PDA

View Full Version : FPS Limiter to Reduce Stuttering

Bertram W. Wooster
04-03-2011, 05:01 AM
The use of a third-party FPS limiter to reduce the load on the graphics subsystem and thereby reduce the amount of stuttering in games will be familiar to all of us who have spent time tweaking FSX. Unfortunately, the FPSLimiter program commonly used for FSX doesn't support DX10 and so won't work with CoD. This looks to be a suitable replacement:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143432

Following the instructions given on that page and setting the FPS limit to 24 has greatly reduced stuttering in CoD when flying over land on my system. I still suffer occasional stutters, especially at the beginning of a mission, but they happen much less frequently now and the game is appreciably more playable than it was.

It's definitely worth a try. I am interested to hear if it reduces stuttering on other people's systems too.

E6500 2.93GHz @ 4.0GHz
Radeon HD 4850 1GB @ stock clocks
4GB DDR2-800
Win7 64-bit Home Premium

Wolf_Rider
04-03-2011, 05:17 AM
present still would be shudder when flying over ground (Its an inherent fault with LCD screens, as any fps under the monitor refresh rate does this)

using the limiter to cap rate @ 60 is good (which the FSX problem was vga sync/ ingame sync wasn't working

Wurschtie
04-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I know that option from my FSX days. FSX had this built in.

The idea is to limit the framerate to a playable rate, e.g. 30fps, where the system would normally do 60fps. This way, the system resources used to render the additional 30 fps can be used in advance for the next frames, giving you a better performance overall.

etzi
04-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi,

The idea is to limit the framerate to a playable rate, e.g. 30fps, where the system would normally do 60fps. This way, the system resources used to render the additional 30 fps can be used in advance for the next frames, giving you a better performance overall.

The fps limiter in FSX doesn´t work for me.

Wolf_Rider
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi,

makes no difference with a LCD monitor... anything less than the monitor's refresh rate will have juddering on ground textures.

A lot of peoples' machines with FSX found it capable of getting far more than 60fps, yet ingame and vga Vsync didn't seem to work.

NECyclone
04-03-2011, 07:29 PM
This has helped my system. It hasn't fixed it but certainly it has helped reduce a lot of my stutters. Low fps areas like over London are still low fps but without the big stutters. Other non low fps areas have become much more enjoyable to fly in now.