PDA

View Full Version : Steam Download question

geoffw
03-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi

I am in the UK and have preordered via steam.

Just wondering if it is worth me booking Thursday off work to play this game ?
I am concerned that it will take me till the following thursday to download once we all start hammering the Steam servers with a multi-gigabyte download. :grin:

Do they allow partial downloading before the release time to try and lessen the Server load ?

Regards Geoff

BadByte
03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
My steam says it will unlock at Tuesday @ 19:00 :(:(:( (if the unlock eta is valid). So no need to skip a workday.

burlaff
03-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I've pre-ordered from steam also, but on my library it simply says 'IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Pre-Order is coming soon', no release/unlock date or game icon. It doesn't look right some how, is there something I've done wrong?

JG52Krupi
03-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Odd mine says 1 day 20 hours, so for me I could download it from 6pm.

However they don't always get released as soon as the clock stops and then you have to download it, doesn't make much sense to take a day off work if you ask me.

kingpinda
03-29-2011, 08:55 PM
My steam says it will unlock at Tuesday @ 19:00 :(:(:( (if the unlock eta is valid). So no need to skip a workday.

I take it you mean thursday. Yeah mine will unlock at the same time it seems. just under 2 days now :/

I've pre-ordered from steam also, but on my library it simply says 'IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Pre-Order is coming soon', no release/unlock date or game icon. It doesn't look right some how, is there something I've done wrong?

True in my library it states the same.
Go to store and search for il-2 then go to the store page of cliffs of dover. There it will say unlock in blablabla

burlaff
03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Ok thanks I just thought it looked a bit strange

BadByte
03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I take it you mean thursday. Yeah mine will unlock at the same time it seems. just under 2 days now :/

D'oh! yes thursday... too late to blame world+dog for the typo? :P.

Blakduk
03-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I've just checked my Steam account- it used to say CoD would be released on 'March 31st', now it has been changed to 'coming soon'.
I'm in Australia, i'm not sure if Steam do staggered releases around the world.

sod16
03-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Mine says coming soon, however steam says "this much time" on the main selling page which counts to 7pm british time.

The timer says "Available: 31 March 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 19 hours"

My good guess would either be 12am or some time in the morning when XBOX live does updates for the UK which is around 10am.

SsSsSsSsSnake
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM

just checked and it says 1day 19 hours

Kikuchiyo
03-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Mine says coming soon, however steam says "this much time" on the main selling page which counts to 7pm british time.

The timer says "Available: 31 March 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 19 hours"

My good guess would either be 12am or some time in the morning when XBOX live does updates for the UK which is around 10am.

Steam does releases and updates at either 17:00(typical for client updates) or 10:00(patches and releases) US Pacific time. Typically, read as unless there is a problem, the downloads start more or less immediately, so if it works as intended then when you wake up Friday the game should be downloaded. If you have a physical copy and just need to unlock the game that should be available to do at 0:01 on 3/31.

sod16
03-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Steam does releases and updates at either 17:00(typical for client updates) or 10:00(patches and releases) US Pacific time. Typically, read as unless there is a problem, the downloads start more or less immediately, so if it works as intended then when you wake up Friday the game should be downloaded. If you have a physical copy and just need to unlock the game that should be available to do at 0:01 on 3/31.

Either way that does not add up to friday :confused: The USA is 5/7 hours behind the uk. That means we will get it at around 3/5pm on thursday.

ATAG_Dutch
03-29-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm now actually losing sleep, swapping between forums, inboxes, 'findmylostorder', back to forums, another forum, back to emails.

I really should get a bloody life. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Did someone just update a thread at ubi? Better have a quick look................

_RAAF_Smouch
03-29-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm now actually losing sleep, swapping between forums, inboxes, 'findmylostorder', back to forums, another forum, back to emails.

Did someone just update a thread at ubi? Better have a quick look................
http://www.mission4today.com/images/smiles/57885523-M.gifhttp://www.mission4today.com/images/smiles/3_9_3.gif

sod16
03-29-2011, 11:27 PM

spot on

Purg
03-30-2011, 12:37 AM
I've just checked my Steam account- it used to say CoD would be released on 'March 31st', now it has been changed to 'coming soon'.
I'm in Australia, i'm not sure if Steam do staggered releases around the world.

I'm in Sydney; mine says...

Available: 1 April 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 17 hours

Ploughman
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Took me, on a lame connection that oscillated between about 170 and 580kb/s about 2.5 hours to download the approximately 4gb of the game download. It then took me a day and a half to fiddle and fek with the settings to get the thing to work adequatley. Assuming some fixes will be in place you will spend less time fiddling and fekking but don't expect to be enjoying the game within the first, oh I don't know, 24 hours?

PeanutJelly
03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
wait wait wait.... US release is April 19th on steam and 26th for some other US sites... How are you USA people getting it Thursday?

Athosd
03-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Steam is huge - I doubt you'll get less than your normal bandwidth from them once Il2:CoD is released. However as pointed out by Ploughman, it will take some time to 'fit out' your new install - might be best to save that day off until you've got it all in order.

hc_wolf
03-30-2011, 03:29 AM
First time posting. Been reading this forum for 5 years. Not here to complain. Just letting you know my rig and current FPS I am getting in game.

OK so I am in Melbourne Australia. Installed the Collector edition last night (cool cloth map). Key would not recognise with Steam. Logged in this morning and it works.. Fewww Awesome.. AAAA NO!

Known issues:

SLI not working. You will get black menu's and the game runs like a dog. So if you have SLI on turn it off and that fixes the black menu issues. Say bye bye to full graphics.

In Game I am sad to say (until epilepsy filter is removed and SLI works and CPU use is better managed I can not play)

On low graphics (what's the point) I get 30FPS and lots of Stutter and this is over the water only. 8-14 fps over land.

Not complaining.. I know patches and fixes are on the way. But here are my specs so you know what to expect. I can not run this game on any settings above low.

I run Arma2 on full graphics settings in SLI and that is a demanding game and get 45fps @ 1980x1080

Not running in sli I see 1 core been used at 70-90% the other 3 cores minimal below 10%.
GPU1 used at 80-95% when not run in SLi. GPU2 not used at all as sli turned off.

Below is giving me 8-14fps over land and 14-30fps over water on low to medium settings

Win64 7 ultimate Professional
Panasonic 42' LCD @ native 1980x1080
Q6600 oc to 4.0ghz - fan air cooled
8gig ddr3 OCZ ram
780i EVGA MB
128 OCZ SSD
2x 285GTX SLI

Bring on the patching! Love your work Oleg and Team. Look forward to the patching. may it be swift.

If anyone has any clues as to why game is so slow even on q6600 let me know. I am wanting to upgrade this weekend if patches help but have not seen any high end posts yet.

SsSsSsSsSnake
03-30-2011, 06:39 AM
wait wait wait.... US release is April 19th on steam and 26th for some other US sites... How are you USA people getting it Thursday?

thats what i thought too :)

jimbop
03-30-2011, 06:47 AM

+1 same here...

Kudlius
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
I downloaded it in 2 hours.

MaDMaX68
03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
my new PC does not arrive until monday the 4th april, so i can wait:grin: