PDA

View Full Version : Which of my computers to run CoD?

thnp
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Hello Guys and Gals!

Got CoD on preorder and currently enjoying old "Sturmovik" immensely in preparation for the new upcoming baby!

I'm wondering if somebody could give me input on which of my two computers will give the best result with CoD?

I'm a "Maccie" and will run CoD under BootCamp and Win7 x64 Ultimate.

computer 1:
iMac 27" (2560x1600)
i7 (old type), 4 cores @ 2,93ghz
16 GB 1333mhz DDR3 RAM
7200 RPM disk
ATI Raedon HD 5750 1GB DDR5

or;

computer 2:
Macbook Pro 15" (with video-output to the 27", so still 2560x1600 res)
i7 Sandy Bridge, 4 cores @ 2,2ghz
8 GB 1333mhz DDR3 RAM
Intel SSD
ATI Raedon HD6750M 1GB DDR5

Any input will be greatly appreciated
THNP

Oldschool61
03-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Hello Guys and Gals!

I'm a "Maccie" and will run CoD under BootCamp and Win7 x64 Ultimate.

You have my condolences...The laptop might have the best chance but with the way you trying to use a mac with win 7 might cripple game performance. Buy a PC and you wont have as many problems.

thnp
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
My PC-days are over and well accounted for :)

I don't understand what you mean by "having so many problems running Win 7 on a Mac", since I so far haven't had a single one! ....

I've run bootcamp since it's introduction many years ago for gaming purposes and to this day it has been behaving exactly like a "normal PC" while running Windows.

Back to the question; you think the Laptop would be the best coice?

Regards,
THNP

swiss
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
THNP

Your simer days too.
lol

That looks like a $2500 Mac Desktop, yet you only get a 5750.

Oldschool61
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Well if your running win 7 on a mac thats basically a PC with over priced components.
ANd yes the laptop might be best suited for running PC software on your PC operating system!!

JG52Krupi
03-29-2011, 03:44 PM

A mac with windows on it!!! Isn't that just a overpriced white PC?

thnp
03-29-2011, 03:55 PM
"Thanks" for the "constructive" feedback.

tintifaxl
03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I think your notebook will run CoD better, but at that resolution you will see a slideshow anyway.

MD_Titus
03-29-2011, 05:27 PM
nice to see the mac v pc stuff rear it's head so quickly. normally i indulge and find it amusing, but that is far from helpful here. oldschool, you seem to have a way with ramming your beliefs down people's throats, judging from your sig. gives atheists and pc owners a bad name really.

anyway, at that resolution it seems that either rig will suffer thnp. is that native res or can you drop it a little? be worth testing on both of them really, you get three activations a month, so you can do that easy enough. overall i'd say the desktop may be more capable of delivering good frames, but probably only in dx10 rather than dx11 mode. could you overclock the processor a bit perhaps? how much difference would that even make?

Oldschool61
03-29-2011, 06:13 PM
nice to see the mac v pc stuff rear it's head so quickly. normally i indulge and find it amusing, but that is far from helpful here. oldschool, you seem to have a way with ramming your beliefs down people's throats, judging from your sig. gives atheists and pc owners a bad name really.

anyway, at that resolution it seems that either rig will suffer thnp. is that native res or can you drop it a little? be worth testing on both of them really, you get three activations a month, so you can do that easy enough. overall i'd say the desktop may be more capable of delivering good frames, but probably only in dx10 rather than dx11 mode. could you overclock the processor a bit perhaps? how much difference would that even make?

Thanks, thats a compliment. ANd I did answer his question. But cant resist when a MAC owner runs PC operating system and software on his uber MAc is great computer. If it was great he wouldnt have to run windows on it get it.

Blackdog_kt
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
MD_Titus:
There's no DX11 mode yet for CoD. Also, we don't get 3 activations per month. We start with 3 and get an additional activation every month to make up for the ones we already used, but the total can't be higher than 3.

So, when i install on my PC i'm left with 2 activations, after a month i'll have 3 again, but one month further down the line i will still have 3 since it's the upper limit.

I hope this makes sense.

As for installing on both the mac and the macbook, it would be no problem. It will just mean using two activations during the first month instead of one, but other than that it will be ok.

Oldschool: True, macs are overpriced and in the current day also very restrictive to the end user in some aspects and that's why i'm not touching them with a 10 foot pole.
They are also mostly used for non-gaming purposes and for some people specialized functionality to enhance productivity in a few select areas is worth the cost, especially if it's got something to do with their line of work and that's what the mac was all about since the 80s.

If you are judging every mac user according to the recent wave of "apple crazy" gadget collectors who just have to have one as a fashion statement (it does come off that way in your post, so disregard this if you meant something else) you're just widely discriminating against the preferences of some people that nobody forces you to share and a "get off your high horse" would be in order.

The way you worded it is similar to saying every flight simmer is a geek wannabe pilot who doesn't have what it takes to be real one and/or sucks donkey balls for not having the money or ability to become one. That is, it's not a very pleasant way to paint everything and everybody with a brush that's a football court wide when you are on the receiving end of such a remark and people judge you without knowing anything meaningful about you ;)

swiss
03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
The way you worded it is similar to saying every flight simmer is a geek wannabe pilot who doesn't have what it takes to be real one and/or sucks donkey balls for not having the money or ability to become one. That is, it's not a very pleasant way to paint everything and everybody with a brush that's a football court wide when you are on the receiving end of such a remark and people judge you without knowing anything meaningful about you ;)

He would still be right though. ;)

MD_Titus
03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Blackdog, thanks for clarifyingon both points.

Thanks, thats a compliment. ANd I did answer his question. But cant resist when a MAC owner runs PC operating system and software on his uber MAc is great computer. If it was great he wouldnt have to run windows on it get it.
Not meant as one. Like I say, you give us a bad name, and are as bigoted as you suppose mac users or theists to be. Where exactly did he say his mac is uber? For a lot of applications they are deemed superior.
He would still be right though. ;)

No, he isn't.

swiss
03-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Where exactly did he say his mac is uber? For a lot of applications they are deemed superior.

Nowhere. I just feel sorry for all the mac users(unless they need it for classic mac applications) - so it's less about the product but more about their customers.

But then again I'm pretty asocial, maybe those rows in front of their shops triggered this reflex.
:cool:

MOG_Rumboy
04-04-2011, 05:17 AM
~S~

Let me know how you go please - I currently use win 7 on my i7 imac for il2 1946when I'm not using it for professional photography uses (let's face it would you use anything else?) - Also have a macbook pro hooked up to a tascam dm4800 for my music I could use.

So in the same boat - let me know how you go and tweaks - CoD should arrive tomorrow for me and it sounds like those of us with Macs (for very good reasons) may need to stick together!

Regards

MOG_Rumboy