PDA

View Full Version : How To Engine Start Up

Jimbosmith
04-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey guys i made this topic with the intention of posting videos of how to start the engines of all planes using the complex engine management, it will be updated with videos as they come along, Feel free to add your own videos and comments. The main post will be updated

Spitfire I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRex60HGec

TigerMoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLAstkRn5M

Hurricane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYkaGuwVJk

Blenheim IV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noR_tw-FCM0

BF109 E3 - Video by Targ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK06c2OxWYY

JU 87 (Stuka)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozFL0BhzONU

JU88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEUCZ1-xng

G.50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfWAXo2I4g

BR.20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-U4WbDezwo

HE 111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8R5ey2nIQY

Carb Heat: Carb heat is used to prevent build up of ice on the carburetor, this can stall the engines. You will need to monitor the temps of the carbs in flight and may have to turn on carb heat when flying at high altitudes. I would recommend using carb heat where available on landings and takes off as the pressure difference may cause a build up of ice. Not all planes have the need for carb heat, the superchargers on most fighters heat the incoming air enough for no need for carb heat.

F19_Deathlok
04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Those three works but what about the Hurricane? Have anyone actually been able to ramp start that one? I've tried but no success...

Jimbosmith
04-02-2011, 05:36 PM
yep, i have i intend to make a video should be up sometime tomorrow. Im just about to go out

JG53Frankyboy
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Those three works but what about the Hurricane? Have anyone actually been able to ramp start that one? I've tried but no success...

i just can repeart myself from another topic:
"in general use LEAN mixture and IDLE throttle in all planes.
Than , in the most you have to activate the fuel first, yes. Excetions so far are :Bf110, G.50 and Br.20 IIRC.
the easiest wuld be to map a key on that function not to have to search the cockpit with your mouse....

in the Spits, Hurris, FIATs and Blenheim to wait till the engine gets some temperature before giving more throttle and mixture is very important, otherwise your engine i quits..

and now something special: the Br20 and Blenheim you have to activate carburetor preheating too , OH YES
map it too a key is my best advice

you dant have to activate the magnetos manually, the "start button" (on whatever key you have it, i strg+I ) is activating them

i have only ONE big proplem: in the Ju88, He111s and Bleheim i am only able to start the left engine !! right engine dont start. Any ideas ??"

bando
04-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks a LOT mate. Especially the moth, I just could not get it to start. I'll be able to follow your instructions and try again. Thanks again for doing this.:cool:

Bando

akodonnell
04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
can't get the blenheim to start. anyone have tips?

JG53Frankyboy
04-03-2011, 12:01 AM
can't get the blenheim to start. anyone have tips?

carburetor preheating

609_Huetz
04-03-2011, 01:41 AM

Here's my procedure and it works in 99% of my tries:

- Fuel switch on Primary
- Magneto 1 and 2 On
- Mixture Rich (= lever all the way BACK in the cockpit)
- Prop Pitch High
- Handpump 5x
- Press and Hold(!) "I" until the engine is running

Once it is started up, you want to hold -1 to +1 Boost to bring up the temperatures.

I have my rads closed until the temperature is high enough (~40 on the oil and ~60 on the water) and then open them before rolling.

Hope that helps!

Jimbosmith
04-03-2011, 03:09 PM
main post updated with the hurricane and blenheim

Kianoni
04-03-2011, 06:36 PM
well, I think it's a bummer we have to figure this out by ourselfs.. even the RAF pilots from the time had more instructions how to do things as we have now.
anyways, I might seem to be ranting a lot but I really love the sim so far
masterpiece anyway with these flaws.

F19_Deathlok
04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks both Jimbosmith and 609_Huetz! That is what I've tried as well but no success... :) Well, I'm off trying again when I'm home after work... :) (Strange)

Blackdog_kt
04-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I knew it!!!
That blasted 88 and the Blenheim with their obscured controls, i spent 10 minutes on each one trying to get them to start and i couldn't find what was missing :-P

Thanks for the tutorials. A small question about mixture too. I'm not going to comment on the Hurricane since there's obviously something funky going on with the way mixture works, possibly a bug: pressing the increase mixture key actually corresponds to moving the lever forward which leans the mixture, but on the other RAF aircraft with reversed mixture levers (eg, the Tiger Moth) it does increase the mixture correctly by moving the lever aft.

So, with that out of the way, is there a reason for pre-leaning the mixture on the Tiger Moth and Spitfire? I'm asking because starts are usually done with full rich, except when taking off from a high elevation airfield.

Osmo
04-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the tutorials. Next problem: How to get the plane off the ground?

I managed to start Blenheim IV engines using your instructions, but when I start revving the engines after they've heated up enough, the plane is just turning to the right (i have both engines selected so throttle is affecting them both). Even with maximum throttle the plane is moving forward very very slowly and turning right. I've checked wheel brakes and they are off. Has anyone managed to get the plane up in the air?

Blackdog_kt
04-05-2011, 03:51 AM
I tried the Blenheim after watching the videos, it does try to run away sideways :-P

The trick here is not to slam the throttle. I think it yaws to the right, so you can also use some differential thrust by adding more power on the starboard engine. Advance throttles to a moderately high setting, for example -2 or -1 psi boost, then press shift F2 (at least if you are using the default key commands) to select engine 2 and give it maybe an inch of extra boost. This way your no.1 engine reads -2 to -1 and your no.2 reads -1 to 0 psi boost.

Just to clarify, these are measured relative to ambient pressure on a standard day, so zero boost is equal to the ambient pressure, or 1 Ata for the German aircraft or approximately 30 inches HG for US aircraft, or 760mm HG for the Italian ones. So, zero boost is by no means low power, it's actually full power minus the supercharger (that one can go above ambient pressure).

Anyway, once you do the above little trick with the differential thrust, kick the rudders in or add rudder trim and let it start rolling and pick up some speed. If you slam the throttles to the stops you'll get a whole lot of torque and no means to counter it.

However, if you let it accelerate to 20-40 mph before going flat out, there will be some airflow over the rudder to make it effective and you can also use differential wheel brakes if you really need some last moment corrections. The differential engine thrust is just meant to keep you pointing straight until you get to that speed.

After that, select both engines (default keys are shift ~) and gently push the throttles the remainder of the way. I usually don't trim the nose up until i've lifted the tail off the ground but your mileage may vary. Make sure you've warmed up to at least 40-50 degrees oil temperature so that the engines run smooth and the propeller governors work well, otherwise your RPM will be jumping all over the place and causing asymmetric thrust (radials are harder to start in cold conditions and take longer to warm-up due to being air-cooled).

Important: Turn OFF your carb heat before the take-off run. It's one thing to pre-heat them to help those air-cooled radials start, but leaving it on robs you of power: hot air is less dense-->you get less air density for the same amount of fuel-->it's like running on super-extra-lean mixture.

I tried starting up the Blenheim after watching the videos, did it fine and naturally i tried to take-off. I botched it because i didn't expect it to yaw that much but i was able to control it, even when improvising the above method on the spot. I didn't make it because i didn't want to restart the mission so i ended up clipping a wing on a hangar, but i did manage to keep it going straight and reach take-off speed despite the initial surprise.

I think that with prior knowledge of my failure and the conclusions from it you'll do fine :grin:

BernieBrown
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
well, I think it's a bummer we have to figure this out by ourselfs.. even the RAF pilots from the time had more instructions how to do things as we have now.
anyways, I might seem to be ranting a lot but I really love the sim so far
masterpiece anyway with these flaws.

i agree. im waiting till i can get hands on easy to follow checklists for each plane.

but the videos are a great help as well! cheers

klem
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Hurricane Mixture is reversed and is an acknowledged bug. Use Lean position for Rich and vice versa until it is fixed. If you open an ifno windopw and select Engine you'll see what I mean.

bando
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I tried the Blenheim after watching the videos, it does try to run away sideways :-P

The trick here is not to slam the throttle. I think it yaws to the right, so you can also use some differential thrust by adding more power on the starboard engine. Advance throttles to a moderately high setting, for example -2 or -1 psi boost, then press shift F2 (at least if you are using the default key commands) to select engine 2 and give it maybe an inch of extra boost. This way your no.1 engine reads -2 to -1 and your no.2 reads -1 to 0 psi boost.

Just to clarify, these are measured relative to ambient pressure on a standard day, so zero boost is equal to the ambient pressure, or 1 Ata for the German aircraft or approximately 30 inches HG for US aircraft, or 760mm HG for the Italian ones. So, zero boost is by no means low power, it's actually full power minus the supercharger (that one can go above ambient pressure).

Anyway, once you do the above little trick with the differential thrust, kick the rudders in or add rudder trim and let it start rolling and pick up some speed. If you slam the throttles to the stops you'll get a whole lot of torque and no means to counter it.

However, if you let it accelerate to 20-40 mph before going flat out, there will be some airflow over the rudder to make it effective and you can also use differential wheel brakes if you really need some last moment corrections. The differential engine thrust is just meant to keep you pointing straight until you get to that speed.

After that, select both engines (default keys are shift ~) and gently push the throttles the remainder of the way. I usually don't trim the nose up until i've lifted the tail off the ground but your mileage may vary. Make sure you've warmed up to at least 40-50 degrees oil temperature so that the engines run smooth and the propeller governors work well, otherwise your RPM will be jumping all over the place and causing asymmetric thrust (radials are harder to start in cold conditions and take longer to warm-up due to being air-cooled).

Important: Turn OFF your carb heat before the take-off run. It's one thing to pre-heat them to help those air-cooled radials start, but leaving it on robs you of power: hot air is less dense-->you get less air density for the same amount of fuel-->it's like running on super-extra-lean mixture.

Well, I did everything you said, warmed up the engines, got it rolling pretty straight and spooled up for take off. Halfway the take off run engine 2 died on me, shortle after that eng 1 followed to spool down.
I just cannot fly the thing.
Is there enyone that can enlighten me?

Osmo
04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks Blackdog_kt!

I managed to do a successful take-off on a first try using your instructions.

Groundhog
04-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Is there a guide to the Bf110?

thanks

GH

Bakelit
04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Thank you for these helpful videos.

I am however still upset for the developers not including illustrated start or cockpit guides in either the printed handbook of the collectors edition or else.

If I had been working on these advanced features I would have been proud to teach them to the gamers and show other game developers how my product is set apart!

I know, time, small team, etc pp. Still, complex engine management is a core function and the documentation as it comes is poor and leads to unneccessary frustration.

addman
04-09-2011, 09:54 AM
How about the G.50? Could we get some detailed instructions on how to start it? Seems like the fuel cock is stuck in it.

cre8tive Delay
04-09-2011, 02:21 PM
did anyone manage to start 110s engines yet?
edit: got it. I forgot to choose each engine seperately before the start.
Is there a way to bind keys for a direct start for engine one and engine two so that I don't have to select them seperately?

Groundhog
04-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I can start engines on 110.

same as 109 except 2 engines.

Can't take off as plane seems to be over takeoff weight and can't figure out how to remove fuel.

GH

realhammer
04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
I can't startup the 109e3

I followed the instructions,but when I press "I" to start the engine,it shows"engine stopping".

I enabled the AI control,it still can't start the engine either,"engine stopping" again and again....

Jimbosmith
04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
i am just uploading a video of the g50 and the br20 so they should be up tonight

I would like to do some more detailed videos with the correct temps and all, but im still trying to figure all that stuff out lol, il try to include my temps and such in future videos

Also yes i think the fuel cock is broke in the g50 i couldnt get it to move but was able to start without using it

bando
04-10-2011, 07:47 AM
I see on the last 2 vids you're taking the plane up. Good deal.
Would love to see you do that with the Blennheim though.

Thanks for making these vids.

Tymi
04-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I can't startup the 109e3

I followed the instructions,but when I press "I" to start the engine,it shows"engine stopping".

I enabled the AI control,it still can't start the engine either,"engine stopping" again and again....

Dunno if this helps but i had that problem when i made a mission in the FMB and tried to take off from a field. When i moved the plane to an airfield the engine started normally.

Blackdog_kt
04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Dunno if this helps but i had that problem when i made a mission in the FMB and tried to take off from a field. When i moved the plane to an airfield the engine started normally.

This might actually be a feature and not a bug. I'm very surprised they went to the trouble of modeling this if it's done on purpose.

To clarify, our start-up procedures are a bit simplified even though the rest of the engine model seems very accurate and true to life. The biggest difference between CoD and a real aircraft is the starter.

While we seem to have a universal starter, the "I" key (and i say we seem to have because maybe it goes a bit deeper), these planes had different types. Some aircraft required power from the on-board battery to turn the engine for starting. Some used an inertia starter that spins up a flywheel to high RPM (as an example, about 20.000 RPM for the P-47 if i'm not mistaken), which is then linked to the engine via a clutch and transfers all that rotational energy to start the engine.
Others like the B-17 used a combination that had both an inertial flywheel and if that didn't do the trick, it kept turning the engine via a battery powered direct-drive system.
It gets even crazier, the Spitfire used pressurized air in the early models but later switched to blank shotgun cartridges to provide the energy for starting.

The principle is simple, you need something with enough energy that is either able to transfer a big "jolt" to the engine in a small time frame or provide a smaller rotational force over a longer amount of time.

The thing to remember here is that this power source wasn't always found on the aircraft. For example, in WWI and even in some general aviation aircraft up until the early 50s (like the original Piper Cub) it was possible to start the engine by turning the propeller by hand.

The 109 is one of those aircraft that relied on manual labor. I bet you've all seen wartime videos in black and white, where the mechanics insert a hand-crank into the side of the cowling and start turning it furiously. This is usually accompanied by a sound that intensifies in pitch, like something is spinning up inside the cowling. My guess is that the mechanics manually spin up a flywheel for an inertial starter and when it reaches full RPM, the pilot engages the starter to turn the engine. Long story short, you can't start it if you don't have a ground crewman nearby and they are hard to come by in the countryside :grin:

I think something to this effect is also stated in the PDF manual, namely that certain aircraft rely on external equipment to start their engines and mid-air or field restarts are not possible because the sim takes that into account.

MadTommy
04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Jimbosmith thank you very much!

DoolittleRaider
04-13-2011, 06:13 AM
This all makes me think of the Hollywood movies where an escaped Allied pilot sneaks onto a German airfield, climbs in a fighter, and takes off on his escape flight to the West. He only has seconds to look at and immediately understand the controls, switches, gauges, Start-Up procedure, etc...and he doesn't know how to read any German....and a dozen German guards are racing towards the aircraft.... No Sweat! He flys off into the setting sun to the West! Free at last!

One true story of such an escape was that of Bob Hoover who escaped after 18months or so as a POW in Stalag I, went over to an airfield from which he'd seen for many many months from the Stalag FW-190's conducting operations. Relatively late in the war, he "only" had to fly a short distance to the Netherlands to reach Allied lines.

I think his story is well detailed in various articles and books. I met him several years back and discussed this FW-190 escape. He told me that a fellow USAAF pilot prisoner had flown a captured FW-190 in England (or US??) before he was shot down on a combat mission over Germany. [Hoover was also a test pilot in US (and UK??) before he went into combat]. That other pilot taught Hoover all he could about the FW-190, including specifically the cockpit layout. As I recall, the pilot drew the cockpit for Hoover, in the sand (?) I think?... Thus, Hoover was familiar with the FW190 cockpit, instruments, controls, and start-up procedures, etc, etc...

Therefore, it was somewhat of a Piece of Cake for him. I doubt that any others could have pulled off such a Hollywood escape. Though, probably there were some...

Imagine this, yourself, the very first time you sit in a COD aircraft cockpit with Full CEM...whichever aircraft, LW or RAF...with NO manual of Instruction...and try to start-up in just 2-3 minutes or less, and then takeoff successfully. That would be a challenge for the best of Flight Simmers!

Groundhog
04-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Many thanks for the excellent videos.

I Have worked my way through the 109 & 110 and have reached the Stuka.

Is there a water radiator on the Stuka?
Yes found it.Controls top left .Position gauge top right .works after engine start.

Also is there a working supercharger?
Found it. Mouse pull in and out.

GH

Jimbosmith
04-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey guys little update, i plan on getting some more videos up at the weekend been pretty busy during the week for any gaming:)

Jimbosmith
04-17-2011, 09:48 AM
thread updated with the he111

meplay
04-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi m8 good work...The he111 you can open rads after engines start! i was using prop pitch to keep it cool, then i thought there gotta be another way and tried after starting engine, i just open them fully.

EDIT: just got to the bit where you open them ;)

Blackdog_kt
04-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Just a minor correction. The radiators stay open just fine. It's just that in the He111 (and in the 109) the bars in the engine info window don't show you how open the rads are, they only show you if you are applying changes to the rad controls.

That's why they move fully up/down when you press the open/close keys but "jump" back to the middle when you release it. You can verify this if you go to external view and look at the radiators. The 109 has "pole-flag indicators rising out of the wings that signify the rad position, i'm not sure about the 111 thought.

Other than that, great job for helping people get to grips with CEM ;)

Jarsalla
04-18-2011, 06:05 AM
For some reason after the beta patch I can't start the engine on any of the planes anymore. I do everything according to those instructions, but as soon as I hit "I" button I got a message engine: stopping :confused:, before the beta I was able to start the engine without a problem.

I then tried to turn engine off in air. The engine turns off, but the message I got is engine: starting instead of engine: stopping :confused:

Any ideas? I Haven't changed any buttons.

I can't continue my campaign with CEM enabled anymore :evil:

meplay
04-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Just a minor correction. The radiators stay open just fine. It's just that in the He111 (and in the 109) the bars in the engine info window don't show you how open the rads are, they only show you if you are applying changes to the rad controls.

That's why they move fully up/down when you press the open/close keys but "jump" back to the middle when you release it. You can verify this if you go to external view and look at the radiators. The 109 has "pole-flag indicators rising out of the wings that signify the rad position, i'm not sure about the 111 thought.

I donno if its a bug or a feature...maybe like the Blenheim flaps, but from external view on the 111 if you try and open the rads before engine start they dont seem to open, but then you can fully open them after engine start. This was before patch, and ive not tried it since then, but you could really do with some sort of indicator couldnt you.

Jimbosmith
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Ahh ok cool, i spent ages trying to work out why it kept going to the middle, even bringing the engine controls up, didnt cross my mind to look at the actual radiators lol:grin:

Blackdog_kt
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Yup, it seems to be this way. I don't know if it's a bug but with the latest beta patch (i didn't check if the final patch is out yet) it's true that radiators don't work until you start the engines.

Maybe it's a bug, or maybe the rads are hydraulically operated and they need one or both engines to be running to supply hydraulic pressure (usually in twin engined aircraft one of the engines drives the hydraulic pump, i guess this would be the engine to start first if you need hydraulics to operate the rads)

In any case, there's a lot of stuff that seems like bugs but could be legitimate and accurate features, so until we get improved documentation or manage to work it out by ourselves i'm not drawing any final conclusions.

BigPickle
04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
do we have a written start up list at all?

SEE
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Now that we interactive cockpits someone should do these as downloadable track files.

klem
04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
do we have a written start up list at all?

The 109 startup is in the manual.

For Hurricanes:
Fuel cock to ON.
Fully open the Radiator
....there is a small indicator on the low left side of the cockpit
....the Radiator hand lever should be DOWN.
Check both Magneto's are ON.
Prop' Pitch fully forward = 100%.
Push Throttle forward 1/2" to 20%.
>>DH 5-20 Prop model: Set mixture Lever to RICH (fully back)
......NOTE! Put it fully forward to WEAK in cockpit as that is actually RICH (its a bug that will be fixed in time). The Throttle is also bugged and should not let you do that but it is a useful double-bug that it does.
>>ROTOL prop model: Set mixture Lever RICH (fully back)
.....NOTE! Currently, fully back is LEAN although it should be RICH. Fully back or or just a little forward when the Throttle is opened 1/2" is all you can get atm. This Throttle is NOT bugged and will not let you move the mixture lever forward of the Throttle position.
Start engine, "Toggle selected engine" (whichever key you have mapped, usually 'I')
....NOTE: If the engine doesn't catch adjust the throttle position slightly and try again.
Input full Right Rudder Trim, this is accurately modelled so the Rudder doesn't move until the plane does.
Centre the Elevator Trim.
Before taxying, Warm engine to:
....Oil temp: min 15'C
....Coolant temp: min 70'C
....Actually the RL Pilots notes say 60'C and that seems to be ok

If you don't warm the engine it may peter out when you advance the Throttle.

Spits are pretty much the same as the Hurricane but you trim the elevator 1 graduation down.

tf_neuro
04-19-2011, 07:27 PM
i have only ONE big proplem: in the Ju88, He111s and Bleheim i am only able to start the left engine !! right engine dont start. Any ideas ??"

I can start both, no problem.
Only problem I can think about is not doing the selection thing right.

Personally, I do it like this (and it works on all planes)
- Select both engines and set everything as it should except for mixture and throttle, both to idle.
- unselect all engines
- select one engine, set mix and throttle on that one engine, start.
- unselect all engines
- select the other engine, repeat procedure as before
- unselect all engines
- select all engines

This procedure has worked on all planes so far. Settings may change between different models but the select/unselect procedure is the same.

JG53Frankyboy
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Thx, the proplem was solved already ;)
I forgott to map the fuel "opening" for the right engine....
I was lost in the german translation of the keycommands, it is horrible!
And i try to avoid this mouseklicking in the cockpits.

2GFlea
04-21-2011, 01:59 AM
I have some checklists derived from the actual Pilot's Notes and Handbuchs posted in this thread. Take a look and let me know what you think. They are in MS Excel format. Since I don't have the game yet (dang US release) I don't know if the start procedures carry over from real life to the sim. If someone could try them out, I would be most appreciative.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3269457/1/2GvSAP_Flea_s_Data_Sheets_for_.html

spp
05-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I can start the Spitfire and take off, but having real trouble with the BF 109. Following the video posted in the original post, the engine starts, but when I open the throttle fully, the aircraft just moves at taxi speed. The engine revs never really build up, as if the extra fuel going in the engine isn't being burnt?

EDIT: Sorted, wasn't changing the prop pitch enough.

Orpheus
07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
As we still see a lot of CEM engine startup questions, and with the US release just around the corner which will only lead to more - may I suggest a sticky for these excellent videos?

Would probably save a lot of time & typing! :grin:

White Owl
07-14-2011, 06:06 AM
I was just attempting to record a video of flying around in a Tiger Moth. I couldn't even come close to starting the engine. These videos saved me. :cool:

Orpheus
07-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Still needs a sticky!

BigPickle
07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
+1 needs a sticky

funkify
07-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks a ton for these videos! I got the game yesterday off Steam and was trying to follow along with the Blenheim IV video, but I'm having some problems.

When I try to toggle the fuel cock or the radiator by clicking on them with my mouse, they don't do anything. Other switches, like the magnetos, work, but for some reason those don't. Also, it appears that my radiators are already open. Could this be because I'm loading a Quick Mission (specifically, the "Cross Country" one)? I have "Complex Engine Management" checked in the Realism options.

Sorry if this is a super noob question. I feel like I'm missing something!

White Owl
07-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks a ton for these videos! I got the game yesterday off Steam and was trying to follow along with the Blenheim IV video, but I'm having some problems.

When I try to toggle the fuel cock or the radiator by clicking on them with my mouse, they don't do anything. Other switches, like the magnetos, work, but for some reason those don't. Also, it appears that my radiators are already open. Could this be because I'm loading a Quick Mission (specifically, the "Cross Country" one)? I have "Complex Engine Management" checked in the Realism options.

Sorry if this is a super noob question. I feel like I'm missing something!

Do you also have engine temperature effects selected in the realism settings? That would affect the radiators... Sorry, no idea about the fuel cock.

funkify
07-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Do you also have engine temperature effects selected in the realism settings? That would affect the radiators... Sorry, no idea about the fuel cock.

Aha! That was it! And to enable the fuel cock, I had to check "Limited Fuel." Thanks!

mini4m3
07-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi guys,

I've been having an issue after take off with some of the German planes, specifically the Stuka and BF-110 with CEM.

Once I'm up in the air no matter what I seem to do, my plane starts to shake violently after about a half minute after the wheels are off the deck. After shaking violently my engine(s) have critical failures such as exhaust head failure or oil gasket failure and my plane is rendered worthless.

I'm not sure if I'm missing a control or not watching something carefully but my takeoff and prep for takeoff works and is the same thing I see in the videos earlier in this thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!