PDA

View Full Version : Input lag

Therion_Prime
04-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Over water I have pretty good fps, yet all inputs I make (joystick or mouse) are delayed approx. half a second. I'm constantly oversteering because of this.

Does anyone else have this problem?

SEE
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Yes, maybe not half a second but definitely a lag on all joystick inputs. I thought it was due to my PC struggling to cope as no one else seems to have mentioned it. Particularly noticeable when I fire the guns compared to Il1946.

tjhowse
04-02-2011, 01:43 AM
At least two other people are experiencing this:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=247028&postcount=3

"I have Psycho_Ch!cken's problem. There is about 700ms of lag between any input and the result taking effect ingame. This includes the mouse, stick, throttle, joystick buttons and head tracking movement. It's mighty infuriating."

Wolf_Rider
04-02-2011, 03:32 AM
fwiw, try disabling the clickable cockpit (F10 key)

tjhowse
04-02-2011, 03:55 AM
fwiw, try disabling the clickable cockpit (F10 key)

Tried this on a lark, didn't help.

chappy
04-02-2011, 04:03 AM
what are your computer specs?

the fact it happens when u start shooting could indicate cpu struggling with the sim as the guns fire and create thousands of objects needing ballistic calcs.

control input wise, make sure your sensitivity is on 0, so that there's a 1 to 1 ratio of input versus output

tjhowse
04-02-2011, 04:35 AM
It happens all the time, not just when shooting.

I already have 1:1 mapping.

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-02-2011, 07:08 AM
It happens for everything. Even pressing keys to change the field of view has the same delay. It appears that inputs are not getting appropriate priority in the engine - there should never be lag like this, even when the game is running poorly, some things should always have priority.

TheGrunch
04-02-2011, 07:25 AM
4. FM and ballistics. We have already addressed the issue where rounds appeared to leave aircraft sideways. This was caused by the difference between physical and rendered position of the aircraft, i.e. the rendered position lagged behind the actual aircraft position.
Our aircraft programmer has a huge bucket list of things to check, which he’s going over at a rather brisk pace.

Maybe at least in part due to the same bug as this?

jimbop
04-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Add it to the bug thread. Nobody has posted their system specs?

Therion_Prime
04-02-2011, 01:03 PM
i7 950
6GB Corsair RAM
ATI 4870
Intal SSD
Win7 64

Thrustmaster Warthog
X52Pro
X52
G940 Pedals

tjhowse
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM
E8600 3.33GHz dual core,
4 GB DDR3,
HD4870X2 (single card, two GPUs),
Win7,
X52,
Freetrack.

Jeageri
04-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Unplayable due to input lag...

E8400 dualcore @ 3,4ghz
4gigs of ram ddr2
AMD 6950 unlocked to 6970
Asus P5kpl-am mobo
24" screen with 1920x1080pixels
Win 7 64bit
none wireless peripherals

rubbish
04-02-2011, 03:38 PM
also unplayable for me because of this.

i7 920
6gigs ddr3
gtx285

x52 pro

Targ
04-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Try disabling the Anthropomorphic Control in the realism settings and see if that helps.

Therion_Prime
04-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Try disabling the Anthropomorphic Control in the realism settings and see if that helps.

It's off

carlmagnuso
04-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I get much input lag in the game. When i shut down the game, turn my computer off and then turn it on again the input lag remains, both from keyboard and from mouse. And thats not even in the game, thats in Windows. I try to run a movie from my computer, it lags horrendously. All input from my keyboard when i write this lags almost a second. My whole system is screwed up. This has not happened before, I have had this system almost a year now, but now I am almost unable to do anything because of input lag.

I run Windows 7 64 bit, Core i5 750 @ 4 GGz, 8 Gb RAM, Gigabyte mainboard.

AndyHill
04-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes I can confirm the issue! I thought there was something very wrong with the sim when I got my hands on it, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. The framerates aren't too good and I suffer from stuttering, but I thought I was going mad until I realized that everything I did had a pretty bad delay, causing horrible PIO and other problems. And now that you guys confirmed it I know I'm not going crazy.

To me this is the number one issue in the sim right now, it just doesn't give me any kind of sensation of flight when I feel I'm trying to steer the plane with a rubber dildo. The good thing is that I now know what's causing the lousy feeling I get from flying the planes and it should be fixable. I wonder if everyone's getting this or if it's system specific?

intel Sandy Bridge 2600K
nVidia 580GTX
ASUS p8p67 Deluxe
8GB RAM

kmanmx
04-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I have this issue too.

Intel Core i7 2600
nVidia GTX470
8GB DDR3
Asus P8P67
Windows 7 64Bit

Running latest 270 nvidia beta drivers.

SEE
04-03-2011, 12:50 AM
XP SP3 - 4Gb - E5400 Dual Core

X52 / Freetrack

Wolf_Rider
04-03-2011, 05:25 AM
I get much input lag in the game. When i shut down the game, turn my computer off and then turn it on again the input lag remains, both from keyboard and from mouse. And thats not even in the game, thats in Windows. I try to run a movie from my computer, it lags horrendously. All input from my keyboard when i write this lags almost a second. My whole system is screwed up. This has not happened before, I have had this system almost a year now, but now I am almost unable to do anything because of input lag.

yeah, curious... my system exhibits those symptoms too, the mouse especially though not as severe as your post suggests

carlmagnuso
04-03-2011, 06:35 AM
When i turned my computer on this morning it seems like most of the input lag in Windows is gone. My videos still lag, irrespective of size and file format, when i play them in VLC. If I use Windows Media player they work fine. I have reinstalled VLC, but the problem remains. Anyoine have a clue what might be wrong?

Edit: Other mediaplayers seem to be working fine, but when I start VLC the video stutter and I get much input lag with everything i try to do (inputs from mouse, keyboard and so on)

Ataros
04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Try disabling vsynk in drivers and turn off Win7 Aero themes.

Does it help?

Space Communist
04-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Ummm, well since it's persisting in windows the problem is almost certainly with your system itself and not the game. Particularly if it persists at all after reboot.

bigchump
04-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I've got 1.7gigs of video ram and I don't get lag until after an hour or two of flying. Then some keys stop working entirely, the mouse cursor disappears and I lose joystick functions, and even after quitting win7/64 behaves strangely. A warm reboot doesn't help but shutting off the power and restarting does. This ain't a windows problem. Using .NET for anything other than splash screens and menus is crazy IMHO.

jimbop
04-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Try disabling vsynk in drivers and turn off Win7 Aero themes.

Does it help?

Disabling vsync? Do you mean you can get it *enabled*? The nvidia control panel override fails, as does Rivatuner's D3DOverrider, and there is no in-game setting. As you can probably guess I am getting bad screen tearing!

jimbop
04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I just experienced input lag for the first time - very distinct drop in response to freetrack and controller input. There didn't seem to be any particular reason (that I could discern) as FPS was still 60+ and no stuttering. A restart fixed it.

[RS]Boomer
04-03-2011, 09:20 PM
This is my two cents on the lag input:

1C has modeled FM's perfectly, in real life when you move the stick the plane doesn't respond immediately, it has about 1/4 second delay. This was the hardest thing for me to get used to while getting my PPL. I would imagine this delay would be in ww2 aircraft as well. I have never flown a ww2 bird but I think the delay is suppose to be there. It is just something you have to get used to, just like in real life flying.

Therion_Prime
04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Boomer;251171']This is my two cents on the lag input:

1C has modeled FM's perfectly, in real life when you move the stick the plane doesn't respond immediately, it has about 1/4 second delay. This was the hardest thing for me to get used to while getting my PPL. I would imagine this delay would be in ww2 aircraft as well. I have never flown a ww2 bird but I think the delay is suppose to be there. It is just something you have to get used to, just like in real life flying.

If I press the trigger, the guns shoot delayed, too.
This behaviour cannot be intentional.

carlmagnuso
04-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Since I have problems with VLC as well I have a sneaking suspicion that it is TAGES thats messing things up, but I am not sure. I will try to disable Vsync and Aero in Win 7 and get back to you after that.

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Boomer;251171']This is my two cents on the lag input:

I disagree. I find that light aircraft do respond immediately, you can feel it start to move as soon as you put pressure on the yoke or the pedals. When I first started I was very surprised at just how responsive they were. In game right now though, the delay is insane, nothing at all like reality.

But I digress, as it's irrelevant in this case. It's not just the aircraft controls that lag, it's everything. The mouse cursor, changing the fov, radio commands, flicking the gunsight on/off - the whole kit and caboodle.

For reference, my specs:

i7 930 @ 4.8GHz
6GB Kingston DDR3 1600
30GB Agility SSD + 120GB Falcon II SSD
2GB Radeon 6950 (x2 actually, in Crossfire, but that's broken too atm)

I'm running the game at very low settings for the moment and even over water, the input lag is still severe.

Wolf_Rider
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
When i turned my computer on this morning it seems like most of the input lag in Windows is gone. My videos still lag, irrespective of size and file format, when i play them in VLC. If I use Windows Media player they work fine. I have reinstalled VLC, but the problem remains. Anyoine have a clue what might be wrong?

Edit: Other mediaplayers seem to be working fine, but when I start VLC the video stutter and I get much input lag with everything i try to do (inputs from mouse, keyboard and so on)

try unistalling T.A.R.G.E.T. - this brought my mouse back its usual undalay arriba self

carlmagnuso
04-04-2011, 10:38 AM
What is T.A.R.G.E.T. and how do I uninstall it? If it helps remove my mouse and other input lag that would be great :)

Buckie
04-04-2011, 11:12 AM
i also have input lag, very annoying.

carlmagnuso
04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Wohoo, I found the problem!
In Catalyst, under Gaming->3D Application Setting, there is something called SMOOTHVISION HD:Anti-Aliasing. I had turned this on when I installed CloD. I changed to Use application settings and turned off Morphological filtering and now my input lag is gone. And my VLC works as normal again!
The game is completely different now that its almost working as its supposed to. There is still a lot of stuttering when flying over cities, but when flying over water there is only occasional stuttering. But no input lag! So far I´m now a happy camper, now I´m only waiting for a patch to deal with the stuttering! :)

Coltti
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Turning smoothvision to application setting semms to have fixed the problem for me too. However the mouse still feels overfiltered like in operation flashpoint. Is is possible to disable the filtering or smoothing?

tjhowse
04-04-2011, 08:28 PM
My "SMOOTHVISION HD:Anti-Aliasing" was always on "Use Application Settings". You said you disabled "Morphological filtering", where is this setting?

JG5_Thijs
04-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I also have this issue.

my specs:

I3 540
4mb Ram
Nvidia GTS 250

Since I don't have an ATI card i can't fiddle with the cathalyst software. Does anyone know wether there is a similar feature in the nvidia software that can be tuned off so the delayed input also ends on computers with an Nvidia graphics card?

Otherwise we have to wait for the upcomming patch! I do hope it is fixed then.

carlmagnuso
04-05-2011, 05:16 AM
My "SMOOTHVISION HD:Anti-Aliasing" was always on "Use Application Settings". You said you disabled "Morphological filtering", where is this setting?

Morphological filtering is next to SMOOTHVISION. I think Morphological filtering was added in the latest Catalyst, if you havde an older version you might not have it at all. I switched all options in my Catalyst to Use application setting, but it seems like SMOOTHVISION and Morphological filtering was the main problem.

K_Freddie
04-05-2011, 05:39 AM
AFAIK the input lag is DirectX not allowing input (DirectInput) devices timeous access to the application, or maybe input devices do being assigned high enough priority.
Maybe Luthier can bypass DirectInput and 'go straight' to the input device ;)

tjhowse
04-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Has anyone found a cause of, or solution to, this problem? My FPS is playable, but this input lag is insufferable.

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
After the yesterday patch, my joystick lag has gone, i cant remeber if mouse too, beacusse i only could play a few minutes, (girlfriend request), but i was very happy to see that the flying model its a completely enjoy with no joy lag.
In the first stage of the game, boxed version, there are a delay in the flygdinamics vs rendered position of the plane, you can notice this because you guns are aiming before the plane turns.Not has gone.My stick ingame and ailerons stars to move when i move my stick, and the plane start to turn too.
Of course it need a little aceleration, this is not freespace, but in a natural way.You can feel the plene now.
By other side, when i firing my guns there are still delay, and it is very frustrating, because you have to shoot much before you ar going to aim your target.
I had this in il2 too.But less noticeable.

JG5_Thijs
04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
The patched also helped me a little, the delay was smaller than before the patch but it is still there a little bit.

I also changed the axes settings in the options in the game itself: I put sensitivity, and both deadzone sliders to 0.00 which seem to have helped a little too with the axes. Although the shooting isn't completly fixed for me it is playable.

I use a Hotas Warthog joystick.

FZG_Immel
04-08-2011, 01:36 PM
this need to be fixed. Imput lag is a plague right now,

Therion_Prime
04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Input lag is the same for me after the new patch :-(

tjhowse
04-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Input lag is the same for me after the new patch :-(

Likewise.

pandaa109
04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Game is unplayable for me with this (even if i can bare the poor performance).

Lowering the resolution seemed to reduce the latency bit by bit. I had a similiar feeling as an earlier poster, something just felt wrong with flying until i started noticing delay in mouse, firing etc and I could put my finger on the delay.

Dr_Watson
04-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Same prob here, around 0.5 sec delay. Firing guns also, press the button, wait for them to fire, I have around 10 fps on the ground 20 in the air but its unplayable due to stutters and complete lack of optimization ie. shimmering planes, water, land, lack of any good AA or AF. Settings on Low or Very high do NOT change the FPS or stutters. Resolution makes no difference. I can make the sim look like FS5.1 but it still plays terrible. My FSX is really sweet on this system.

Specs

2600k at 4.6Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 470
Win7 64 bit.

....I really give up with this game.

jimbop
04-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Same prob here, around 0.5 sec delay. Firing guns also, press the button, wait for them to fire, I have around 10 fps on the ground 20 in the air but its unplayable due to stutters and complete lack of optimization ie. shimmering planes, water, land, lack of any good AA or AF. Settings on Low or Very high do NOT change the FPS or stutters. I can make the sim look like FS5.1 but it still plays terrible.

Specs

2600k at 4.6Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 470
Win7 64 bit.

....I really give up with this game.

Next beta patch due 15/04 (today/tomorrow) with public release on Monday. Try again after that?

FZG_Immel
04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
anyone found a solution yet `?

CharveL
04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Try reducing pre-render frames in video drivers to 0. It's usually defaulted at 3.

FZG_Immel
04-15-2011, 11:39 PM
the beta patch 2 helped a bit offline, where I have "nearly" not input delay anymore, but I just made it to an online server, and even though I managed 3 kills (noob server) the delay was awful, making it impossible to fly competively.. I had something like 1/2 delay on guns, and the plane seemed to be flying like a truck...

Luthier, you really need to find what is happening here, it's making the game unplayable.

As a side note, the game is perfectly usable now in terms of FPS and no more stutters. Good job !!!!

ps: pre render at 0

Vlerkies
04-16-2011, 07:19 AM
I have same problem with input lag, most noticeable on the guns/cannon triggers.

Its a few milliseconds off, but enough to be 'uncool'.

I have Warthog and Cougar, both the same, running them without software at the moment (not target or CCP)

System
Win7 64bit
i7-2600
8gb ram
HD6990 .

:(

322Sqn_Dusty
04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
The lag doesn't hold on the stick. It also affects the clickable pit. I couldn't manipulate levers today and it also stopped with the keyboard commands. I ended up after much trouble starting etc. flying in dirty plane configuration. Throttle isn't always copied or only picks up after 0-100% movements.

Q9550 @ 3,4
4GB ram
2x HD 4890OC xfire
Saitek x52 pro
Saitek lever quadrant
Saitek rudders
Win7 ultimate 64

FZG_Immel
04-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Up because this NEEDS to be fixed. Not playable as it is now.

FZG_Immel
04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
I just noticed one thing..

If I reduce my resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, I have no input lag/delay anymore...

I dont get why this could be graphically related, but it is...

JG5_Thijs
04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
With this new beta patch the input lag in COD on my computer seems to be gone completly. I run a 1680 x 1050 resolution and even switched some settings from low to medium now in the graphic settings and with this new patch the input lag has gone completly.
I think the input is performance related, switching to lower frameresolution and lowering graphic settings might reduce the input lag... With the upcomming new patch I hope the input lag will disappear for others too.

Jotaele
04-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Also,mouse lag made unconfortable to use clickable cockpits.

rubbish
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Still a problem for me, and just as bad as it ever was. Nothing previously suggested makes the slightest bit of difference. I wish idiots would stop with the but, but, anthropomorphic control!!! take two seconds to think about what that option actually is, and then why it should make absolutely no difference to firing, even if it was on (it isn't)

Unplayable.

Therion_Prime
04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
.... still the same lag after patch 2 ..... :-(

pandaa109
04-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Just tried after this latest patch and still the same. Really this is the only thing thats stopping me from playing at the moment.

Every other bug and performance issue takes a back seat for me until this is fixed because no matter how its running its pointless with this delay, completely ruins the feel of flying

SEE
04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
This issue is really perplexing - I have a low end system. On first install I noticed input lag but with each patch the situation improved. The recent Beta has virtually eliminated lag and the fighters feel light and responsive, before it was like flying heavyweight bricks.

There is obviously an issue but not every one suffers this problem which makes me think it's caused by something external to the game itself or a glitch with the added software environment (Net 4, MS C++, etc?) that works with it.

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Honestly? Some people are already used to it. Those who use monitors with VA based panels get input lag as a matter of course, so they probably wouldn't notice anything different here. Similarly for people who like to use v-sync, that introduces input lag as an immediate side effect and if you use it for long enough I'm sure it becomes normal. For the rest of us though, it's just not acceptable.

The other reason people might not notice it is that it's related to framerate. The lower your fps, the worse the lag. It doesn't go away with a high framerate, but it does get reduced. That suggests that the input processing is lower priority in the engine than frame rendering and imo, that's a big no-no. If you did that in a first person shooter, you'd be crucified by the community. That said, even at 70fps there is still a noticeable delay, albeit reduced, and that's a concern. It means that maybe there is something else going on as well.

Buzpilot
04-25-2011, 09:31 AM
There is obviously an issue but not every one suffers this problem which makes me think it's caused by something external to the game itself or a glitch with the added software environment (Net 4, MS C++, etc?) that works with it.

I hope it's not some stupid console code, similar to whats used in Wings of Prey.
In WoP it look like all axis exept x,y are emulated keyinputs, hopless to even use a axis there to control Radiator or toebrakes..

hockeywarrior
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Ugh yes I have noticed this big time, especially now that my FPS is getting to a playable state.

It not only affects joystick movements but looking around (with the hat), using the mouse, and even the keyboard. For instance, when I bring up the Steam overlay and chat while in-game to someone I notice that there is big time input lag.

I'm not sure what's causing this but it's a big game-breaker.

pandaa109
04-28-2011, 04:57 PM
I imagine a lot more people have it but just aren't as sensitive to it as others.

I believe its probably compounded by monitors with an already morderate level of input lag. I believe mine only has about 10-20ms which isn't noticeable in anything else but added ontop of this too...blargh

jimbop
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I experienced this for the first time tonight. I have mostly just been shooting bombers down and small dogfights but when I loaded up the Aerial Battle - Dover I noticed the lag.