PDA

View Full Version : COD is overtemping my GPU

nigelmcelwee
04-02-2011, 09:21 PM
When playing COD my GPU averages about 90 degrees celcius then climbs to 100...my GPU fan kicks in to cool it down to 90 celcius then fan goes back to my setting of 60 percent ehich is around 2500 RPM...the temp climbs back to 100 celcius and same process over and over again.

On ROF my GPU runs at about 65-70 degrees celcius at all times. Why is COD about to fry my video card? Its showing a full 99 percent load at all times when playing.

I have it overclocked a bit to 797/1594 however when I clocked it back down to normal and still the same thing happens. This game is taxing my GPU too hard. I verified this with two different monitoring programs.

heres a screenshot...hot much?!
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6304/tempsb.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/tempsb.jpg/)

JumpingHubert
04-02-2011, 09:34 PM
better cooling is the only logical answer.

nigelmcelwee
04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
better cooling is the only logical answer.

Better cooling is not the answer. I have no problems keeping my temps low in every other game.

kimosabi
04-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I think CoD is the new GPU benchmark we've all been waiting for. I don't know if I've seen another game that taxes the videocard as much as this game.

jimbop
04-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Look at the fan speed curve - it is not stepping up. Try playing with the fan control settings; you can manually adjust the response as the GPU activity increases.

jimbop
04-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Looks like your engine needs better cooling, too! I think I'll spend the next few weeks just learning how to fly before going online... Fullreal is going to be lots more fun.

angrueo
04-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I think CoD is the new GPU benchmark we've all been waiting for. I don't know if I've seen another game that taxes the videocard as much as this game.

Mate, how I wish we could say that. Instead, bad optimization is the answer...

kimosabi
04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Mate, how I wish we could say that. Instead, bad optimization is the answer...

Yeah, just being positive here. lol

Sauf
04-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Mine is the opposite, I have a gtx295 that runs at about 85 degrees in all other games but sits at around 63 in COD (it idles @59), dosent seem to be working it at all. Frame rates are still poor, maybe cause the 295 runs in sli?

jimbop
04-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Mine is the opposite, I have a gtx295 that runs at about 85 degrees in all other games but sits at around 63 in COD (it idles @59), dosent seem to be working it at all. Frame rates are still poor, maybe cause the 295 runs in sli?

Yes, sounds like the next patch will address SLI support and hopefully this will include multi-GPU.

Wolf_Rider
04-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm sorta hoping 1C release the coming fixes one at a time (in quickish succession)... ya know, make sure one is working correctly first then introduce the next fix, then the next, etc

nigelmcelwee
04-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Looks like your engine needs better cooling, too! I think I'll spend the next few weeks just learning how to fly before going online... Fullreal is going to be lots more fun.

haha yeah I was too busy trying to get a good screenshot and I left my radiator closed!! On the other hand I just cant play this game until something is done about the GPU temps. I run the risk of frying a 500 dollar card at these temps .

jimbop
04-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm sorta hoping 1C release the coming fixes one at a time (in quickish succession)... ya know, make sure one is working correctly first then introduce the next fix, then the next, etc

Sounds like that's what they will do. First address the foundation-level performance issues like framerate (e.g. SLI) and stuttering (e.g. better CPU usage) and then the rest. I think that making the game playable for the majority will result in a flood of FM etc bugs - already a lot on the list but what else could you expect.

jimbop
04-02-2011, 11:55 PM
haha yeah I was too busy trying to get a good screenshot and I left my radiator closed!! On the other hand I just cant play this game until something is done about the GPU temps. I run the risk of frying a 500 dollar card at these temps .

Did you try increasing the fan response? Click on the configuration spanner in EVGA Precision and then Fan, Enable software automatic fan control. You can manually change rpm:temperature.

nigelmcelwee
04-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Sounds like that's what they will do. First address the foundation-level performance issues like framerate (e.g. SLI) and stuttering (e.g. better CPU usage) and then the rest. I think that making the game playable for the majority will result in a flood of FM etc bugs - already a lot on the list but what else could you expect.

Yeah I just hope that somehow the optimizations fix my temps...as you can see my GPU usages stays pegged at 99 percent with no fluctuation during the game. Thats an awful heavy load. Somethings gotta be wrong wit hth eway the game is using my card.

sizequeen
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
You think that's bad?

My poor GTX 470 gets so upset the PC reboots mid-game.

I have Crysis 2, FSX and COD4 and none of these suffer the same problems.

I do hope a patch sorts this out or it's another £29.99 wasted.

Adam

Win 7 64bit - Nvidia GTX470

MadTommy
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Better cooling is not the answer. I have no problems keeping my temps low in every other game.

It is the answer i'm afraid.

You gpu fan is not evening running at full speed when over 90 degrees!

I have also noticed CoD makes my GTX480 run hot.... i have 2 'extra' case fans that I rarley need, hot summer days is all i generally need them for. I noticed my gpu got up to 95 degrees, i turned my extra fans on.. and low and behold temp dropped below 80. Now i turn these fans on to play CoD and i have no issues. It generally runs below 75. I also need them for Arma as well.

i'm sure as the game is increasingly optimised the gpu will have less load applied and therefore run cooler.

Bobb4
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Yes, sounds like the next patch will address SLI support and hopefully this will include multi-GPU.
SLI and multi GPU support is the same thing :grin:

Jotaele
04-06-2011, 02:59 PM
SLI and multi GPU support is the same thing :grin:
i guess he mean multicore cpu.

satchenko
04-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Try MSI Afterburner software. ;)

swiss
04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Try MSI Afterburner software. ;)

Thx for the hint.