PDA

View Full Version : Temporary solution to low fps....

F16_Petter
03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
I know you guys are going to go apeshit about this.. because its pretty basic.. but..I found a very temporary solution how to make this game playable for those of you who are getting a really crappy experience like I did..., but you´re not going to like it... Dont go wild and flame the thread.. before you have tried it.
I would only suggest those who are getting really low performance to try it out.

Anyway it works for me to get the game PLAYABLE.
What did I do?
I set all video settings to minimum in CoD, set it to custom settings and made sure I had lowest on everything. I took the Nvidia control panel and set it to run all settings on performance.
Restarted CoD.

Then I set it to run in a window (not full screen) and set it to lowest available resolution,
640x480.

Once ingame I noticed the following:
fps over channel is 240, and cockpit, panning around and water still looks great!!. Sure its a hell of a small window.. but..
With this high fps the sim really is smooth...and water looks great even at lowest settings. I have increased some settings such as models detail to high etc. still works like a charm..

Fps over england is about 140 but.. here I noticed something weird..
Flying a bit low and fast I noticed minor freezes from time to time and the harddrive started to "load" probably textures or something, and woop! back to 140 fps..

So there must be several different problems creating this mess..

But this way if you start on lowest absolute settings you can work your way up and see where the limit is for you!

Im currently playing around with 200 fps and mapping buttons etc.. its better than not doing anything, like the slideshow I experienced earlier!
Try for yourself!

I´m changing opinion a bit of this mess.. the flight model feels great!
Im actually having FUN now, learning the basics and complex engine management and.. as I said.. mapping all the controls!
:)

My computer is really crappy btw.

Intel E7500 2.93Ghz
Nvidia 9800GT 1GB
8Gb DDR3 RAM
Win7

BobTuck
03-31-2011, 08:00 PM
See this thread too:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19700

BobTuck.

major_setback
03-31-2011, 08:10 PM
I fly Il2 at 1024x (full screen), for the best possible performance. It looks very good at this resolution on my CRT monitor.

I have not expected to be able to exceed this in CoD for a very long time.

F16_Petter
03-31-2011, 08:16 PM
See this thread too:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19700

BobTuck.

Good find, thanx!

I now run 800x600 in windowed mode and its PLAYABLE.
:)

CoD Version 1.00.13820

BigPickle
03-31-2011, 08:23 PM
gutted, windowed mode actually crashes my game every time and i get no sound, fps still bad over land :(

Cowboy10uk
03-31-2011, 10:42 PM
I currently fly at 1280 Res, full screen, low Building detail, and al settings at Medium apart from Model and Damage decals which are set to high, I was still getting stutters when flying lowish Below 7000 when over land, Until I turned off Grass, No she runs sweet as anything, Not sure of my FPS, but apart from the odd stutter now and then, It looks smooth to my eye, which is all I need at end of day.

I also added the config changes by Pedro over at sim hq

- [core]
DynamicalLights=0 (default =1)
VisibilityDistance=2 (default =4)
ShadowMapSize=3 (default =5)

it does take a while to setup but once it is, The sim is stunning, Yes I do have a few graphical errors, manly some black lines heading from land out to sea and the tree shadows shimming like crazy, apart from that. Im more than happy

AMD X4 965 3.4GHZ, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 3TB Hard Disk, ATI 5850 1TB Graphics, 2 x LG 23" Widescreen HD Monitors, Buttkicker 2, TM Warthog Hotas, Saitek Pedals, Track IR And a bloody awful Pilot

Feathered_IV
03-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try windowed mode, just got the sim last night and it's performance was appalling. Drastic measures, but it will at least get me going until features get optimized.

F16_Petter
04-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try windowed mode, just got the sim last night and it's performance was appalling. Drastic measures, but it will at least get me going until features get optimized.

The manual states that using window mode will be a hit on performance, right now its the opposite for me at least!

Hope you get some good results!

machoo
04-01-2011, 06:36 AM
How do you set it to run windowed? I right click on launcher.exe and set it to run 640 res and it reverts back to 1900x res after a few seconds , some tweaks ive been doing is improving things. Over the channel atleast.

JG27_PapaFly
04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
The most elegant go-around is not to buy it, or to return it.