PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the mid-low end.......

deadsmell
03-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Ok guys, I just figured id share my experience so far with a bit more modest system than most of the other posts I have seen.

I have:
Core 2 duo @ 3.0Ghz
2Gb Ram
Hd4870 512

The game is completely frozen.

No stutters, no slide show, just complete freeze.

Ive dropped the Rez to its lowest setting in windowed mode and it still doesnt respond.

I added the antiepilepcy line in the config as well.

I know that my system just meets the low end of the spectrum in regard to system specs, but the performance is completely unplayable for me.

Anyway hopefully it improves.

Also I thought it would be good to have a place for those of us that dont have the latest and greatest hardware to have a place where we can share tips and pointers and stuff, if there even is anything we can do to get it running better.

MadBlaster
03-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Have you tried any of this in the config.ini?

1) reduce sound settings to minimum. See [sound] section. Much of this section identical to old IL=2. Turn off the radiochatter, reduce channels...etc.

2) force to run on both cores by setting processaffinitymask=3. make sure the semicolon in front is removed or it will be ignored.

3) lower dynamiclights=0, read this had good results on SimHQ forum.

4) lower other settings (e.g., water=0, effects=0, roads=0, landgeom=2 or less...etc.)

5)also could check your graphics card GUI and for now make the settings as high performance/flexible as possible to get the game to run, then adust the up later.

6) I also wonder about texture compression. If there is a setting for this or not? I don't know. In your case, you would want it on to free up some RAM.

ps - i don't have the game yet. but my system is mid-low too. so a little worried:(

JG52Uther
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I think the biggest problem is the ram.If you could get it up to 4 GB it might help a lot.

deadsmell
03-29-2011, 09:11 PM
update,

Ok, well, I got it to run in windowed all of a sudden. Wouldnt work before, but now it seems to be.

Oh yeah, I had the settings maxed out by mistake, (i thought they were low settings lol)

Still really choppy over land, but over the water it was very smooth. Even at the lowest settings, the water looks pretty amazing, and il-2 cliffs of dover will definitely be one heck of a game.

However I dont have sound anymore! lol. (Edit: Sound has miraculously returned, although the guns sound so bad you dont want to hear them lol)

aaarrrggghh!

Ill keep messing with it and report back any tips I can come up with.

For the record, the low settings are at the bottom of the drop down list in the video options menu.

Thanks for the tips, processaffinitymask=3 doesnt seem to be utilizing both cores, it still uses just one though. Ill keep experimenting.

windowed mode at lowest settings it seems to be using between 1.44 and 1.88 of my ram.

Chivas
03-29-2011, 10:25 PM
update,

Ok, well, I got it to run in windowed all of a sudden. Wouldnt work before, but now it seems to be.

Oh yeah, I had the settings maxed out by mistake, (i thought they were low settings lol)

Still really choppy over land, but over the water it was very smooth. Even at the lowest settings, the water looks pretty amazing, and il-2 cliffs of dover will definitely be one heck of a game.

However I dont have sound anymore! lol. (Edit: Sound has miraculously returned, although the guns sound so bad you dont want to hear them lol)

aaarrrggghh!

Ill keep messing with it and report back any tips I can come up with.

For the record, the low settings are at the bottom of the drop down list in the video options menu.

Thanks for the tips, processaffinitymask=3 doesnt seem to be utilizing both cores, it still uses just one though. Ill keep experimenting.

windowed mode at lowest settings it seems to be using between 1.44 and 1.88 of my ram.

Like Uther said you definitely need another gig of ram. 2 gigs is not enough.

Ploughman
03-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I was initially horrified but after some tweaking with my quite tepid system it runs pretty well (over water) and it's clear that CloD's potentially an order of magnitude better than any other combat flight sim. Our North American friends, who are having to sit out the next three or four weeks, will find a much more polished and playable product in their mail boxes I hope, and within a couple of months I don't doubt the sim'll be significantly kinder to all our systems than is currently the case.

Tiger27
03-30-2011, 02:01 AM
I think the biggest problem is the ram.If you could get it up to 4 GB it might help a lot.

Even 3gb as it apparently uses just under 3gb, although the extra 1gb would be good for the OS etc.

Also mirrors off is supposed to help.

Flying_Nutcase
03-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Thanks for posting your results. I have a low end system too, but as long as I can go 1 on 1 over water for now, I'll be as happy as.

Kankkis
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
That why you got a picture in windowed mode is when you start a game in windowed mode, SLI is not working then, I have Ati 5970(1 card) 2 GPU's crossfire card, if there is problems and i start Windowed mode, it only use 1 GPU then, so crossfire is disabled all games in Windowed mode.

Kankkis