PDA

View Full Version : so now, multi-core and hyperthreading

Flyby
04-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I understand the sim will have it's optimizing code improved for using multi-core processors. Does anyone know if hyper-threading is being supported? I ask because aside from not supporting hyper-threading, the i-2500k seems a great performance value compared to the i-2600k (which has hyper threading). I wonder if hyper threading is even beneficial to this sim? The 2600k costs $100.00 more than the 2500k. So what's up with CoD and hyper threading? ;) That's money towards GPU performance.
Flyby out

335th_GRAthos
04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
This is good enough for me, while waiting for SLI to get ready and the things Kalimba mentioned
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20055&page=12

So overall, why spend time on HT when the real value for money today is a true 4-cores CPU? In the coming years there will not be enough demnd to cover the potential of 4-cores.

kalimba
It is very promising
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading hundreds of posts, and seeing actual FPS of 20 to 30 FPS over land and buildings in low

setting with average PCs reported by many players , I have to admit that if Luthier reaches his goals , we

are in for a good ride within few weeks:

1. Performance increase. Over terrain, the two things that slow things down the most are trees and

buildings. We are currently in final stages of testing optimized buildings that almost double the FPS over

London on a test machine.
Tree optimization is a little farther away. You will probably see changes in how trees are rendered, they’ll

take longer to appear over terrain, but once again, performance increase should be significant.
If everything tests correctly over the weekend, both of these should be released by early to mid next week.

2. Enhanced multicore support. The mode that we unfortunately were not able to finish in time is sending all

render to a dedicated CPU core. The mode is working but somewhat buggy. It easily doubles the FPS, and the

performance boost is especially noticeable in larger missions with lots of stuff going on.

So double + double should look good ! And add the SLI in the near future And maybe 64 bits...

Salute !

madrebel
04-03-2011, 12:23 AM
hyperthreading is at best a hack that kind of works. at worst its just another buzzword to confuse you.

you should only be concerned with raw multicore support. forget hyperthreading its a marketing term with very little real world benefit.

15JG52_Brauer
04-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Hypethreading works in some apps - like video encoding - that's why I have a 990 - but it's no use as far as I can see for games (It really does work for video encoding though - if the app supports i - I've seen 12 threads munching through encoding-far quicker than with the 920 I had before - but I have never seen them used by anything else). For gaming go for the best archiecture/clockspeed - a Sandy bridge has much better bangs per buck for that - and I am sure 2500k will be great. 2600k may be better in the future- or if you use some apps - otherwise save your money. It's horses for courses.

Flyby
04-03-2011, 03:10 AM
I guess I'll have to decide how to proceed. I currently own the i7-920. Aside from a tower case, i have no other components. I suppose there are few sims out there that support hyper threading, anyway. I think it would be within reason to sell that CPU and buy the 2500K. With it's lower power consumption, and hassle-free overclocking, for a gaming rig this seems to be the prime CPU at the moment.
I'll be glad to see how CoD runs once it's been patched. Already it seems a GPU with 2gb of ram won't be wasted on this one. Now just get the core thing fixed...
Flyby out