PDA

View Full Version : airplane moving left while taking off

sveri
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi,

after having played several flightsims like MFS in the 90-ies and DCS BS lately, i totally missed the IL2 Series up to now.

Just bought CoD yesterday, got it up and running, now i wonder, when i try to start a plane in the first solo flight, or first part of the campaign, it moves very hard to the left and i have to push my aileron (or siderudder? i always mix those two up :( ) to the right to keep the airplane in a straight way.

This is the first time i see such a behaviour and wonder if its normal or intended?
My trimmers are all balanced, so this cannot be the cause, i hope :D

However, realising that i have to get the nose down before i can take off, and using the height trimmer for that was a great moment for me, i like it so far :-)

Greetings
Sven

Azimech
04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes, it's true, the torque of the engine makes the whole plane wanting to rotate along it's longitudal axis, pushing down one wheel more than the other, creating more friction. Opposite rudder, not aileron, is the way to correct this.

Rykane
04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey. Its perfectly normal. Its called Torque and its produced by the engine and propeller, when you start the engine the propeller starts to rotate and is forced to move in a certain direction.

The aircraft you were in was creating left torque so the aircraft moved left, to counteract it you need to use right rudder. If the aircraft starts to move right you need to use left rudder to counteract the torque.

sveri
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Cool thank you, i remember having read about that in the manual. But i just couldnt imagine that its extreme like that on the ground, because i never seen it that way in another flight sim.

Knowing now that it's real like this makes it even more fun.

Right now i am controlling the rudder with my saitek x52, which is very hard for me, what do you think? Is it useful to buy some 'real' rudder pedals like these:
http://www.amazon.de/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B000H67DDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1301655113&sr=8-1

Does it make things easier?

Greetings
Sven

Travelbob
04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Well, I have the same issue and I knew what the reason is, but giving full pedal in the opposite direction doesn't help. even using the breaks doesn't help!!! What do I wrong - should I use more or less throttle?
My Stuka goes always left - it is hard to take off. :confused:

drewpee
04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I find slowly applying throttle as the AC picks up speed helps for me. The AC needs speed before you get any response from the rudder(more air across the control surface). The sooner you get the tail up the sooner you'll get control so try forward stick to lift the tail. Using landing flaps also helps.

Travelbob
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I find slowly applying throttle as the AC picks up speed helps for me. The AC needs speed before you get any response from the rudder(more air across the control surface). The sooner you get the tail up the sooner you'll get control so try forward stick to lift the tail. Using landing flaps also helps.

Thank you, I will try this. I hope at parking position on the airfield it will work too! I will use flaps and breaks and rudder and your information!

effte
04-02-2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.simhq.com/_air/images/air_003d_2.jpg

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_003d.html