PDA

View Full Version : Not using the CPU Question

Volker
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

We all know the performance problems of COD, I noticed that regardless the setting in "Afinity Mask" the CPU doesn't take a load at all. It runs at 5 to 8% at most.

Of course I am not a PC master but I wonder shouldn't the CPU contribute to GPU instead of staying almost idle while CoD runs?

I want to ask the fellow members of the community to check their CPU load while playing so to verify that its not just my PC that behaves that way.
Better to use windowed mode so you have your task manager open next to game window so you see in real time the CPU load.

Thank you.

Win7U x86 / i7 3ghz/ 4870x2 / 3gig DD3

zipper
03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Could it be the Epilepsy Filter has turned the game into a graphics monster leaving the CPU with not a lot to do while waiting for the GPU to keep up?

mr71mb0
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
it's not right, that's for sure.

I have a Quad Core but it's only using 1 core upto about a max of 25%. I'm going to try adding the affinityMask = 15 tonight see if that helps. even if I get 25% on each core then at least that's equiv of 100% of 1 core.

it's like the sim is being held back by something, especially as everything coming out of the Dev team was saying that it's mostly CPU bound workload, you'd expect the cpu to be running high load.

Volker
03-31-2011, 05:44 PM
^^ I was thinking the same.

I did try "Afinity" 15 and some more before posting but no different result.
Anyway if 95% of the game runs on GPU its certainly a problem (but most probably a solution-able one).

Check this too:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3253109/1.html