PDA

View Full Version : IL2 CloD: Benchmark your system!

Flymo3000
03-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Long time lurker here - first post. :) Having seen the varied feedback so far from those pioneers who are lucky / brave enough to get CloD up and running already, I thought it would be good to give everyone the chance to benchmark their systems and provide feedback on their findings so far. Hopefully this will help others in choosing new hardware, and optimizing their CloD settings.

If you can spare a few minutes, drop by to this site and add your specs and feedback! If it proves popular it could turn in to a useful resource for us all!

https://sites.google.com/site/il2benchmarks/

PM me if you have any feedback on the site or survey itself - and sorry if I missed any obvious questions!

Note that you can see all the results by clicking the link at the bottom of the site.

IAF_Phantom
04-01-2011, 12:25 AM
+1

I uploaded my stats :)

DrPepper
04-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Should ask them what type of HD they have and RPM if it isn't SSD... I think some people were saying that HD speed played some part in the stutters.

Flymo3000
04-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Should ask them what type of HD they have and RPM if it isn't SSD... I think some people were saying that HD speed played some part in the stutters.

Done! I've only added hard drive speed (including SSD as an option), as I guess that should be the main factor. I decided against including RAID arrays as as question.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to edit your data, so if you already responded you won't be able to add info on your hard drive.

There have been quite a few responses already. If it continues to grow I'll look at some ways to present the results in a slightly more readable format.

Capt Backasswards
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Use this sim to benchmark my system? Yeah, that'll make us feel real good about our systems!!! Maybe later when it is optimized better. But now? Shirley you jest!!!:lol:

Flymo3000
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Use this sim to benchmark my system? Yeah, that'll make us feel real good about our systems!!! Maybe later when it is optimized better. But now? Shirley you jest!!!:lol:

:grin: There are plenty of ways you can benchmark your system, e.g. 3DMark, etc...

The intent is to get a feel for which systems are running CloD well, and which aren't - nothing more than that.

TeeJay82
04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
my system speccs:

Cabinet: Silverstone raven 02
Motherboard:Asus Crosshair Folmula IV
PSU: Cooler master Silent gold 1000w
CPU: Amd 1090t clocked to 6 x 3.8ghz /w Coolit vantage alc cpu cooler
Memory: Kingston Hyper x 2333mhz 1.65v 8gb (4x2gb) running at 2000mhz
Hdd1 c:\ OCZ Revodrive 120gb
Hdd2 d:\ 2x WD raptor 10000rpm 600gb in raid 0
GPU: Gainward 580GTX with accelerato xtreme plus cooler at stock clock settings
Dvd: sony optiarc &%ยค%& something

Windows performance index:

cpu - 7.6
ram - 7.6
gpu - 7.9 on both
hdd`s 7.9

still the game is unplayable/unenjoyable even on low/medium/high/v.high settings

buuuut i guess a patch is right around the corner

T}{OR
04-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I can see devs making use of this. Nicely done!

Fusek
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Specs submitted!

JG52Uther
04-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Done!
LOL at the epilepsy filter results: off 61 /on 0

bienenbaer
04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
... but one really needs to tell some details so that somebody else does know what to expect. Fact is, I have an uncommon system for gamers (Dell M6400 Notebook with qx9300 FX3700M 1Gb VRAM 4Gb RAM) where tuning is important and performance depends on scenario.

Other Intel qx9300 and NVIDIA FX 3700M owners: please take a look at the spreadsheet (again bumping the names so internet search engines take note) and share your tweaks ...

Idea of thread/benchmark site is ++

Thanks!

jimbop
04-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Good one, added my results. Bring on the next patch, should make a big difference.

Capt Backasswards
04-01-2011, 10:16 PM
:grin: There are plenty of ways you can benchmark your system, e.g. 3DMark, etc...

The intent is to get a feel for which systems are running CloD well, and which aren't - nothing more than that.

Gotcha!:smile: Just don't know if I want to humiliate my system right now.:lol:

Rattlehead
04-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Submitted, but my GPU memory is 1GB, not 128mb, as reported on the site.

Skinny
04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Guys Im doing some thorough benchmarking, testing various settings and impacts of things like GPU and CPU speed on a few tracks.

One thing Id love to investigate is the impact of the amount vram, as it seems to be huge, as neither CPU nor GPU frequency scaling seems to impact my FPS much, if at all.

Does anyone have a Core2 quad (ideally ~3 GHz, but I can match slightly higher or lower speeds as well) and ATI 4870 1GB?

If so (and only if so), you could help me greatly by benching this track:
http://www.mediafire.com/?b7kioohkbadc9dd

Download it, save it where it belongs, in my case its in:

C:\Users\[my username]\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\records

Use these exact same settings:

resolution: 1360x768 (*) and/or 1920x1080
anti aliasing: 4x for 1360x768 and 0x for 1920x1080
Epilepsy: Off
Model: high
building: low
land:low
forest:low
effects:high
damage decals:medium
buildings:low
land shading: low
grass: off
shadows:off
roads:off

* Please note, to enable 1360x768 you can edit conf.ini. Use the correct one, so this one:
C:\Users\youruser\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

EpilepsyFilter=0

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8
DrawIfNotFocused=0
SaveAspect=0
Render=D3D10_0
[B]width=1360
height=768
ColourBits=32
FullScreen=1
ChangeScreenRes=1

Feel free to change fullscreen and changescreenres to 0 if your monitor doesnt support this res.

Set your videocard to run at 750 MHz core and 900 MHz videomemory (I think 1 GB models by default clock a bit higher. If yours would be lower, thats fine, I can match that).

Run fraps. Play the track. The moment to cockpit shows up, press P for pauze. Wait a few seconds for the FPS to stabilize. Unpauze, and start fraps benchmark. THen send me the 3 CSV files fraps generates in c:\fraps\benchmarks.

Big thanks!

tranquillity
04-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi,
I have a hd4870 1gb, a core i7 920 @stock and 6gb of ram.
but i fail to get your bench track running, i copied in the records folder but it won't show up in the menu.
what am I doing wrong?

Skinny
04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
To play a a track, go to extra / tracks / select. You should get a filebrowser (takes a few seconds).

tranquillity
04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
no joy, the benchx.trk is in the records folder, but when i press tracks/select nothing happens. the game neither crashes nor freezes. But there is also no filebrowser coming up.
:S

Skinny
04-03-2011, 09:21 PM
If you record a track yourself, can you play that back?
Do you have the steam version?

tranquillity
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
yes I do have the steam version.
there somewhere must be the problem,
i can not record a track myself!
just tried to do so in a the free channel quick mission, but when I press start recording "single mission" greys out and I can't do anything. when i click, i hear that typical windows 7 error sound.
could it be admin permissions or something? is that a known bug with steam?
sorry for my english btw i'm german.

Skinny
04-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah sounds like its a steam/permissions thing. Try this (from the technical FAQ):
* Right-click the game in the game list in your steam Library.
* Go to the Updates tab of the Properties window.
* Uncheck "Enable steam cloud..."
* Press Close

tranquillity
04-03-2011, 09:48 PM
ok steam cloud is disabled, the game still crashes after I press start recording, have to kill it via task manager(never crashed before).
It is also not possible to play your track, after pressing select nothing happens, just as before..

Skinny
04-03-2011, 09:55 PM
try starting the game as administrator (right click the launcher) or disable UAC (http://www.dkszone.net/turn-onoff-user-account-control-notifications-windows-7)at your own peril.

tranquillity
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
did both, still won't work.
that is really annoying.
must be something wrong with my computer, but what??

Crossfade
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Great idea m8 +1 just did mine

danjama
04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Just a bump, i think this needs keeping around.

FAE_Cazador
04-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Now we have a Black Death track, so the website should be updated as promised. ;)

Flymo3000
05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Now we have a Black Death track, so the website should be updated as promised. ;)
Will see what I can do! Will try to make the necessary changes this week but I'm away from home at the moment...

I don't have the game yet, could someone post screenshot(s) showing graphics options screen so I can ensure all options are included in survey.

Flymo3000
05-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I've updated the site (https://sites.google.com/site/il2benchmarks/) with a new survey which includes the Black Death track. The old results are still available for posterity...

Let me know if you think I've missed anything important from the survey.

FAE_Cazador
05-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Thank you, done.

Spinnetti
05-08-2011, 02:55 PM
What do you use to get the FPS info? - in game or FRAPS or? (I haven't seen how to do it in game yet - I installed fraps and get about 15fps on med/low settings)

Saw some interesting things in the track though... Explosions from a distance looked great. Lots of bugs though. No engine sounds on flyby in external view, sound lags the events, bombs bounce off the ground, AA gunners are in the ground, not in their seats, AA keeps firing when ammo is gone (cool that it shows the ammo being used though), messages show "afterburner on".... also noticed playing for the first time yesterday, that I couldn't put the landing gear down, and when coming in belly up, the plane just sat there on the ground with no damage and the motor still running... buggy!

kristorf
05-08-2011, 03:12 PM
In game click shift+tab
Type in fps START SHOW
click enter then shift+tab again

Flymo3000
05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Made a few small updates to the site - there's now a separate Results tab, where I'll add more charts, etc if/when we get more results...

Flymo3000
10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Now the number of users is growing I thought I'd remind you about this site:

Would be good to get some more results so people can see which combinations of hardware / OS / game settings are working well (and which aren't).

desigabri
10-15-2011, 08:15 PM

Would be good to get some more results so people can see which combinations of hardware / OS / game settings are working well (and which aren't).

yes, but I can't get the "black death" trak anywhere

ATAG_Snapper
10-15-2011, 10:59 PM

Done!

My results got recorded twice; I hit the Submit button a second time when the first press didn't seem to take. But no matter. IMHO my results are twice as valuable than anyone else's here, anyway.:-P

SKUD
10-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I can't get results to display. It says it can't open window in a frame. ALso,
I guess you can't change it in a track but clouds seem to be the biggest frame bandit out there. I turn clouds on and my frame rate drops in half.
SKUD

V.4_Pogi
10-16-2011, 10:33 AM
I used the new beta patch(15866),and can't find any track in the track menu.

broken pixel
07-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Very odd that a GTX470 is at the top of the chart with the highest average fps.

That must be a typographical error?

:confused:?????:confused: