PDA

View Full Version : word of caution; max settings @ 1080p requires 1.5+ Gb Vram!

ARGH
04-02-2011, 06:19 PM
i have only played the game to check for it's performance and resource usage.

so far i simply chose the quick missions or whatever they are called, the ones that allow you to free flight, bomber intercepts over londed, etc.

i am not saying that the game is properly optimized (because it's not, it needs work) or trying to put a good spin on the situation. but alot of performance complaints would stem from the vram usage.

what happens when you go pass the gpu frame buffer (Vram) is that the frame rate will come crashing down. for example, you are hovering nicely at 30 fps when all of a sudden the fps goes to 1 or 2 and stays there. the only way it will go back up is when enough vram is freed up to go below the frame buffer limit.

but from what i am seeing with my GTX 580 is this;

bomber intercept over london scenario was using 1.5Gb Vram, at the absolute threshold of my gtx 580 before fps crash.

bomber intercept over water was using 1.1+ Gb vram.

free flights can also use 1Gb ore more vram depending if over water or land.

Gryphon_
04-02-2011, 09:20 PM
You can plot video ram usage using Rivatuner. If you are hitting a wall, try reducing your AA or AF settings, as that will reduce the amount of video RAM in use.