PDA

View Full Version : Dual Cards

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi Luthier a few days ago you made this post below stating that the Epilepsy Filter was killing SLI support, reports from people who have the game and are running an SLI setup and have also removed the Filter suggest that your SLI statement is incorrect, they still cannot get it to work. Could you advise what to do from here to get the full potential out of a dual card setup.

your statement:-

I want to confirm that everything said here is true, we have implemented some drastic features for anti-epilepsy protection which are affecting FPS and killing SLI support.We CANNOT make these optional. That will allow an opportunistic or an unfortunate person suffering from epilepsy to sue Ubisoft for damages and literally close down the studio for good.

This was a stop-gap measure to make sure the game gets released. As I explained in the clumsily-translated Russian article, everything in our game causes seizures - gunfire, explosions, fire, sun passing behind canopy framework, etc. Basically flight sims are an epileptic's nightmare.

We'll work to improve the framerate and perhaps address individual issues individually as opposed to applying a single rough post-effect filter, but it is basically a very sad situation. Something completely unrelated and unexpected came to our sim with a giant axe and whacked at it at the last moment. We just didn't have time to properly address it.

svanen
03-29-2011, 11:06 PM
For me I never saw any difference with filter on or off. I really hope that it did not work and that the real solution we will get on thursday.

Chivas
03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Luthier a few days ago you made this post below stating that the Epilepsy Filter was killing SLI support, reports from people who have the game and are running an SLI setup and have also removed the Filter suggest that your SLI statement is incorrect, they still cannot get it to work. Could you advise what to do from here to get the full potential out of a dual card setup.

your statement:-

I'm not expert, but doesn't Intel and Amd have to provide SLI/CF support for games in the their drivers. I know the gpu manufactures do this for other titles. Hopefully they will for this small genre.

*Buzzsaw*
03-29-2011, 11:31 PM

They are working on optimizing the game, the patch hasn't been released, and you need to get up from where you are hunched over your computer and untwist those pretty little lace knickers of yours.

Nanuk
03-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey Tree,

Im sure at some stage you'll be able to use CLOD in SLI, might not be straight away though. Bit of patience young man.

Also, if you're gonna show off your specs, at least edit it to show you have an i7 and you've overclocked it not clooked it! ;) Other epeen hardware junkies wont be impressed!

Tree_UK
03-30-2011, 07:08 AM
They are working on optimizing the game, the patch hasn't been released, and you need to get up from where you are hunched over your computer and untwist those pretty little lace knickers of yours.

I bet you love the thought of men wearing tight lacy knickers dont you buzzsaw eh?? Anyway, lets get back on track and away from your fantasies....

Luthier clearly believes that the Epilepsy Filter is responsible for disabling SLI, see his statement above, If no-one points it out that disabling the filter does nothing for SLI then how can they patch something they believe to be resolved, Doh!! Come on Buzzsaw stay focused son!

Kankkis
03-30-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm bit a worried too, i have very fast card, ATI 5970, it is one card with 2 GPU's so basically it is same thing than Crossfire.

Kankkis

Tree_UK
03-30-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm not expert, but doesn't Intel and Amd have to provide SLI/CF support for games in the their drivers. I know the gpu manufactures do this for other titles. Hopefully they will for this small genre.

Again, given Luthiers SLI statement it would suggest that they have had SLI working/testing to know that the filter would disable it, the only other alternative is that Luthier used the filter as a scapegoat for the lack of SLI support.

Chivas
03-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Again, given Luthiers SLI statement it would suggest that they have had SLI working/testing to know that the filter would disable it, the only other alternative is that Luthier used the filter as a scapegoat for the lack of SLI support.

There's always a conspiracy with you isn't there. Maybe whatever performance gain there was with SLI was negated by the epilepsy filter. For SLI to work well I think you need Nvidia to support the game with their drivers. Since Nvidia knows about IL-2 Cliffs of Dover they might provide specific support in future drivers.

Tiger27
03-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Didn't he or someone to do with CoD mention that they haven't fully met the criteria for this yet, can't recall which forum I read it on?

JG52Krupi
03-30-2011, 07:38 AM

Yet again tree you are jumping to conclusions, perhaps the method at which the filter was applied has messed up the sli/xfire, so just hold your horses and at least wait for the first patch.

Myself and anybody that has a 5970, 6990 or a 590 are in a far worse predicament than someone like yourself, at least you can turn off your sli.

Also there is a thread for bugs so there is no need to create a new thread, stop throwing your toys out the pram.

P.s. If on Friday I do have a problem I will be starting my own whine thread.

Tree_UK
03-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Yet again tree you are jumping to conclusions, perhaps the method at which the filter was applied has messed up the sli/xfire, so just hold your horses and at least wait for the first patch.

Myself and anybody that has a 5970, 6990 or a 590 are in a far worse predicament than someone like yourself, at least you can turn off your sli.

Also there is a thread for bugs so there is no need to create a new thread, stop throwing your toys out the pram.

P.s. If on Friday I do have a problem I will be starting my own whine thread.

No toys or conspiracy, I am merely asking the questions. :grin:

jimbop
03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Any SLI performance increase will also depend on whether the game is CPU- or GPU-bound from what I understand.

I'll upgrade but not sure yet whether it will be a new CPU or another GTX480 - just have to wait for a patch or two to get the real picture (no pun intended...) but that's no problem.

Talbot
03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Any SLI performance increase will also depend on whether the game is CPU- or GPU-bound from what I understand.

I'll upgrade but not sure yet whether it will be a new CPU or another GTX480 - just have to wait for a patch or two to get the real picture (no pun intended...) but that's no problem.

No new CPU,new GPU, it's GPU game.

jimbop
03-30-2011, 09:08 AM
No new CPU,new GPU, it's GPU game.

Thanks - how do you know though?

Flanker35M
03-30-2011, 09:10 AM
S!

At least for AMD it would possibly require a profile to get XFire working at best performance in a title thus they release Application Profiles. Now there is the feedback channel to AMD driver team if you use XFire in Cliffs and get low performance. They did sort out IL-2 issues via that ;)

Also considerwith the patches that have been talked about so there might be light at the end of the tunnel :) Cliffs is the first title ever I have considered to be worth CrossFire, if it works and gives me a gain in performance.

Talbot
03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Yesterday I tested.

jimbop
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Yesterday I tested.

What are your system specs?

jimbop
03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
At least for AMD it would possibly require a profile to get XFire working at best performance in a title thus they release Application Profiles.

Yes, Nvidia do the same for SLI but you can also make your own application profiles. It is tedious to optimise, though.

Also considerwith the patches that have been talked about so there might be light at the end of the tunnel :) Cliffs is the first title ever I have considered to be worth CrossFire, if it works and gives me a gain in performance.

+1, certainly light at the end of the tunnel.

Speedingbullets
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Seeing as this on the top of the board, where did you get the idea for your concern over SLI support Tree UK? After all the possible problems that you`ve raised, and you did`nt think of this one till now.
Too bad someone else already raised it but in a completely different manner and intention.
And what have you achieved? Where are the results?

jimbop
03-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Seeing as this on the top of the board, where did you get the idea for your concern over SLI support Tree UK? After all the possible problems that you`ve raised, and you did`nt think of this one till now.
Too bad someone else already raised it but in a completely different manner and intention.
And what have you achieved? Where are the results?

What was the point of that?

SLI support is a valid question. Dual-GPU card support is an even more valid question since this is the future of video cards.

Komrad
03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
What was the point of that?

SLI support is a valid question. Dual-GPU card support is an even more valid question since this is the future of video cards.

@ Speedingbullets. If the developers, or UBI for that matter kept there user base informed instead of treating them like mushroooms there would be no need for these questions would there.

Bryan.

jimbop
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
@ Speedingbullets. If the developers, or UBI for that matter kept there user base informed instead of treating them like mushroooms there would be no need for these questions would there.

Bryan.

I would prefer more communication, too. However, the devs have told us that they are working on a performance patch which is due within a couple of days. Frankly, I'd prefer they were working on that right now!

Speedingbullets
03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes it is a valid question. I already asked it myself.
As I mentioned before, it`s the way he went about it.
Tree UK already has a limited answer on another post he created reguarding the same issue.
This post by Tree is`nt aimed at any of us anyway.

maclean525
03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
When you code an application SLI/crossfire doesn't "just work". You have to specifically use the right API's in the proper way to enable scaling. If this hasn't been done (which I don't think it has) crossfire/SLI will not work. When I say will not work what I mean is that when you enable it you will see no performance increase and often a performance decrease (due to the extra overhead of the additional card) I would expect once the initial madness has died down we'll see a patch later which adds support. You often see development teams with home-grown graphics engines have this problem. That's why when folks run crossfire/SLI benchmarks they use the well known engines to test (frostbite, ego etc.) The reason is literally thousands of hours have been spent optimizing the engines to work well with crossfire/SLI.

Targ
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
4870X2 owner.

I can confirm that not only does SLI not work but the game acts like a 2D application and the GPU clocks will not ramp up to 3D clocks.

I can force once GPU to run at full clock speed and it almost doubles my FPS so SLI would be nice.

I tested over a dozen games and only cliffs of Dover has this issue.

Ctrl E
03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Does crossfire really not work in this game?

tanker 21
03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
That is sad news . I own a 4870x2 aswell ,and as i have just bought a 2500k @ 4.6 and 8gb of ram i cannot aford a new gpu at the moment .
Waiting a month or so, will in the long run probabbly be a good idea with all the preformance issues .. so no big drama :cry:

kendo65
03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Speeding Bullets - to be fair to Tree on this one, he has been asking this since long before the game was released.

Targ
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
That is sad news . I own a 4870x2 aswell ,and as i have just bought a 2500k @ 4.6 and 8gb of ram i cannot aford a new gpu at the moment .
Waiting a month or so, will in the long run probabbly be a good idea with all the preformance issues .. so no big drama :cry:

Forcing the max clocks will get you low to mid 20's over land right now so don't worry to much.

What drivers do you use?

I use the 10.8 hot fix drivers. Anything past those gets you worse performance on the 4870X2.
Lot's of people use the 10.4 or 10.5a drivers and wont use anything else but since we need

10.6 or higher for IL2 the 10.8 hot fix was nice as it was released just for 4870x2 cards :)

Zoom2136
03-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Bryan.

So you are hoping for a 24/7 discussion with Oleg and team... Because anything less would more certainly be unacceptable for people here...

So Oleg please stop working on patches. We want answers ;)

Nike-it
03-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Guys, the dev team is working on this problem and when the proper result is achieved it will be immediately posted here. Before that please stop different rumours and complains.