PDA

View Full Version : [Performance] Rendering of Objects

Wurschtie
04-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Hi, I noticed a few things:

Depending on which settings i choose, objects are either only visible in a range of ~500m, or (on the next higher setting) rendered till the horizon. Both is kind of unneccessary. If I then turn down the Forests (Tree number), there are half the number of trees everywhere, which makes forests in my close surrounding look like garbage.

Perhaps it is possible for the devs to include some kind of proportional object rendering, rendering more objects close to me, and rendering objects further away with way lower priority, or at all? I noticed that underneath a forest is still the darker area of the ground texture. For a forest 4km away, this would be enough, there's no need to render the exact tree objects, because we just wouldn't notice a difference between tree objects and a dark texture in 4km distance. Same goes for houses.

Additional thought: Back in the old days, forests consisted of three or four horizontal texture layers, and not hundreds of objects. they were semi transparent and had green dots with a subtle noisy texture. This is way enough to display a forest in 4km distance, and would be a great relief for the systems.

Another additional thought:
For me, the performance problems have narrowed down to a point where it seems like that people with at least EDIT: 2 Gigs of GPU memory (or more) are (perfectly?) able to play the game, whereas all others (1Gig) have stutter problems, (almost) regardless of CPU speed or RAM size.
Can anyone confirm?

Hoping for a patch, but still loving the sim.

Fansadox
04-01-2011, 01:49 AM
I have GTX480 with 1.5g ram and it still stutters!

The engine is broke its as simple as that.. been tweaking and messing around with all sorts of settings and theres simply NO way you can make this game run like its suppose to be.

I hope they can fix the major FPSdowners in the next few days because at this point i dont feel like starting up the game anymore for a while.

kingpinda
04-01-2011, 01:52 AM
I have a 4870 1 gig graphics card and absolutely no stutters. granted I have turned buildings and forests down and using no anti aliasing. almost all settings are on high and a few on medium. using native res 1920x1280. am playing training missions and campaign with no problems.

only gripe i have is that my hands hurt.... I hope Forcefeedback will be in game soon :/

other hardware: e8400 intel dualcore @stock. 4 gigs RAM. SAS 15k RPM HDD as windows partition and steam with cliffs of dover is located on my samsung spinpoint f1. DFI lanparty mobo p-35.

Wurschtie
04-01-2011, 02:01 AM
I have a 4870 1 gig graphics card
other hardware: e8400 intel dualcore @stock. 4 gigs RAM. SAS 15k RPM HDD as windows partition and steam with cliffs of dover is located on my samsung spinpoint f1. DFI lanparty mobo p-35.

Now it's really getting interesting. My sys:

GIGABYTE P35 DS3 MoBo
Intel Q9400 @2,8Ghz Quadcore
ATI HD4890 1GB
6 GB RAM (Corsair)
OCZ Vertex 2 180GB SSD
Res. 1920x1080

I have both the system and the game on the SSD, and I have massive problems, everything set to medium and AA off.

By the way: this thread can be moved to 'technical threads'. Sorry to the mods for me not noticing.

kingpinda
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Now it's really getting interesting. My sys:

GIGABYTE P35 DS3 MoBo
Intel Q9400 @2,8Ghz Quadcore
ATI HD4890 1GB
6 GB RAM (Corsair)
OCZ Vertex 2 180GB SSD
Res. 1920x1080

I have both the system and the game on the SSD, and I have massive problems, everything set to medium and AA off.

By the way: this thread can be moved to 'technical threads'. Sorry to the mods for me not noticing.

Btw... I failed to mention that in my bios i have disabled a few options which helped tremendously with DCS A-10c micro stutters.

I have disabled CEIST or CIE whats it called and disabled hyperthreading. I can try and find the thread on eagle dynamics. A-10c had tremendous optimization problems also.

edit link: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68060

see if there is something that may help you in there. offcourse you shouldnt download the 64bit trackir setup. since il2 is 32bit