PDA

View Full Version : How to Force Max clock speeds (ATI Cards)

Targ
04-02-2011, 06:34 PM
CLOD for now will not ramp up to 3D speed unless you force max clock speed via the CCC in the tray bar.
This is for Crossfire and duel GPU core ATI owners, I am not sure if this is an issue for single card/GPU ATI owners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4uNfWI6TiE

Triggaaar
04-02-2011, 07:52 PM
AMD cards don't appear to be running at full clock speed. Instead of about 850 MGHz they're sitting at 500 MGHz despite being run at 100%.

That youtube clip doesn't work for me, there's no option to force maximum clocks.

GHarris
04-02-2011, 08:04 PM
For what little it may be worth, my single 5870 appears to be correctly running at full clock speeds. I too had the impression that this was an issue mainly affecting Crossfire/SLI users.

Triggaaar
04-02-2011, 09:23 PM
So maybe not as issue for single GPU cards.I have a single card, and like other users are finding, it is sticking at 500 MGHz

Codex
04-02-2011, 10:33 PM
From the 4xxx series onwards all ATI cards will automatically clock down to save power when not being used in a full screen DX or OpenGL app / game.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if you ALT-TAB out of game the card(s) will power down which may explain why you'll see the clock speeds lower than max.

They should go back to maximum when the game is running in full screen mode again.

Using AMD Overdrive you can force the card(s) to run at full or overclocked speeds all the time no matter what type of app or resolution your using.

Also don't be fooled when you've got two GPU's in Crossfire mode, one card will always run higher than the other when idle, but both will fire up when you run a game. Unless of course you "Overdrive" them.

Mabroc
04-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I got a brand new Radeon 6950 2GB (I upgrade for CoD) and Im having this problem, the game is not clocking the core and the memory at the stock full power Mhz, the values are those of the desktop.

You can check the values (and others like temp and GPU load) with GPU-Z.0.5.2, start the sensors, play 20 seconds and ALT+TAB to check them (they will go down to desktop level if working properly, but you can see the graphic chart). When using any other game (I tried 3 or 4 with this card) the chart show the throttle up in game and the throttle down when ALT Tabbing to desktop.

For now Im using MSIAfterburner overclocker utility that show current values and a nice graphical chart to Overclock the core and memory Mhz by 1 Mhz only, no risks that way. I put 801mhz as core and 1251mhz as memory clock and press apply button, then go into the game (im not using the option to remember the OC with every boot). When I ALT+TAB to check after playing Im seeing the correct throttling up to those values when in game in the chart.

So is a BUG!!!!! Some ATI cards show it and others dont, Im using Windows 7 32bit (still working on a 64bit install on other partition) with the 11.3 Catalyst driver.

I see the potential of the sim, but all the little bugs and cumbersome menues, controls setup for joystick, etc are driving me mad. We need a lot of sandpaper ;-)

Targ
04-03-2011, 01:11 AM
From the 4xxx series onwards all ATI cards will automatically clock down to save power when not being used in a full screen DX or OpenGL app / game.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if you ALT-TAB out of game the card(s) will power down which may explain why you'll see the clock speeds lower than max.

They should go back to maximum when the game is running in full screen mode again.

Using AMD Overdrive you can force the card(s) to run at full or overclocked speeds all the time no matter what type of app or resolution your using.

Also don't be fooled when you've got two GPU's in Crossfire mode, one card will always run higher than the other when idle, but both will fire up when you run a game. Unless of course you "Overdrive" them.

You assumed that I am alt tabbing out of the game. What made you assume that?

Many people with duel GPU cards and crossfire have reported the card does not ramp up to 3D but stays at 2D clock speeds.

I have 2 monitors and keep CCC open on one to monitor while in game.

Phazon
04-03-2011, 01:16 AM
The bug is present for single AMD cards as well. My HD4870 does not clock up at all for Cliffs of Dover, and it is the only game it has ever done this with. As noted above, this can easily be shown using GPU-Z and sensor logging. This is using the latest 11.3 drivers.

Using Overdrive in the CCC will not work. It does not disable PowerPlay which is what controls the up/down clocking feature of the card. I'm not fully aware of the extra driver features available for Crossfire users but for single-card users this will not work at all.

The main workaround for single-card users at the moment is using a third-party overclocking utility like MSI Afterburner. It has to be a utility that is capable of overriding PowerPlay with custom clock settings. I also found with Afterburner you had to set clocks with a 1Mhz difference to get it to apply.

Anyways this is a significant issue that has yet to be officially acknowledged. The US launch is getting closer and even more AMD users will be playing the game. It needs to be fixed soon.

tjhowse
04-03-2011, 03:32 AM
I encountered this problem running windowed games. It would not kick my HD4870X2 into full speed unless I was running a full-screen game. You can disable the power-saving crap by editing the profile file and changing some settings. My card runs at max speed 100% of the time now.

Edit:
Win7: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles\nopowersaving.xml

I changed all the "Want_0" values to be the same as the "Want_1" values. You could also try playing with:

<Feature name="ForceHigh3DClocks">
<Property name="ForceHigh3DClocks" value="Disable" />
</Feature>

P.S. There's a chance you could fry your card, be careful what you change.

Armatian
04-03-2011, 09:13 AM
It's very difficult that the card downclocks if it has work to do, performance on modern gpus it's very delicated, example: pes2011, doesn't use more than 25% of my gpu, and i had mad stutter, vsync on. Incredibly, it was because frame skipping was turned on, while frame skipping is intended to keep everything running in real time, it severly downgraded my performance.
Unluckily, it seems we would need patience from both developers of cod and amd driver team.
I need extra doses of patience, since my damn ptc doesn't deliver my money, exactly 50U$S after 14000 clicks i've made last year preparing to buy cod -_-

Triggaaar
04-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if you ALT-TAB out of game the card(s) will power down which may explain why you'll see the clock speeds lower than max.No, I can monitor the clock while the game is running, I'm not alt-tabbing out. I know the monitors are working (GOU-Z, CCC and MSI) because I can watch everything else change (temp, fan speed, GPU usage etc). MSI also keeps a graph that shows not only what clock speed you're at now, but what the clock speed has been (x axis = time, y axis = speed).
Using AMD Overdrive you can force the card(s) to run at full or overclocked speeds all the time no matter what type of app or resolution your using.How? Please don't guess, only say if you know how to do it.

Triggaaar
04-03-2011, 09:40 AM
The main workaround for single-card users at the moment is using a third-party overclocking utility like MSI Afterburner. It has to be a utility that is capable of overriding PowerPlay with custom clock settings. I also found with Afterburner you had to set clocks with a 1Mhz difference to get it to apply.I have MSI afterburner, but I can't find any setting to override powerplay. I also don't know what you mean by "set clocks with a 1Mhz difference", could you be specific?

nagi
04-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Having exactly the same problem with a single 6850 running the newest drivers. This seems to be a major game-breaking bug, Clocks remains at 300Mhz. Does not matter if I'm playing windowed or fullscreen, thus I get dismal framerates with the game, even on lowest settings.

Quite unacceptable for a game supposedly in development for six years.

Ataros
04-03-2011, 06:03 PM
With ATI Tray Tools you can create a profile for a game with desired clocks and run it together with the game from a shortcut.

tjhowse
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Did everybody skip straight over my post in which I explain exactly how to force maximum clock speeds using CCC?

doghous3
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Some people experiencing this issue had it resolved by checking that the flash player does not have "enable hardware acceleration" checked.

This for some reason in CoD prevented your card running at 3D speeds.

That was my problem, and it runs as intended now.

ATI tools just made my system crash for some reason.

JG52Uther
04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Just did some quick testing and it would appear at least on the ATI HD4850 the GPU is indeed getting up to full 3D speed, but somehow intermittently at least as indicated by the AMD Resource Monitor. For much of the time it was running at 695 Mhz Core speed and 993 Mhz Memory speed. Intermittently, it appeared to go down to 500 Mhz/750 Mhz, but it certainly was not running at desktop speeds the entire time.

This was the same for me with my 4850.

Triggaaar
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Did everybody skip straight over my post in which I explain exactly how to force maximum clock speeds using CCC?I didn't skip straight over it, but you did put me off:
P.S. There's a chance you could fry your card, be careful what you change.

Phazon
04-07-2011, 12:03 AM
After doing some research, I think I know what the problem is. IL-2 CoD (and apparently IL-2 1946) never technically ran in a proper full-screen mode. They run in a windowed mode that just fills the screen. This can confuse the card, as almost every single 3d game today runs in a full-screen mode.

Looking on www.sukhoi.ru where Luthier posts a little more, he mentioned they are adding a proper full-screen option to the game. This could potentially fix up our issue. I'm not sure if it will be the Friday patch but lets hope so.

The clocks jumping up intermittently during the game is just from mouse activity. Watch the clocks when on the desktop while you move the mouse rapidly. They will jump up there as well.

As I said earlier overclocking in CCC will not work at all. The problem lies with the PowerPlay feature of the cards that dynamically changes the clockspeeds depending on what your PC is doing in order to save power and reduce heat. Overdrive in the CCC does not disable PowerPlay, so the clock issue will still exist.

Information for overclocking with MSI Afterburner for AMD cards can be found here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

You only need to set the clocks 1Mhz higher for GPU and Memory to override the default clock settings.

Codex
04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
You assumed that I am alt tabbing out of the game. What made you assume that?

Many people with duel GPU cards and crossfire have reported the card does not ramp up to 3D but stays at 2D clock speeds.

I have 2 monitors and keep CCC open on one to monitor while in game.

Well you didn't specify how you knew the card wasn't clocking up ;)

Prior to the beta patch CoD was not using Crossfire or SLI anyway, so the clock speeds wont go up anyway.

Codex
04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
How? Please don't guess, only say if you know how to do it.

Well I'm referring to the Overdrive tab in CCC. There is also AMD Overdrive which is a standalone app that enables overclocking of AMD Fusion set ups (AMD CPU / MB and Video Card) of which I don't have.

In CCC its simply a matter of unlocking the "Overdrive" panel and then using the sliders to set the core and memory clocks. But be careful you can over heat the card(s) so make sure you ramp up the fans as well.

gapingMAW
04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

ATi 5770 (1GB) was stuck at 400Mhz; created a profile under ATi Tray Tools (to 850/1200) and the increase in performance is considerable. Jumped from 10-15fps to ~35-45 in a free flight over Dover. Hitting ~60 over the Channel. This is at 1920x1080 with 2xAA. High models, medium other stuff, shadows on.

The stuttering is still there though; playable, but not enjoyable. Hopefully the upcoming patches will improve on this.

FWIW: i7 920 @ 3.80GHz, 6GB RAM, HD5770... and c. 1998 Sidewinder 2 stick (blush).

Cheers,

Mark

Triggaaar
04-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Well I'm referring to the Overdrive tab in CCC.
In CCC its simply a matter of unlocking the "Overdrive" panel and then using the sliders to set the core and memory clocks.The problem is that CoD ignores the max that you have set, and runs at the minimum. Sliding the max about makes no difference. The default for my card has the max set to 880, but the clock runs at 500 when the game is running, As suggested above, it could be due to the fact that the game doesn't run in true full screen.

I'm just going to leave it until after the patch, in case full screen is implemented and it fixes the problem.

Triggaaar
04-08-2011, 08:13 AM
ATi 5770 (1GB) was stuck at 400Mhz; created a profile under ATi Tray Tools (to 850/1200) and the increase in performance is considerable. Jumped from 10-15fps to ~35-45 in a free flight over Dover. Hitting ~60 over the Channel.Good job. If the patch doesn't work for me, I'll be trying ATI Tray Tools again.
This is at 1920x1080 with 2xAA. High models, medium other stuff, shadows on.

The stuttering is still there though; playable, but not enjoyable. Hopefully the upcoming patches will improve on this.To be honest, I think 1920x1080 with high models, rest medium, is too much to ask of a 5770.

Phazon
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Ilya (Luthier) has confirmed there will be a proper full-screen mode included with the patch. Its not currently working in the beta patch but it should be working when the patch is officially released. This may fix up the clock issues and provide a considerable performance increase.

Kankkis
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I overclocked my card with msi afterburner, no problems with clocks, tested it with afterburner and checked the drawings after play, clocks in my sig

doghous3
04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I turned off "enable hardware acceleration" in Flash player. My card then worked as expected for a 3D application.

Triggaaar
04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the basic question, how do we bring up flash player? I don't have it in my list of programs.

doghous3
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I just open youtube, pick a video and right-click the viewing area and select settings.

It should open on the first tab, which is where that option is.

Triggaaar
04-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I just open youtube, pick a video and right-click the viewing area and select settings.Thanks, that did the job. Started the game, clock speed went up to maximum, and stayed there while I was flying.

I decided to compare the fps so I re-enabled hardware acceloration, loaded the game, and the clock went up to maximum again. So I rebooted, and clocks were still at maximum when playing. I'm also not noticing any improvement in fps, and the load on the card seems to be from 60% up to maybe 80%, so I could be limited by the cpu. I'll try watching the cpu, and maybe adjust the settings. I've been trying to hold off much fiddling until the patch is properly released.

Devastat
04-13-2011, 09:21 AM
I have hardware acceleration enabled (in flash), and my Radeon 6970 functions with full clock speed (725mhz and 1375mhz memory). I checked it today and my CoD is very playable.

IAF_Phantom
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
is this still the case after the patch?

GothicGhost
04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Thought i would check see my card asus 5870 v2 running max core when ingame just incase and it's working 100%.

I am using 11.2 drivers.

ariyaner
09-08-2011, 12:21 AM
the problem ist the ubisoft introvideo

this link tell you how you can disable it

http://www.oceanicwing.com/Forum/Main/index.php?topic=480.0

Madfish
09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
- The clock issue has nothing to do with single / crossfire setups.
- The way described in the videos doesn't work for newer revisions of either cards or drivers.
- AMD Overdrive does not OC the card at all times. It still clocks down and just goes up higher under full load
- You can use a simple tool called "System Monitor" from AMD to check if your card is going to it's maximum clock or not. It shows everything nicely. It's most likely already installed on your machine. Just press the windows key and type: "system monitor" and wait a couple of seconds. Or you can just download it here (http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-system-monitor/pages/overview.aspx)