PDA

View Full Version : Anti Aliasing doesnt seem to work much

Wynthorpe
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Ive tried all setting and off you can see a heck of a lot of jaggies and 8 X you can see a lot of jaggies, is there any way to use Nvidia control panel to get everyting looking sily smooth?

Wynthorpe
03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah AA is a massive need! the ingame AA works a little, but not very much at all.

norulz
04-01-2011, 05:21 PM
The AA is not complete... if you turn off AA the game turns back in time 10 years :)) ...without the FPS gain...

JumpingHubert
04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
yes, there is for me no difference in performance and nearly no difference in visuals, set AA to 8x or off.

Wynthorpe
04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Ive tried all the drivers below and also setting AA and AF in the Nvidia CP -

No noticeable AA working, sure difference between off and 8X but not silky smooth lines with no jaggies.

JumpingHubert
04-03-2011, 12:53 AM
no better results with latest beta 270.
A small test, external view, paused game:

0xAA =115 fps no effect lol
2xAA =100 fps littel effect
4xAA =100 fps no difference to 2x
up to
8xAA =100fps no difference to 2x

ARGH
04-03-2011, 02:10 AM
i think 4x msaa is the max the game allows. after setting the aa to 8x, i looked into the conf.ini file and it reads 4x msaa.

so this is probably the reason.

atheelen
04-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Anyone had any success using nHancer rather then the in game AA ?

http://www.nhancer.com/

machoo
04-03-2011, 03:20 AM
8X Q and 16X Q in the nvidia control panel improve the picture alot. It's about a 10-15fps hit though.

JumpingHubert
04-03-2011, 02:47 PM
you can test AA when you start instant flight over water, then pause the game with "p" and go to external view with "F2". After a couple of testing all variants/combinations of nvidia control panel settings (8xQ, 16xQ, 32x, multisample, 8x supersample and so on..) and ingame 1x to 8x there is only an effect on 1x ingame. The rest does no change in aa-quality.

@atheelen
with nhancer i have no good experience. Too much registry chaos for me.

Wynthorpe
04-03-2011, 03:21 PM
8X Q and 16X Q in the nvidia control panel improve the picture alot. It's about a 10-15fps hit though.

Tried this and makes no difference at all, also tried forcing via Nvidia Inspector and this makes no difference.

GHarris
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
You often won't notice a difference between 8x AA and 4x AA. Ought to be possible to see a difference between 2x AA and other AA options though. I personally feel that 2x AA is often a barely-helpful setting, not always an aesthetic improvement. (There is no such thing as 1x AA).

One important thing has changed about anti-aliasing since a few years ago - especially compared, for example, to what we were used to with IL-2 1946. Sorry if I don't describe this completely accurately... Pixel shaders break AA. Traditional AA is designed to smooth areas of the screen containing polygon edges. With older games, including IL-2 1946, polygon edges were all you had. Nowadays there are all sorts of shading effects being done to much of what is on screen, and traditional multisample antialiasing (MSAA) simply can't antialias any of this. This is an issue with many modern games.

You may notice that if you turn on, say, 4x MSAA in the game's menus, and fly over the sea, that the edge of your aircraft (in external views) is antialiased. But the surface of the sea below won't be - there'll be those bitty white spots for light glinting on wave edges, rather than softer smoother glints of light.

When the ATI 5870 graphics cards were released a feature was enabled - SSAA (Super sample anti-aliasing). For some vague technical reasons it could only be applied to directx 9 games (not 10+). It is intended to solve the increasing ineffectiveness of MSAA, by antialiasing the entire image "properly" including pixel shaded stuff. And it works, but it has a massive performance impact and (as mentioned) only works in DX9 mode games. I haven't tried switching to CoD's DX9 mode to see what SSAA does, as performance is bad enough for me already! :)

An example screenshot showing the difference between no AA, MSAA and SSAA in modern games can be seen here:
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI1MzU4OTM1NVlDbXBla3ZKZm5fNl8xM V9sLnBuZw==

If you don't spot the difference between MSAA and SSAA it immediately, look at the guy's hair and the white lights on his backpack. The lights are not antialiased at all, using MSAA, because pixel shaders are being applied.

There's another thing. Some kind of fancy effect is being done when you are at very low altitude over water. Which produces a kind of white glow/edging around the boundaries where your wing stops and the sea begins. Again, this is pixel shader gubbins.

For me, 4x MSAA appears to be working as well as it is able to in any modern, shader-heavy game.

i think 4x msaa is the max the game allows. after setting the aa to 8x, i looked into the conf.ini file and it reads 4x msaa.

so this is probably the reason.

The way the AA setting is written in the conf.ini is misleading. I don't think it directly corresponds, number to number, to the antialiasing value you select in the game's menus. I have set 4x antialiasing in the game's menus and the conf.ini setting is "MSAA=3". I suspect that MSAA=4 is 8x AA. So the number you see in the conf.ini is an arbitrary name for an AA option.

JumpingHubert
04-03-2011, 06:05 PM
thanks for the very informative posting. Bad Company 2 is another game AA isn´t working fully. But I think the low AA in IL2-Cod is only a bug nvidia related or whatever and has nothing to do with shader problematic. In other games (Arma2 for example) MSAA=4 means 8AA

Wynthorpe
04-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah ive tired SSAA & MSAA all to no avail, i want super crisp images (like i can get in all my other games) not just a touch of AA.

ptisinge
04-04-2011, 02:54 AM
This reminds me of Rise of Flight, for which it took a long while before I had satisfying AA an AF, and I'm still not happy with the horizon which still doesn't look crisp like what I have in FSX - but having said that I've grown used to tolerating these flaws as long as the cockpit and the surrounding terrain are crisp enough, so I'm ready for some required patience with CoD.

666th_Lange
04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
What file do you apply the settings too... launcher.exe?
Because that doesn't do much therefore i'm thinking that isn't the correct file (like in DCS series, the launcher.exe launches the dcs.exe on which you need to apply the settings. If you set them to launcher.exe nothing will happen...)

Wynthorpe
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
What file do you apply the settings too... launcher.exe?
Because that doesn't do much therefore i'm thinking that isn't the correct file (like in DCS series, the launcher.exe launches the dcs.exe on which you need to apply the settings. If you set them to launcher.exe nothing will happen...)

Yeah ive been setting it to the launcher.exe, need to find out the correct .exe and try on there.

Wolf_Rider
04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
have a look which icon appears (dcs or cod) after assigning, then closing/ reopening nvcp

Wynthorpe
04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
have a look which icon appears (dcs or cod) after assigning, then closing/ reopening nvcp

Sorry you lost me there mate! Assigning what?!

666th_Lange
04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
@ Wolf Rider: You got that one right, it's the LockOn FC2 icon!!
So when you "add" the COD launcher.exe to the NVCP, the LockOn FC2 icon shows up instead.

DrPepper
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah ive been setting it to the launcher.exe, need to find out the correct .exe and try on there.

Just started up sysinternals process explorer. Launcher.exe doesn't appear to launch any other executables when it is executed.

Wynthorpe
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks DrPepper! Thats a bit of a bugger, wonder why AA will not allow to be forced no matter what i use :(

666th_Lange
04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Yup, same here. NVCP does not have access to the game.exe, that's for sure. Shame because it would top-up Image Quality a lot and may give a lot smoother play. The ingame AA is shit.

DarthElvis
04-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Anyone with an ATI 5xxx or 6xxx ? How does MFAA (Morphological AA) look with this game? It was made for just such an occasion, works great for me on BFBC2. Performance hit is not that much, pretty much unnoticeable actually. Unfortunately, I have to wait until 19 April to find out myself. That is if the state of the game is better than now.

I think Nvidia is supposed to have the same thing, or they will very shortly.

MD_Titus
04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
right, odd one - i can't set any AA in game, at all. as in the box just has "off" when i try to fiddle with it.

running xp 32 bit, 4gig ram in the box, gtx 280 with latest drivers. not expecting great performance with this of course, but seems odd that AA is disabled for me?

Dano
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
AA works fine here, though it doesn't appear to have any effect on the cables such as between tail and fuselage, Nvidia 8800 GTS, cannot remember which drivers at the moment but it does work.

TonyD
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Anyone with an ATI 5xxx or 6xxx ? How does MFAA (Morphological AA) look with this game? It was made for just such an occasion, works great for me on BFBC2. Performance hit is not that much, pretty much unnoticeable actually. Unfortunately, I have to wait until 19 April to find out myself. That is if the state of the game is better than now.

I think Nvidia is supposed to have the same thing, or they will very shortly.

Nope, haven't noticed any difference no matter what I've set - in game, in CCC, Morphological on or off ... I also understood that it was developed specifically for such instances (from AMD's description), but apparently has no affect in CoD.

This should be fixed in future, though. *hopes*

Wynthorpe
04-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Will be a sad day if its not! CoD looks shite beacuse of it, so much potential to look nice spoiled at the minute by jaggies.

JumpingHubert
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
There are two conclusions this threat isn´t well populated:
-only a couple of users have trouble with aa
-only a couple of users noticed the broken aa.

In both cases it possibly will not be adressed as a bug...

sorry for my crappy english :)

FZG_Immel
04-06-2011, 09:41 PM

bull effin' shit !

AA isnt working in the game.. I've tried all combination, and I obtained nothing satisfactory..

when you look at a nearly horizontal line, fuselage or wing, it will be horribly aliased, and it MUST be fixed for the game not to look like crap in 2011.

JumpingHubert
04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
@immel
thats true, there is no AA on ground and roughly 20% AAx2 on planes. But if every nonsense thread is more populated than this one the chance it will be adressed as a bug is low. Do you understand my posting now;)

FZG_Immel
04-06-2011, 11:09 PM
got it ;)

MD_Titus
04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
So... What's the conf.ini line that determines AA setting?

Wynthorpe
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
MSAA i think! But its not linear in the fact you want 8X AA you put 8 next to it, infact i think 8X AA equates to the number 4 lol. But the point is it cannot be foreced from NVCP CCC or Nvidia Inpsector.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
But the point is it cannot be foreced from NVCP CCC or Nvidia Inpsector.

And Luthier shows why in this (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=255779#post255779) post, namely:

1. The no-full-screen issue is actually a WIP feature. Until today, CoD only supported a pseudo full screen mode, i.e. a stretched window with no borders. Post-patch we'll have three modes: window, pseudo full screen, and true full screen. We just don't have a GUI switch for it yet, and it can't set it right.
This will be addressed in the live version of the patch.

I was right! The issue with the taskbar still showing at start, the game not having "focus", it's because it's not really Full Screen, thus the CCC/NVCP/Inspector is not triggered. Once the fullscreen is fixed we may be able to force AA and AF!

JumpingHubert
04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
I hope this theory is true :)

666th_Lange
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
As far as i can see it isn't...:(

JumpingHubert
04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
no one else seems to have broken/reduced aa.

Dr_Watson
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Rubbish, like me, there are many people with the same problem not posting in the threads. I know inspector inside out, have solved many AA issues with many games, most of them from steam. I have tried but can`t get COD working. I have a 2600k at 4.6ghz and a 480Gtx, frames are terrible, stutters are worse. It behaves like FSX does without any AA optimization. I have a feeling that if I can get the AA working, the game will run much smoother, as is often the case.

I can say I am pretty shocked at the state the game was released in. Considering one of the games selling points is the graphics, I don`t understand how it was released before it was finished. I thought FSX was bad, but this is a new level of frustration.

JumpingHubert
04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
you´r right, maybe many unreported cases and you´r wrong because that doesn´t help, for the developers only the reported cases counts.

ParaB
04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
If I'd report every bug I've stumbled upon in this game I'd spent more time writing here than playing the game.

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-12-2011, 06:06 AM
its obvious it doesnt work.if you dont see that then you should have gone to Specsavers:)

Killerwatt
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I too only have the off option for in game AA.
Specs:
Antec Nine Hundred Two Case,
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB,
Akasa PowerMax 850W Power supply,
Asus P6T Motherboard LGA1 366 Intel X58 ATX RAID SA,
Intel Core i7-920 D0 Step Processor (8M Cache),
Corsair XMS3 3GB (3x1024M B) DDR3 Memory 1600MHz,
Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler SE1366,
LG GH22NP20 22x DVDRW/ RAM,
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB Hard Disk Drive 72 (Two),
Windows XP Home Edition. updated to SP3
No overclocking done and everything running at stock speeds

seaeye
04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
AA not working here either. Is this something that is likely to be addressed by the developers?

skouras
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi guys
glad i'm not the only one:grin:

FZG_Immel
04-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Must be fixed

JumpingHubert
04-27-2011, 08:58 PM
still doesn´t work with second beta from 27.4.