PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone using the GTX-590 or AMD 6990 with CoD?

*Buzzsaw*
03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Salute

We all know that dual cards in SLI or Crossfire are poison for this program.

Which means those with multiple monitors are caught between a rock and a hard place.

The usual solution of dual cards won't work.

The only other solution is the new dual core graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia, the 6990 and GTX-590.

These cards have the negatives of high cost and noise, but deliver huge, 4 Gb and 3 Gb multiple monitor performance from one card.

The 6990 seems to have better performance, but is quite a bit noisier, both cards run about the same price.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these two options?

Do they work with the program? How do they work with the game in multiple monitors?

Any info would be appreciated.

ICDP
03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
The GTX 590 and HD6990 are just SLI/Crossfire on a stick. In other words they are two GTX580s or two HD6970s respectively. They have all the same issues as SLI or Crossfire setups. They are not a magic solution to the multi lack of multi GPU support in CoD.

I have 2X HD6970s running an eyefinity setup, with CoD eyefinity is not an option right now and won't be until (if) a patch comes out, even at the lowest settings the stutter and pauses are massive. The only solution for me is to run single monitor where the performance is OK for sight seeing and just about acceptable for combat against a handfull of aircraft.

This sim/game needs a lot of work to optimise the performance to take advantage of dual GPU and multi screen setups. It is hailed as being future proofed but doesn't even support the best tech we have available now, how can it possibly be future proofed if this is the case?

Rise of flight, FSX, DCS A10C also do not support multi GPU, not one single sim released in the past fews years supports multi GPU. At least these other sims run very well with one single HD6970, even with eyefinity. I can play all three at full detail (or close to it) at very good FPS.

For me the lack of multi GPU support, lack of ability to run eyefinity and lack of support for force feedback has forced me to accept that CoD may not be a sim I use for the forseable future. It simply needs far to much work to make it usable. As someone put it in a another thread, you can't play potential.

MD_Titus
03-28-2011, 10:01 PM
How many people actually run sli though? I mean total, out of all purchasers, not just those that post on forums.

Tree_UK
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
I asked Luthier about SLI/Crossfire during development, he said that it would work but that they had never tested it, I bet he regrets that now.

Kikuchiyo
03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I asked Luthier about SLI/Crossfire during development, he said that it would work but that they had never tested it, I bet he regrets that now.

Tree I am sure they are disappointed at the rocky launch, but I highly doubt your name is passing their lips. Quit gloating, and feeling self important you egotistical wart.

Storm of When
03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I`ve got an old`ish 4870x2 and Rise of Flight most definately does run in X-Fire, you have to enable or disable full screen mode in the set up page (can`t remember which), and it will X-Fire, it`ll even display the X-Fire icon, i`ve gained a massive amount of stability and fps due to X-Fire in RoF, so will it happen in CoD you would hope so I was considering 2 x 5850 or 6850`s, but i`ll wait till its confirmed one way or the other. Call of Duty WaW also crossfires very well.

Tree_UK
03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Tree I am sure they are disappointed at the rocky launch, but I highly doubt your name is passing their lips. Quit gloating, and feeling self important you egotistical wart.

So i can assume that you think I was correct in some of my concerns that I raised here during development, otherwise how could I possibly be gloating?

l3uLLDoZeR
03-28-2011, 10:47 PM

All that just for him saying that in 2011 pc games should be SLI/Crossfire compatible...and he even asked the developer about it pre-release.

Oh yeah..he wasn't name calling, but you are. Who is the immature one?

Triggaaar
03-28-2011, 10:53 PM
I asked Luthier about SLI/Crossfire during development, he said that it would work but that they had never tested it, I bet he regrets that now.I'm willing to bet that if he could go back, and commit development time to working on SLI/Xfire, he wouldn't. The team are struggling to get the version they have working smoothly, so the lack of dual card support will be the least of their worries. So while you've posted here to try and claim credit for something (perhaps you have low self esteem, so I sympathise with you), I expect that you are wrong.

Triggaaar
03-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Rise of flight, FSX, DCS A10C also do not support multi GPU, not one single sim released in the past fews years supports multi GPU. At least these other sims run very well with one single HD6970, even with eyefinity. I can play all three at full detail (or close to it) at very good FPS.That's probably because they are less demanding than CoD. I believe their flight and damage models are a lot simpler.

We don't really know how long it will take to get CoD into a version good enough online, but it hasn't even been released outside of Russia yet, and it appears there have been comments from the developers stating that some of the issues should be fixed within the next couple of weeks.

Codex
03-28-2011, 11:26 PM
How many people actually run sli though? I mean total, out of all purchasers, not just those that post on forums.

I do

Codex
03-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Rise of flight, FSX, DCS A10C also do not support multi GPU, not one single sim released in the past fews years supports multi GPU.

You might want to do a little checking before saying that. I don't have DCS A10 or RoF, but FSX is certainly using my two GPUs in crossfire.

Wurschtie
03-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Okay, this one's a bugger.

As a 'real' flightsimmer (MSFS MMO; IVAO), I must say, that this was kind of careless development. Most of the real flightsimmers (as opposed to 'arcade kids' or 'blue jeans pilots') have extraordinarily good machines. Many are employing SLI/crossfire technology, and many are using Matrox triplehead oder eyefinity setups, along with expensive sticks, rudders, and headtrackers. This is not a secret. I just don't get why SLI/crossfire can get through to the final product without any testing ...

Luckily, I have a second machine with a single GPU. But not everybody can afford a downgrade ;)

This is not about the game supporting SLI/crossfire but about bad performance due to a multi GPU setup. It just shouldn't be like that.

but after reading that the epilepsy filter problem was resolved in favor of the community, I am quite convinced that there will be a fix for this problem, too.

kalimba
03-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Xfire and SLI may be the future of high grades PC...The GTX590 and 6990
are in fact Xfire and SLI on the same motherboard....
As a exemple,you can get today 2X560ti OC for $500.00 and get better performances than a GTX580 at the same price...And you can add a third one if you wish...:rolleyes:
Anyway...Ruling out any technology from a brand new engine that is built for the future is a big risk...It may work, but it may also fail by comparison in the near future with more current and high-tech design...

Salute !

Pyrres
03-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Well what happens with my setup is that now I´m selling my two ATI 5770´s at a crazy cheap prize to get myself a 6950 2GB and bios upgrade it to 6970 2GB because I can´t stand looking at ugly graphics. 5770 is a mediocore card that is about the same as 4870 but newer, so I´m basicly running DX11 version of 4870X2 with less memory. If I CF those two 5770 and OC them mildly it will give many newer cards a run for its money but not with ROF or COD :(, my only two games I want to play nowadays. CF works in almost all the games that I have, so I have now been used to run everything on max settings. I just can´t stand the idea that I would have to run COD on low settings.

Voyager
03-29-2011, 05:54 AM
RoF doesn't work with SLI or Crossfire, either?

I guess no 2D Surround for me. Fooy

Addendum: I'm mostly antsy because I've got a GTX 480 and LP2475w, both of which are very nice, but probably going to get discontinued in the near future, so if I'm going to do multi-monitor, this would be the time to do it, but if neither RoF nor CoD support SLI, I'm not going to get anything out of it. I figure CoD they'll probably sort it out eventually, but if RoF doesn't support it by now, they probably aren't going to.

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Luthier said it was the Epilepsy Filter that was killing SLI/Crossfire so we should all be ok now.

JG52Krupi
03-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Luthier said it was the Epilepsy Filter that was killing SLI/Crossfire so we should all be ok now.

I hope so I wasn't aware until recently that my dual chip card was viewed as crossfire.

Hopefully someone can report back that they are getting good fps from the 5970.

OldBuzzard
03-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Another thing that you have to consider when talking about Crossfire/Sli is game profiles from the card mfgs.

If there isn't a profile for the game, Crossfire/Sli won't work properly. I'm betting that things will get beter when AMD and nVidia address that issue in future driver releases.

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Another thing that you have to consider when talking about Crossfire/Sli is game profiles from the card mfgs.

If there isn't a profile for the game, Crossfire/Sli won't work properly. I'm betting that things will get beter when AMD and nVidia address that issue in future driver releases.

You can easily create a profile though with Nvidia cards, using the default driver or nHancer. I will play about with it when I get it.

Storm of When
03-29-2011, 08:07 AM
I`ve got an old`ish 4870x2 and Rise of Flight most definately does run in X-Fire. You have to edit the graphics set up in the game, i`ll post a screenie if anyones interested.

And saying Sli or X-Fire doesn`t matter is about as short sighted as you can get, perhaps you prefer a car with cross-ply tires and a carburretor, manual choke and no air-con, times have changed, X-Fire has been around since the x850 if memory servers me correctly. Also did the dev say it wouldn`t work, I havent read that, it`ll be down to Ati and Nvidia to do a profile for CoD.

Tree_UK
03-29-2011, 08:10 AM
I`ve got an old`ish 4870x2 and Rise of Flight most definately does run in X-Fire. You have to edit the graphics set up in the game, i`ll post a screenie if anyones interested.

And saying Sli or X-Fire doesn`t matter is about as short sighted as you can get, perhaps you prefer a car with cross-ply tires and a carburretor, manual choke and no air-con, times have changed, X-Fire has been around since the x850 if memory servers me correctly. Also did the dev say it wouldn`t work, I havent read that, it`ll be down to Ati and Nvidia to do a profile for CoD.

Yes my SLI setup works perfectly in ROF and significantly improves performance

Cpt Dremmen
03-29-2011, 11:06 AM
So i can assume that you think I was correct in some of my concerns that I raised here during development, otherwise how could I possibly be gloating?

Egotestical Wart? BRILLIANT!