PDA

View Full Version : Game crash to desktop

angrueo
04-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I love this game, but the thing that bothers me is that, after a few minutes of play, the game always exits to desktop while keeping running on background, for it appears in Task Manager as Active, but it won't let me get in it again.

I'm running Win 7 x64, and the signature's rig.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Speckled_Jim
05-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I just installed CoD and have encountered the same problem. Some googling led me to this answer, from a dev. post:

"7. Q: I am running Windows Vista / 7, and my game constantly crashes.

A: You have most likely manually reset your render to use DX9. Cliffs of Dover only supports DX9 on Windows XP. Please use DX10 on DX10-capable operating systems, as switching to DX9 actually reduces performance, in addition to leading to unexpected crashes. "

I had done nothing to my system to specify wither DX9 or DX10. But I did a bit more googling to find out how to be sure that CoD is using DX10, and found this answer:

"Check whether the conf.ini in your 'My Documents\ 1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover' folder contains this line in the [Window] section:

Render=D3D10

If there's a =D3D9 -ish value, try and change it into =D3D10."

I looked in my conf.ini and found no such line. But I went ahead and added "Render=D3D10" to the [window] section. Sure enough, I can now fly without the game crashing. But the game looks worse and runs worse!!

It actually looks decent and runs 50-60 FPS over land without that line in the conf.ini, but I can only fly for a minute or two at most before the game freezes.

With "Render=D3D10" in the conf.ini, I can see grid lines on the landscape, shores and streams look extremely blocky if they are more than 1km away, and I get at least a 10 fps hit.

I would love to be able to run it without that conf.ini. tweak. Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks

PS-
Win7 64-bit
ASUS P7P55D-E pro mobo
i5-760 @ 3.4ghz
Patit GTX 560ti 2gb
8gb 1600mhz RAM
500gb SATAIII HDD

SEE
05-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Its such a shame to see these posts. If it's any consolation I have 1Gb GTX560ti installed in a Duel Core Mobo with 4Gb and running win7 64bit. The game runs very well other than a couple of the stock missions (over France) where I get Launcher crashes/screen freezing.

It may help if you post:-

a) your CoD video settings

b) if you have installed a Beta patch and, if so, which release.

c) wether 'Aero' is enabled or disabled.

d) your screen resolution

e) if running in full screen with the latest patch your AA and Nvidea settings.

With the correct set up and all files intact you should have a largely playable and enjoyable experience.

Try clearing the 'cache' and 'shaders' folder by deleting everything in them then re-launch

I just checked my Config file and, wether it makes any difference, my render line is D3D10_0 and currently have many of the video options High but grass, shadows, roads, trees, - Off.

I am running with the latest May4th beta release. I hope you guys can sort it rather than give up.

SEE
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Your rig should not cause you grief but pretty sure that I read that CoD running DX11 will. Before you give up, is there a reason why you must or do run DX11?

It must be frustrating but all the best with whatever you decide, I would hang on before ditching CoD, pretty sure many issues will be resolved over the coming months.

Speckled_Jim
05-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Its such a shame to see these posts. If it's any consolation I have 1Gb GTX560ti installed in a Duel Core Mobo with 4Gb and running win7 64bit. The game runs very well other than a couple of the stock missions (over France) where I get Launcher crashes/screen freezing.

It may help if you post:-

a) your CoD video settings

b) if you have installed a Beta patch and, if so, which release.

c) wether 'Aero' is enabled or disabled.

d) your screen resolution

e) if running in full screen with the latest patch your AA and Nvidea settings.

With the correct set up and all files intact you should have a largely playable and enjoyable experience.

Try clearing the 'cache' and 'shaders' folder by deleting everything in them then re-launch

I just checked my Config file and, wether it makes any difference, my render line is D3D10_0 and currently have many of the video options High but grass, shadows, roads, trees, - Off.

I am running with the latest May4th beta release. I hope you guys can sort it rather than give up.

I can't help but notice that everyone posting in this thread has a GTX560... hmm. At least one of us has a functional install.

I should note that my post above is no longer completely relevant, in that I did a Steam "verify integrity of game" check, and it added the D3D10 line to my conf.ini. Crashes continued.

A) I have tried various combinations but now have everything set on "low" with trees, grass, shadows, SSAO, and anti-epilapsy off.

B) I have tried stock (14101) and four different beta patches. experienced best stability with latest May 4 patch but still crashes after a few minutes (better than a few seconds as before but still unacceptable).

C) Have tried it with Aero enabled, and with Aero disabled. Experienced instability in both cases.

D) 1920x1200

E) Runnign full screen, 2xAA in game, Nvidia settings left at default.

I always get a fleeting error message when the sim crashes, "Display driver has encountered a problem and shut down. Display driver has recovered." So something else I tried was switching from 270.61 drivers to 266.66. No effect.

Thanks for your replies, SEE. I must say I have come to agree with Skymood's assessment. I have started the sim, loaded a quick mission, flown for a few seconds or maybe minutes, crashed, changed some setting, then repeated countless times over the past few days. I am thinking I will simply wait for the next official patch and hope for the best.

Buchon
05-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi everyone,
I love this game, but the thing that bothers me is that, after a few minutes of play, the game always exits to desktop while keeping running on background, for it appears in Task Manager as Active, but it won't let me get in it again.

I'm running Win 7 x64, and the signature's rig.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I would start the problem tracking by disabling any overclock to do a test with default clocks, maybe its not stable.

And be sure that the wattage of the PSU is enough for the new card.

cianw1
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Sorry to bump, but i am also encountering this problem, and also have a GTX 560 Ti. i think that the problem is the 'display driver is not responding' and i have had this issue with a few games.

JG26_EZ
04-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Before you panic, wait until after this next patch (very soon to be released, I think). Alot of people are having CTD's, and it's quite possible that it might not be on your end. There is a supposed "memory leak" somewhere (so I have read).

Just a thought.

cianw1
04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Hmm the thing is though, that I have had this exact CTD with a few other games including CoD4 and Battlefield3 (but not limited to). I think that the problem is with the drivers for the GTX560, because i have seen in multiple forums people with the same error and all with 560's.