it comes to these things, but know that a lot of you guys are experts, so will really appreciate your help.

Below is what I have now. I have $1,500 dollars (US) to use for an upgrade. Suggestions on the best use of that are what I'm looking for.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16 GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
4 Gig Corsair Ram

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I don't worry about insulting my system, I know it's old. :)

PvtRoger

Skinny
04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
It seems CoD doesnt make good use of >2 cores, so believe it or not, your CPU might be acceptable for CoD (especially if you tried overclocking it). From my testing (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20438), it seems the amount of videocard memory ought to be your primary (secondary and possibly tertiary) concern. If I where you, Id buy one of those oddball 3GB nvidia cards and keep the rest for now. It might actually run the game fine. If not, you can always spend the money later.

PVT.Roger
04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks Skinny! I'll look into a 3gb Nividia card.

PvtRoger

sg1221
04-03-2011, 10:42 PM
If you could possibly hold off another week or two , you should get a much better
idea of what's needed to run CoD well. It sounds like there maybe a couple pretty serious patches coming very soon which could make a big difference in hardware requirements ;)

Skinny
04-04-2011, 06:25 AM
If you could possibly hold off another week or two , you should get a much better
idea of what's needed to run CoD well. It sounds like there maybe a couple pretty serious patches coming very soon which could make a big difference in hardware requirements ;)

+1

jimbop
04-04-2011, 07:26 AM

+1. Just wait a week or two.

PVT.Roger
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys!

:-D