PDA

View Full Version : Ram

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Many debates about Ram and how much CLOD use's. In the recent interview at Simhq Oleg stated that updating ram will improve performance if you only have 2GB. Luthier as also stated that there are no issues with ram, so can someone tell me how I will know that all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLOD goodness and not just 2-3GB of it?

Kikuchiyo
03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Many debates about Ram and how much CLOD use's. In the recent interview at Simhq Oleg stated that updating ram will improve performance if you only have 2GB. Luthier as also stated that there are no issues with ram, so can someone tell me how I will know that all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLOD goodness and not just 2-3GB of it?

Luthier has said that the most RAM that Cliffs of Dover will use is ~2.68 GB which is the cache size for a "sector." Essentially there is no need for it to cache more than that.

Warhound
03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLODit?

Which current game DOES use all your 12GB's of ram?
Most new ones I know cap out well below 2gb's

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Luthier has said that the most RAM that Cliffs of Dover will use is ~2.68 GB which is the cache size for a "sector." Essentially there is no need for it to cache more than that.

That doesn't make any sense though, when the game was performing badly at the Russian show they said it was because by some mistake they had got PC's with 2Gb of ram installed not the 4GB. I'm confused now :confused:

meshuggahs
03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
That doesn't make any sense though, when the game was performing badly at the Russian show they said it was because by some mistake they had got PC's with 2Gb of ram installed not the 4GB. I'm confused now :confused:

2gb ram - windows - all the other processes runing in the background = ~1Gb left for CLOD

4gb ram - windows - all the other processes runing in the background = ~3Gb left for CLOD

JG52Krupi
03-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Well it's true that we need more than 2gb as every pic I have seen of the control panel while clod is running shows ~2.5gb in use, so to me it makes sense that for the game to run well at the show a minimum of 3gb of ram would have been required.

OldBuzzard
03-29-2011, 07:59 AM
From what I've seen, it's a 32 bit .exe. That means that it's not going to be able to use as much RAM as a 64 bit. exe. Most of your 12GB will be 'wasted' as far as the game is concerned. Of course it does leave more RAM available for other things like TS, TrackIR, etc.

Why they went with a 32 bit .exe simple amazes me, especially when you consider that both of their recommended MINIMUM spec CPUs are 64 bit processors.. 64 bit processors have been mainstream for so long that it's almost criminal that they didn't go with 64 bit exclusively.

I guess that would have left out those dinosaurs that are still running XP, but that POS OS needs to die anyway.

meshuggahs
03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
I guess that would have left out those dinosaurs that are still running XP, but that POS OS needs to die anyway.

After 10 years of service Win XP is still the most used windows OS. So in no way POS. :)

Why do you think we're still stuck with dx9 as minimum requirement in all games?

pupaxx
03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi everybody,
I suggest you this links
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=43
here you can find an usefull gadget to monitor constantly your computer resources, it is made for Intel family cpu don't know if it works with amd cpu.
This app shows memory, cpu, vcore load and other stuff

here is a GPU observer gadget
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=49
very useful as well.
I use them in 3d modelling application.
Ciao

MadBlaster
03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Anyone tried toggling the MegaTexture setting in the config.ini from 0 (default) to 1? I'm guessing it is some form of texture compression? Save some RAM?

BTW, I think XP uses less RAM then any of them? It's Vista the one that sux.

Tiger27
03-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Your going to need a full 64bit app and operating system for that, otherwise 4gb is about the most that will be used if you have a 64bit OS and as others have mentioned CoD uses less than 3gb.

Sauf
03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Anyone tried toggling the MegaTexture setting in the config.ini from 0 (default) to 1? I'm guessing it is some form of texture compression? Save some RAM?

I read a post @ Simhq I think it was, 2 ppl tried it and it caused the game to crash or not start if I remember correctly.

OldBuzzard
03-29-2011, 09:08 AM
After 10 years of service Win XP is still the most used windows OS. So in no way POS. :)

Why do you think we're still stuck with dx9 as minimum requirement in all games?

Maybe if you include business, but for gamers...Look at these STEAM stats:

WINDOWS VERSION OCT NOV DEC JAN FEB

Windows 7 64 bit 35.04% 35.88% 36.14% 37.30% 39.02% +1.72%

Windows XP 32 bit 27.88% 26.75% 26.26% 24.95% 23.59% -1.36%

Windows Vista 32 bit 14.34% 14.29% 14.27% 14.05% 13.47% -0.58%

Windows Vista 64 bit 9.11% 9.89% 10.23% 10.73% 11.35% +0.62%

Windows 7 12.40% 11.91% 11.79% 11.59% 11.22% -0.37%

Windows XP 64 bit 0.81% 0.84% 0.92% 0.95% 0.95% 0.00%

Windows 2003 64 bit 0.30% 0.33% 0.28% 0.30% 0.29% -0.01%

And, if you look at this page you will see that almost 62% of Steam users are using Dx10 and Dx11 GPUs.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Like I said XP needs to DIE! It's SO 20th Century.

meshuggahs
03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Maybe if you include business, but for gamers...Look at these STEAM stats:
Like I said XP needs to DIE! It's SO 20th Century.

So even on pro-gamer segment its almost 25%! That say's something imho. ;)

Tho overall I blame the consoles that new games are made for old hardware. :(

But yeah, 64bit is among us finally. Maybe we'll see some true 64bit games in the next few years and not just 32bit ones patched to 64, which is +-0 useful.

kingpinda
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
But yeah, 64bit is among us finally. Maybe we'll see some true 64bit games in the next few years and not just 32bit ones patched to 64, which is +-0 useful.

The one I know about is DCS-A10C. When you install it, it will ask if you want to install the 86x file also. So default is 64bit and if you don't have a 64bit platform you can opt for the 32bit version alongside it. Losing offcourse the ability to use all your memory. (if you have heaps)

Because of this particular title naturalpoint needed to conjur up a 64bit version of the trackir software. Being the first (I think) 64bit simulation or game even naturally gave some problems. But the hurdles have already been taken.

Its a whole different concept though. The DCS engine and stuff will be improved with each new addition to the DCS World. In DCS blackshark it was still 32 bit. Now in A-10C its 64 bit with some of the workload of the soundsystem on a different cpu-core and in the future multiple cores will be better supported etc etc. Whereas IL2 cliffs of dover relies on a completed engine I think. I may be wrong. Hopefully they left enough room to further advance the system/engine with new expansions without having to reinvent the wheel.

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but if we are not having a 64bit launcher does that mean no DX11?

kingpinda
03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but if we are not having a 64bit launcher does that mean no DX11?

What i've read so far about DX11 is suggesting it has nothing to do with 64bit.

DX11 is merely an improvement concerning gpgpu support, improved multithreading and shadermodel 5.0 (in a nutshell :p)

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 08:54 PM
What i've read so far about DX11 is suggesting it has nothing to do with 64bit.

DX11 is merely an improvement concerning gpgpu support, improved multithreading and shadermodel 5.0 (in a nutshell :p)

yes but DX11 wont work with windows XP, with the majority of windows 7 users opting for 64bit it would surley make sense to make a 64bit launcher to use all that ram.

JG52Krupi
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
yes but DX wont work with windows XP, with the majority of windows 7 users opting for 64bit it would surley make sense to make a 64bit launcher to use all that ram.

The game does not need more than 2.6GBs of ram to run, what advantage would you gain from increasing the load on the ram...?

Hecke
03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Why not let the game use all the free amount of ram you have?
I guess that would kill some freezes that are due to caching from HDD.

kingpinda
03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
yes but DX wont work with windows XP, with the majority of windows 7 users opting for 64bit it would surley make sense to make a 64bit launcher to use all that ram.

True I would guess but seemingly that doesnt mean you can't use dx11 on a 32 bit platform. But then again i'm a layman on this subject so i could be terribly wrong. I have never read anything about DX11 solely needing a 64bit platform. I mean you WOULD NEED a 64bit platform to even start up a 64bit application offcourse not to mention a 64bit cpu :)

Nowadays 64bit cpu's are mainstream but 64bit platforms are not. I think the gap is still a tad to big. To expect everybody to go OS64bit that is. Its coming no doubt. But will take a while before everybody has jumped over to 64bit.

Hehe I know people who have 6gig ram on their win7 32bit OS :p

Why not let the game use all the free amount of ram you have?
I guess that would kill some freezes that are due to caching from HDD.

Yes that would be worthwhile were it not that the game is as far as i know it 32bit.
I might do a fresh reinstall of windows7 64bit and use my sas 15k drive for windows and il2/DCS A-10C only. I know users who were having problems getting DCS A-10C to work fluently switched over to SSD's.

Lixma
03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
why not let the game use all the free amount of ram you have?
I guess that would kill some freezes that are due to caching from hdd.
+100

furbs
03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
So COD is running with a 32bit exe at the moment, we have no idea if a 64bit exe is on the way or even planned as yet, but oleg had said for a long time that COD would run in DX9,DX10 and DX11.
Now we know that DX11 has been dropped for the time being due to bugs(maybe) and were only having DX10 for a while.
But that still means a 64bit exe had been worked on or at least planned right?

Im just wondering if we never see that 64bit how its going to affect the future proofing of COD, will there be any point of getting more than 4GB RAM, DX11 GPUs etc etc.

jt_medina
03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
The max amount of ram an 32bit app can use is 4.2GB something. I have never seen any game using more than 1.5GB RAM. I remember seeing ROF using that but in average no game I ever played used more than 1GB.(Guess if Crysis 2 uses more than 1GB ram).
I guess if someone had 2 GB there can be problems since OS take some ram.

If Luthier said 2.6GB is the maximum amount of ram used I don't think people with 4GB can have any problem related with the RAM as long as they keep other apps closed and just running the sim and teamspeak.

For those interested on clearing some ram before playing IL2 COD. There is a software called AlacrityPC. I use it everytime I play games and leaves me 3.7GB free of 4.0GB.
http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

Oldschool61
03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
how I will know that all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLOD goodness and not just 2-3GB of it?

Wow 12 Gb of ram. Sounds like someones trying to compensate for something...

Triggaaar
with the majority of windows 7 users opting for 64bit it would surley make sense to make a 64bit launcher to use all that ram.

The game does not need more than 2.6GBs of ram to run, what advantage would you gain from increasing the load on the ram...?Because with a 32 bit exe you'll struggle to even use 2.6 GBs of ram for CoD. 32 bit gives about 3.5 gig of ram. OS uses some of that, and then my graphics card uses 2 gig, which doesn't leave much for CoD.

If the videos we've seen so far are with a 32 bit exe, and we're to get a 64 bit version soon, it should be good.

kingpinda
The max amount of ram an 32bit app can use is 4.2GB something. http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

Actually think its closer to 3.2 gigs. I actually thought you need to add up your graphics card memory to this pool but seemingly you need to SUBTRACT your graphics card memory from the theocritically 4GIG.

So if you have a 1gig graphics card then your system ram on a 32bit system is somewhere around 3Gigs.

Here is a definition I found: 4GB minus the address space required by addin cards and other hardware equals the MAXIMUM addressable RAM.

So... even if a 32 bit application was able to adress 4.2 gigs worth of ram... that ram would have to be adressable. And we all know that graphics cards these days take heaps of addressable space. 1gigs worth is not that uncommon anymore.

If the videos we've seen so far are with a 32 bit exe, and we're to get a 64 bit version soon, it should be good.

Are you certain about this? Please post source/link if you please.

jt_medina
03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
actually think its closer to 3.2 gigs. But windows will add your graphics card ram as well. So if you have 1gig graphic card ram then your available ram will say 4.2 gig instead of 3.2 gig if i'm not mistaken.

Are you certain about this? Please post source/link if you please.

2^32=4,294,967,296

kingpinda
03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
2^32=4,294,967,296

Hehe read my editted post above :) this is in theory. The adress space needs to be adressable. subtract all the hardware which needs to adress the ram. for instance a 1gig graphics card which isnt that uncommon these days.

and the asking for a link or source is about their being a 64bit launcher for cliffs of dover in the works.

jimbop
03-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Wow 12 Gb of ram. Sounds like someones trying to compensate for something...

When IL-2 was released you would have said, "Wow 256 Mb of ram". The point is future-proofing.

jt_medina
03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Hehe read my editted post above :) this is in theory. The adress space needs to be adressable. subtract all the hardware which needs to adress the ram. for instance a 1gig graphics card which isnt that uncommon these days.

and the asking for a link or source is about their being a 64bit launcher for cliffs of dover in the works.

I know.
We should ask to luthier about the 64bit exe.

Triggaaar
03-29-2011, 10:50 PM

Are you certain about this? Please post source/link if you please.Sorry you've miss-read my post, I'm saying if we are to get a 64 bit version soon.

kalimba
03-30-2011, 01:55 AM
I am no expert, but it is easy to imagine that a 50 plane battle over London at full detail will be impossible to acheive , even with top notch gear and super-optimized code, if SLI/XFire, multicore/ multithreading and 64 bit system are NOT eventually available...
And remember those "hidden" features such as "dynamic weather and super clouds" and many other "surprises" that Oleg told us about would totally cripple any system, even in few years from now, without the "SLI/XFire, multicore/ multithreading and 64 bit system"... This game is to big and complex not to include those features that are the only means of future proofing any game for the next 10 years...
But who knows ? Maybe 1C got it all wrong...:rolleyes:

Salute !

Thee_oddball
03-30-2011, 02:21 AM

2GB total! not just 2GB for the game, 4GB= 1GB for OS and 2.6 for game :)

Wurschtie
03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Just a quick word about Win, and the difference between systems.

WinXP is not able to run DX10, DX11, Win 7 is.
Win 7 has a way better load balancing and memory addressing behavior.
Though it doesn't matter whether you use Win7 x32 or Win7 x64, you will be able to use DX10/11 with both.
x64 however will result in better performance as long as there's no x86 garbage in the command set. x64 menas that the CPU can work 64 bits (8 bytes) in one cycle, instead of 32 bits (4 byte) that a x86 system can handle.

Unfortunately, IL-2 CLOD is an x86 exe, which means that the added processing speed will not be used. However, you get other things like memory management, and everything that runs in the background worked in x64 mode, which should in fact result in slightly better performance.
To really make a difference, we would need a x64 executable, though. However, to provide that, the devs would have to change memory management and many mathematical helper functions, which i assume are quite a lot.

And another thing:
In an x64 system, all address values are double the size (64 bit instead of 32 bit), which leads to a slightly higher memory consumption. So if you are just using 2 Gigs of RAM, don't use x64.