PDA

View Full Version : ClOD trying to download from Steam when CD is in drive

Osprey
03-31-2011, 06:09 PM
This is doing my head in. I pay extra for the collectors edition and follow the instrauctions - FINALLY, and here's what happens:

1. Start the install, told I need to make a steam account, I create it through the UI which is successful. Then it falls over immediately saying that it 'cannot delete steam.exe'
2. I restart the setup.exe and install, then the steam thing appears again, only this time is allows me to put in the code and this is successful, then it moves to the install but fails again with another bloody steam error
3. Try setup again, different screen appears and an install option appears, great. But no, even though I have a CD in the drive it starts downloading the game. IT'S 4+ GB - I have ADSL!!!!

I am honestly livid - it just plain won't let me install game I have paid for. Help please :confused:

Osprey
03-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Am I to understand that the CD does nothing but invoke a steam account creation and download?

Meek
03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
I didn't buy CLoD on physical media, so I'm not sure if it's any different to how you normally install Steam games from DVDs.

Normally, when you install from DVD, it first installs Steam, you set up an account, and the installer will then run via Steam to install from the DVD.

It seems you don't get to that point, it probably has something to do with that "another bloody steam error", what error is it, exactly?

Kosken
03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi!

I also got the Steam dialog telling me it was about to download all required files (I have the DVD).

I just re-started install.exe Now it's installing from the DVD instead. Give it a try if you haven't already.

It's done installing... Got to go :grin:

Osprey
03-31-2011, 07:14 PM
I can't seem to abort that. How can I stop it? Uninstall first? The splash gives me only 'play', 'reinstall' or 'uninstall'. Play and reinstall continues the download.

I didn't catch the other error, sorry.

Osprey
03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
OK thanks Kosken, I had to do an uninstall first, then re-run the setup and it is now installing from the disk. I guess my mistake was to install from the steam menu install button rather than the local one.

Divebomb
04-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Hold on.. is the disc version of this game actually STEAM only?? I was afraid of this and just made a thread asking about this in the general part of the IL-2 section here.