PDA

View Full Version : Are the buildings the problem?

mazex
03-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Well, after receiving the game today I'm having bad stutters just as expected on my old rig with a E8400@3.3Ghz, 6 Gb DDR2, GTX275 and Windows 7 x64. But when I was having fun anyway (after tweaking the conf.ini a bit) I was buzzing the Kent countryside in a 109 - and I realized that it was not stuttering while flying low over forests etc if i did not see any houses! As soon as a building got in view it started stuttering and as soon as they disappear it runs OK again. To not see any buildings you naturally have to stay at treetop level though over Kent ;)

I tired going to "high" on forests and it still ran fine, IF NOT SEEING A HOUSE!

Try it yourselves... Or it might be hedges, roads or something else artificial?

bw_wolverine
03-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Curious if the houses have collision detection? That would probably explain it. Trees are okay since they don't need to detect aircraft colliding with it probably.

Test and see if you can smash into the side of Westminster maybe? :P

mazex
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Curious if the houses have collision detection? That would probably explain it. Trees are okay since they don't need to detect aircraft colliding with it probably.

Test and see if you can smash into the side of Westminster maybe? :P

Yep, they have, and the trees don't so you may very well be correct. A simple farmhouse is enough though ;)

Another weird thing is that my old Core2Duo is running at 20-40 percent load while buzzing those peasants ;) The collision detection ought to be in the CPU so that should push that up in those cases one might think? As it is now it seem extremely GPU limited (which may be true with that GPU), but being at below 20 percent as I am at some times on that old CPU? Feels good though as the opposite would be a lot worse while optimizing!

EDIT: having said that the CPU load was "measured" using the Logitech G510 lcd app for performance monitoring. Not the sharpest tool in the shed ;)

Meusli
03-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Well I have been messing around with it for an hour but could not get decent frame rate at all. That is until I got bored and landed next to a village, I can drive around the village with all its buildings etc and get really good fps.

Scratch that, after using fraps it just seems faster on the deck.

jimbop
03-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Yep, they have, and the trees don't so you may very well be correct. A simple farmhouse is enough though ;)

Another weird thing is that my old Core2Duo is running at 20-40 percent load while buzzing those peasants ;) The collision detection ought to be in the CPU so that should push that up in those cases one might think? As it is now it seem extremely GPU limited (which may be true with that GPU), but being at below 20 percent as I am at some times on that old CPU? Feels good though as the opposite would be a lot worse while optimizing!

EDIT: having said that the CPU load was "measured" using the Logitech G510 lcd app for performance monitoring. Not the sharpest tool in the shed ;)

I think you're right, it definitely seems GPU-limited. I get good FPS (average 60 over land with medium/low except for models (high). My HDD is not being accessed much, my CPU is not struggling at all (and is using all cores by the way) but the GPU is fully stressed at 100%. If SLI was supported I'd just get another GTX480.

The stutters are the real problem for me. I can get good FPS but it is not at all smooth. Just wish I knew what bit of hardware is responsible...

Oh, and do you have a mirror on your plane? Turn it off! Instant FPS jump of 60 to 80 for me.

BadgerSmedly
03-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh, and do you have a mirror on your plane? Turn it off! Instant FPS jump of 60 to 80 for me.

You're right on the mirror, and to be honest it's not really much use (that might just be me!)

The buildings are bringing the fps down. I've a reasonable config but get 16-20 FPS over London with building settings on high and at 1920x1200.

lbuchele
03-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Is it possible to disable colision detection in conf.ini?
My opinion is that the only solution will be to designate one core only for CD like Luthier said.
I don't see as a problem the fact that it limitates the game to four cores systems,right?
You can do CD opcional too in realism options.
Only guessing,though.

nearmiss
03-31-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm OK with it COD, even if the landscapes are watered down to IL2 levels for awhile.

I have no doubt believing that rendering all those buildings and trees are part of the problems with over city fps drops.

Yeah, also the mirror created a drag on several other combat flight sims as I recall. Afterall it displays a defined area of the full landscape you have behind you.

Do I have confidence the COD will get fixed? Yes, I do.

Yet, I am not going to upgrade my hardware until there are conclusive docs on resolved issues. I'm sorry, but combinations of components can make a real difference. It's not always about the most expensive and fastest hardware. I learned that lesson very well with the last system I built.

Look at my specs... I used low latency ram, which made a difference. I used a single video card, because there were bottlenecks with SLI. Bottlenecks that weren't exactly explained when the reseller was giving me the sales pitch on a box full of video cards. LOL

When people speak with authority that doesn't always mean they know anything. :rolleyes:

mazex
04-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Installed late yesterday but did not find any mirrors=x in the conf.ini, did not read it through though! What is it called?

The thing I wanted to point out is that ONE farm is enough to stutter for me... Thousands of trees boasting away under my trusty DB601 is no problem at treetop level, the one small farm and it stutters... Forest and valleys again and good fps. Then stuttering and you have not seen the house yet but knows that you will see it in a second. Will try to make a video of it tonight.

jimbop
04-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Installed late yesterday but did not find any mirrors=x in the conf.ini, did not read it through though! What is it called?

Mirrors are plane-specific so you use a cockpit control: M toggles by default.

jimbop
04-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Will try to make a video of it tonight.

Post a link if you do - would be interesting to see.

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
You're right on the mirror, and to be honest it's not really much use (that might just be me!)

The buildings are bringing the fps down. I've a reasonable config but get 16-20 FPS over London with building settings on high and at 1920x1200.

how do you turn off mirror say in the spit,cant find an option?
thanks

Blackdog_kt
04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
There's a key command to turn off the mirror while flying, i think by default it's mappped to M. I'm not sure since i remapped it (i use M for the map), so have a look in your keybindings options just in case.

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-01-2011, 08:44 PM
thanks Bdog,i found it