PDA

View Full Version : Air Speed HUB

drewpee
04-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know if you can have Air Speed, Altitude and compass on screen like in IL2. Its the only thing I'm missing from the old game.

drewpee
04-02-2011, 03:06 AM
No replies:(. I'm finding it a bit hard in a steep climb to keep an eye on air speed. I also have trouble with MPH and FEET as I've always used metric. Its ok with German AC but the British gauges can be confusing. :confused:

Desode
05-17-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm trying to find the same answer ! Its hard to learn CEM on each plane with out a Speed Hub like in Old Il2.

If this feature I really there I would like to know how to use it. I would think that it is there some where but I can't find any information on the matter.
I know there are more important issues, but I just want to know if its there or not.

Desode

Blackdog_kt
05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
There's not one by default, but you can create a lot of customized overlay windows for all sorts of information. I'm not entirely sure if you can get it to repeat instrument read-outs, but this is how you can customize a window from scratch to display a variety of things you might want:

1) Once you are in the cockpit (just start a mission from QMB and pause the sim) enable the mouse cursor (default key is F10) and right click on the screen to get a menu pop-up, then select the option to create a new info window.

2) Mouse click is used to work the cockpit controls, alt-click is used to select the interface info windows. So, alt-click on the window you just created to bring it into focus (if it's not already), then right click on it and select customize.

3) You can now see the customization screen. On the right-most column you can see the available information you can display. Click on an item from that column and then click on the arrow buttons to move it to the middle column. The middle column is what the window actually displays (right column is what's available, middle column is what you choose to see).

You can have more than one information streams displayed on a single window. If you want to change their priority, click on one of the middle column items and click on the arrow buttons to move them up/down the list.

4) Once you select the information you need to be displayed, you can further customize each of them. This is what the left-most column does, it displays extra options for each of the items in the middle column. Just click on one of the items in the middle column and you'll see its options in the left-hand column.

I didn't try to make a speedbar window so i don't know if the required information is available in the info window options, but after a while i realized i didn't need it.
The cockpits are looking very nice and i use freetrack in combination with the "look at instruments" key (i mapped this to one of my stick buttons), so i can easily look at my instruments. That key command is very useful because it only works for as long as you keep the key/button pressed, this way you can take quick glances at the instrument panel.

If it turns out that creating a speedbar is not possible, map a key to that function and use it instead (i think it's mapped to numeric keypad 0 by default).

Desode
05-17-2011, 11:51 PM
THANKS VERY MUCH Blackdog !!!
Sincerely, Desode

Blackdog_kt
05-18-2011, 03:42 AM
No worries. I've actually started compiling a FAQ by copy-pasting such posts to a text file.

As soon as i have enough, or a few days after the US release when a new bunch people will have similar questions (whichever happens first) i aim to post it here and on simHQ to save everyone time from looking around the forum and myself from having to type it every time :grin:

Redroach
05-18-2011, 05:48 AM
but there isn't a dataset that displays heading, is there? Currently, I have no reliable way to know my heading in RAF fighters...