PDA

View Full Version : Does MP actually work?

MadTommy
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Simple question...Does MP actually work?

Steam version. Port forwarding enabled. Cannot connect or host server or see any others in the list.

Tried with a friend on TS to get it working.. no joy.

Is it broken? :confused:

JG52Uther
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Read Luthiers roadmap thread posted today.

MadTommy
04-01-2011, 10:59 AM
thanks.. however 3. Multiplayer. There is something in steam filters that prevents game servers from being found. This is only happening with live retail versions of the game. This apparently isn’t caused by us – hopefully it’s just a simple oversight somewhere and the fix will be a simple flick of a switch.

Does not seem to be a reason why direct connection over IP should not work. Or is it?

ATAG_Bliss
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Question is though: How do you setup a dedicated server for MP? In other words, a real physical machine running MP? I understand the jazz about something wrong with steam and/or the game atm, but I don't understand how you can have 2 steam accounts and 2 registration keys running at the same time (one for the dedicated machine and one for your personal machine)

Assuming that the dedicated software is also ran through steam, that would mean that you need 2 steam accounts and 2 registration keys correct? I know you can't have the same steam account running on 2 different computers at the same time, and I doubt you can have 2 registration keys running on 2 different computers at the same time. So what am I missing here?

JG53Harti
04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
thanks.. however

Does not seem to be a reason why direct connection over IP should not work. Or is it?

direct connection works

eldiablo155
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Could you tell me how ?
I didnt find a way to let it works! Client doesn't see a join or fly button , he can just connect...
if you can tell me how , I apreciated a lot
cya ;)

MadTommy
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
direct connection works

Yes.. please explain how?

Myself & friend on TS tried.. we are both old hands at multiplayer games, hosting servers etc.. and we could not connect to each other no matter what we tried.

tintifaxl
04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
... how you can have 2 steam accounts and 2 registration keys running at the same time (one for the dedicated machine and one for your personal machine)

The sensible thing to do is to create a dedicated server program that doesn't need to be run through Steam, but with the Steam functionality included. As is the CS:S server, for instance.

tintifaxl
04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Could you tell me how ?
I didnt find a way to let it works! Client doesn't see a join or fly button , he can just connect...
if you can tell me how , I apreciated a lot
cya ;)

Me and a squadmate had a go at it yesterday. I connected as the client and then I had a menu item "Select Army". I chose that and selected Red Army, then the server spawned a flight of 8 spits. I could select a group and plane then and voila, I was on an airfield with engines running.

MadTommy
04-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Me and a squadmate had a go at it yesterday. I connected as the client and then I had a menu item "Select Army". I chose that and selected Red Army, then the server spawned a flight of 8 spits. I could select a group and plane then and voila, I was on an airfield with engines running.

Is it the steam version or boxed version you were using please. As I trying the Steam version.. no joy.

ATAG_Bliss
04-01-2011, 01:00 PM
The sensible thing to do is to create a dedicated server program that doesn't need to be run through Steam, but with the Steam functionality included. As is the CS:S server, for instance.

Yes, I agree with you.. But my question is does Cliffs of Dover include this (ie - is this program part of the game install?) Or is there a seperate dedicated program download available? I've heard conflicting reports on how MP will be implemented. Just want to know how it's done and how to get a dedicated server up and running ;)

klem
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Is it the steam version or boxed version you were using please. As I trying the Steam version.. no joy.

Last night my buddies and I used Steam.

One of them created a server on his gameplay PC and loaded a mission. He stopped there. THEN we joined by direct IP. (At first we could find him under the Friends option but for some reason it stopped working so we used the Internet option and the Direct Connect button.)

THEN he 'Started Battle' and we all launched.

Simples!

Now if i could just remember how to create a dogfight mission :( All I seem to be able to do is make a co-op. Probably my little grey cells.

MadTommy
04-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Ok thanks.. we did try exactly as you described.. but no luck, we'll try again this evening and see if we can figure it out.

Yes, I agree with you.. But my question is does Cliffs of Dover include this (ie - is this program part of the game install?) Or is there a seperate dedicated program download available? I've heard conflicting reports on how MP will be implemented. Just want to know how it's done and how to get a dedicated server up and running ;)

There appears to be NO dedicated server included..as for how anyone is meant to host 128 players on a home connection is a little lost on me :-P

sorak
04-01-2011, 05:11 PM
It has been stated that a dedicated server program will come later on. Not at release.

ATAG_Bliss
04-01-2011, 06:29 PM
It has been stated that a dedicated server program will come later on. Not at release.

Ah perfect :)

Didn't catch that one. Thanks!

MadTommy
04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Ditto, thanks for the info.

Glad it's planned.

MadTommy
04-01-2011, 07:46 PM

Please read this... http://il-2-sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dovers/blog/uk/?p=932

Will the game include dedicated server software?

Yes, a dedicated server software will be part of the initial release.

;)

FS_albatross
04-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Just a little FAQ for those having trouble hosting a game and others joining via direct connect. I have the steam version and can see no servers online when i select client, internet. So I went to server, and created a server.
First make sure the Steam port is allowed access in your modem/ router- 27015. When you select multiplayer in game, I went to server and then in the bottom right click ok. I then had to load a mission, which took me to two folders in a window. One called single, and the other multi. Open the multi folder and another two options came up, one called coop, the other Dogfight. Within the dogfight folder are the various multiplayer maps. Select one and hit ok/enter.
Now you have the option to 'Start Battle'.. which I did and then I clicked select army. Another option now pops in the menu called 'spawn player group'. Go through the fields and in order to make sure you spawn enter a number of at least 1 in the Flight1, Flight2..etc fields. then click create. Wait a moment and you will spawn into the game.
Now some other stuff, if you enter a number other than 1 in the flight fields, all those other planes will be AI. Also before creating the server make sure in Realism option down the bottom that the aircraft switching options are allowed.
If you want someone to join you then they need your IP... to get that you can do one of two things. If using Teamspeak right click the persons name who is going to host the server and click client connection info, copy the numbers listed as client address. Make sure not to copy the port.. eg: 111.11.11.111:11111, do not select the numbers after the : symbol.
The other way is to go to this site http://ip-lookup.net/, the hoster can then give you his/her IP.
Once you know the IP your trying to connect to, go to multiplayer, click client then down the bottom click 'direct connect'. In the IP tab put those numbers you copied from the person who is hosting the game, and in the port field put in 27015, that is Steams port. All done you should be able to join a multiplayer game.
Also the online maps come with AI already in the map so I used the Full mission builder and edited a multiplayer map to give airspawns and historical sides, eg: blue axis, red allied, plus ships and objects to bomb and well... you can explore like I did.
Hope that helps... happy hunting online. ~S~ :)

Tiger27
04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Just a little FAQ for those having trouble hosting a game and others joining via direct connect. I have the steam version and can see no servers online when i select client, internet. So I went to server, and created a server.
First make sure the Steam port is allowed access in your modem/ router- 27015. When you select multiplayer in game, I went to server and then in the bottom right click ok. I then had to load a mission, which took me to two folders in a window. One called single, and the other multi. Open the multi folder and another two options came up, one called coop, the other Dogfight. Within the dogfight folder are the various multiplayer maps. Select one and hit ok/enter.
Now you have the option to 'Start Battle'.. which I did and then I clicked select army. Another option now pops in the menu called 'spawn player group'. Go through the fields and in order to make sure you spawn enter a number of at least 1 in the Flight1, Flight2..etc fields. then click create. Wait a moment and you will spawn into the game.
Now some other stuff, if you enter a number other than 1 in the flight fields, all those other planes will be AI. Also before creating the server make sure in Realism option down the bottom that the aircraft switching options are allowed.
If you want someone to join you then they need your IP... to get that you can do one of two things. If using Teamspeak right click the persons name who is going to host the server and click client connection info, copy the numbers listed as client address. Make sure not to copy the port.. eg: 111.11.11.111:11111, do not select the numbers after the : symbol.
The other way is to go to this site http://ip-lookup.net/, the hoster can then give you his/her IP.
Once you know the IP your trying to connect to, go to multiplayer, click client then down the bottom click 'direct connect'. In the IP tab put those numbers you copied from the person who is hosting the game, and in the port field put in 27015, that is Steams port. All done you should be able to join a multiplayer game.
Also the online maps come with AI already in the map so I used the Full mission builder and edited a multiplayer map to give airspawns and historical sides, eg: blue axis, red allied, plus ships and objects to bomb and well... you can explore like I did.
Hope that helps... happy hunting online. ~S~ :)

great advice, but myself and two friends did exactly that and no luck, we each tried to be server?

FS_albatross
04-03-2011, 03:21 AM
Hi Tiger did you manage to open the steam port in your modem/router? I had to do this before it would work. It isn't just a simple ok to the allow access screen that pops up. You have to go into your modems config page and set it up. also when you say no luck exactly what was the problem?

Jabo2009
08-24-2011, 12:07 PM
hi,

though it has been mentioned many times, I still couldnt find a tutorial here how to get the online play running:

Ticked all the aircraft switching boxes (5-6 boxes) to OFF, so that its possible to change a/c.

when on multiplayer I still dont get a single server indicated... game searches for about 30 sec. and then "No Server found" message appears...

PLS ! give me some input on this issue.

PS: antivir is deactivated

cheers

klem
08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
hi,

though it has been mentioned many times, I still couldnt find a tutorial here how to get the online play running:

Ticked all the aircraft switching boxes (5-6 boxes) to OFF, so that its possible to change a/c.

when on multiplayer I still dont get a single server indicated... game searches for about 30 sec. and then "No Server found" message appears...

PLS ! give me some input on this issue.

PS: antivir is deactivated

cheers

When you want to join an existing server use Multiplayer.... Client and pick from one of the servers listed (be sure that the 'Source' drop-down box is set to 'Internet'). If none appear, close 'Client' and try again (a known bug).

When you want to create your own server use Multiplayer...Server. Give your server a 'Name' (any name will do), maybe add some 'Info' like "Testing", enter a Password if you want to password protect your server, set the Max Players you want on the server, set Realisms and click OK. Now you should have a list of missions/campaigns available down the left hand side of the next screen. If not, use the orange gunsight symbols (top left) the same way you would use folder symbols in Explorer to navigate up and down the folders until you find the Dogfight and Co-Op folders and their sub-folders. Highlight the mission you want to run and click 'Select'. At the 'map room' screen click 'Start Battle', it will load, you will be in it and others will see it on the 'Client' list. Well, that's the theory.

Works for me.

Jabo2009
08-24-2011, 05:03 PM
closed client and repeated, once again, not a single server appears ! it finds nothing ! wtf?

ATAG_Bliss
08-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi Jabo,

There's a bug if you reinstall the game you'll lose all your server lists.

To fix it, go to the MP section and start your own server. You usually only have to have it up for a few seconds. Then go back to the client section and the servers should show up for you again.

Jabo2009
08-24-2011, 06:00 PM
10/10 Atag ! this worked perfectly, got server list immediatley...joined one for test...but couldnt get to fly...

after I joined one server I had the player list and and the online map...but how can I spawn after I selected a plane? there was no "fly" button or smthg, just a record track button.....??

ATAG_Bliss
08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Above the player lists there's a flag. Choose a flag to pick your side. After that, you should be able to click on an airfield on the side you chose. From there you can choose the plane you want and the load-out for it. The "create" button under your plane choice on the right hand side of the screen will spawn you in.

After you've landed, crashed, died :), you'll need to click on an airfield again and use create to spawn again.

Jabo2009
08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
many thx again ATAG..everything works fine now

cheers Tom