PDA

View Full Version : Cant wait for patch? Tips for a good blast!

BobTuck
03-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Got CloD and itching to fly prior to patch release? :rolleyes:

I've heard that you can optimise your experience by turning off roads and woods/trees (which I haven't done yet). What I found helped in a big way was turning off the clouds!

I've been having a fast, fluid blast in 6x6 dogfights over the sea! :grin:

So, in summary:

Avoid towns/cities, best of all, fight over the channel avoid flying against bombers, especially numerous amounts TURN OFF CLOUDS! try reducing overall number of aircraft, perhaps to 3 against 3
Avoid campaign missions and training missions - just use instant flight missions

If you have any other performance boosting tips, please mention them in this thread.

BobTuck.

deadsmell
03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Hello,

can you perhaps guide me to a quick mission that starts over water? (I dont speak russian, im just doing the best I can using the english menu screenshots as a reference)

I keep starting over land.

Maybe if i started over water id get at least 1fps.

Also, when in the video options, can anyone verify that the lowest settings are in fact at the top of the drop down menu/list, as opposed to being on the bottom?

JG52Uther
03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Turn off clickable cockpit F10

Drop screen resolution.I went from 1680 x 1050 to 1440 x 900

Try the Hurri Vs G50 mission,thats over water

deadsmell
03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Where do I find the single missions? lol.

Edit: nevermind, I THINK ive found em, but they wont even load...

BobTuck
03-29-2011, 08:27 PM
First screen goes something like this (take top option):

Singleplayer Multiplayer Options/Setup Records Exit

Second screen is like this (take second option):

Training Instant Flight Missions Campaign Exit/Back

third screen is quick flight builder (channel flying is marked ch):

Free Flight - Channel (ch) Free Flight - England Free Flight - France Free Flight - London Free Flight - Cross Country Dogfight - Even (ch) Dogfight - Even - Low Level (ch) Dogfight - Advantage Axis (ch) Dogfight - Advantage Allies (ch) Bomber Intercept - Channel (ch) Bomber Intercept - Channel - Low Level (ch) Bomber Intercept - Hawkinge Bomber Intercept - London Bomber Intercept - Calais Frei Jagd - (over Hawkinge area) Aerial Battle - Dover Aerial Battle - Calais Airfield Attack - Manston

Double left click on aircraft pics to change type
Adjust number of aircraft in flight by changing number above pic
Click pilot image above pic to fly in that flight

Hope that helps!
BobTuck.

deadsmell
03-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Thank You Bob!

It does help very much!

Over the water makes a humongous difference.

baronWastelan
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
SOW* lives!

*Stay Over Water

:D

BobTuck
03-29-2011, 09:59 PM
SOW* lives!

*Stay Over Water

:D

LOL, very good! :o :grin: :lol:

BobTuck.

JG14_Jagr
03-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know of any flight sims that use the tree generator COD is using. I've always heard it was a very big performance hog. IIRC DCS dropped it for A10C because it was so fps intensive

Cowboy10uk
03-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Turn off Grass, and low building detail , Gave me a hugh fps boost over land. made it go from stuttering central, to Smooth and easy :)

Kankkis
03-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Me too, buildings options to min and grass off.

SEE
04-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Been having a hoot on my low end PC. Agree, dogfights over water are good and apart from buildings, grass, etc still flyable on medium. (1280 x 768 res)

The 'strapped in' FOV with headracking (Shift F1) is a bit odd though and being 'unstrapped' doesn't really have much of a disadvantage but gives you all axis to move in. Enjoying the Spitty and the Hurricane but noticed the Merlins do not choke/stall quite so abruptly as in 4.101 under neg G with CEM enabled

Find it far more difficult to spot enemy at distance and need to study the weapons load outs as I am emptying my magazines at 200m with far less damage inflicted compared to Il1946. All in all I think it will be great (but a lot of reading, flying and practice to do before I try this in MP).

TheEditor
04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
So to some it all up turn it all off and play a game so jacked up that your better off reinstalling the old IL2. I hope you guys are reading your own posts, I thought you guys were being sarcastic. I'm glad its not been released in the usa. Just release it in a year when your done making the game.

BobTuck
04-01-2011, 01:11 AM
So to some it all up turn it all off and play a game so jacked up that your better off reinstalling the old IL2.

Not at all. It's just about prioritisation (which would need to be done anyway because the sim is so future proofed). I have the most important things on as maximum, i.e. aircraft detail, damage effects, visual effects, buildings amount, shadows, and of course this is not including the FM, DM and other vastly improved things.

To say you're better off installing IL2 is just being overly pessimistic, and ignorant of the good things on offer.

BobTuck.

TheEditor
04-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Not at all. It's just about prioritisation (which would need to be done anyway because the sim is so future proofed). I have the most important things on as maximum, i.e. aircraft detail, damage effects, visual effects, buildings amount, shadows, and of course this is not including the FM, DM and other vastly improved things.

To say you're better off installing IL2 is just being overly pessimistic, and ignorant of the good things on offer.

BobTuck.

Sorry, I most be swad by my English friend who is giving me the frame by frame account of how buggy and poor preforming the game really is. I guess maybe my point should be that the game should not have been released in this state and stop trying to dress up a turd...In its current state anyways.

BobTuck
04-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Well, on my mediocre rig I just got 40 fps+ consistently in a squadron attack mission against 9 stukas who were bombing a coastal target. In fact it only dropped below that when I came in to land.

I am quite happy that this is playable, even at this early stage of release.

My rig is a quad core2 Q6600 (2.4GH) with 4MB system RAM, using a 64bit windows 7 OS, so not cutting edge anymore to say the least.

BobTuck.

TheEditor
04-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Well, on my mediocre rig I just got 40 fps+ consistently in a squadron attack mission against 9 stukas who were bombing a coastal target. In fact it only dropped below that when I came in to land.

I am quite happy that this is playable, even at this early stage of release.

My rig is a quad core2 Q6600 (2.4GH) with 4MB system RAM, using a 64bit windows 7 OS, so not cutting edge anymore to say the least.

BobTuck.

I hope not 4MB of RAM...LOL.

DCS A-10c was released as a beta and I just think Maddox's should have done the same. I know that doesn't change the state of the game but it at least tells the customer that this game is not near finished.

How much euros did people pay for this product? Is it more then $49.99?

Defender
04-01-2011, 02:56 AM

DCS A-10c was released as a beta and I just think Maddox's should have done the same. I know that doesn't change the state of the game but it at least tells the customer that this game is not near finished.

How much euros did people pay for this product? Is it more then $49.99?

That would be an idea for next time perhaps. Pre-order and with it you get a beta copy of the sim.

That said, it seems many people with low to medium systems are achieving their desired FPS with a whole lot of customization. A-10C had large differences in frame rates between the beta's and final release, so once this product gets optimized it should really move. From the video's i've seen, the sensation of flight is unlike anything I've seen in a sim, the atmosphere is also great. I actually want to freeflight where most combat sims I need to ack ack something.

Once the global release is complete, I think we'll see some expedited progress. As long as support continues, I will be happy. I don't mind buying something now to shelve it for a little while, or to help bug squash improving the return on my investment.

$50...people with 2+ years in Area 51 over on Fighter Ops forums have spent more than that. That project is going on 6 years now as well. (no ill will toward FO by the way, just saying).

:cool:

TheEditor
04-01-2011, 04:28 AM
As long as the support from the dev team is there, then I'll be cool and hand them may $50. Hope one thing on the list is a 64bit .exe

BobTuck
04-01-2011, 08:54 AM

Oops, yeah.

4GB! :oops:

I must add that I have tweaked the sim using custom ini settings, so as Defender says, once the devs have optimised some more, I reckon this sim will really move well at high settings.

BobTuck.

SEE
04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Its worth getting in beta form if you prefer high realism settings. The new CEM with independent heat management is a lot tougher as is precision gunnery.

I accept that some peeps will not be too impressed straight out of the box, especially the less computer savvy or arcade level players. Everyone has a right to an opinion - I have a low end system and don't regret buying.

easytarget3
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Well i dont regret it, just its sad, i have middle range system, and even above water with low res and no clouds still very low fps/ very hard to control the plane in 10-15 frames per sec,is this why i bought brand new game?why they wrote in recommended specs complete b...s...?:P

Winger
04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Well i dont regret it, just its sad, i have middle range system, and even above water with low res and no clouds still very low fps/ very hard to control the plane in 10-15 frames per sec,is this why i bought brand new game?why they wrote in recommended specs complete b...s...?:P

Easy - Easy:P Tell me one game that runs really good with recommended specs. I know fluid gameplay is somewhat subjective but as fas as i am concerned system specs are nothing more than marketing utilities to generate sales. You are, in that case, far better off with using your "common sense".

Winger

easytarget3
04-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Easy - Easy:P Tell me one game that runs really good with recommended specs. I know fluid gameplay is somewhat subjective but as fas as i am concerned system specs are nothing more than marketing utilities to generate sales. You are, in that case, far better off with using your "common sense".

Winger
i know, thats why i take recommended as a minimum in my common sense, but still i cant play even i turn everything down which shouldnt be the point, right?;)