PDA

View Full Version : To Luthier

Tree_UK
03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi Luthier, could you please confirm if multi core has made the initial release - all reports currently show no 64bit support and no Multi core, is there theres something that can be done in the conf.ini to enable this?? :confused:

meplay
03-26-2011, 11:09 PM
ffs just dont buy it you skin flint...

Hecke
03-26-2011, 11:10 PM
valid question

Tree_UK
03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
ffs just dont buy it you skin flint...

This post is for Luthier mate. there was a little clue in the thread 'to Luthier' I guess you missed that DoH!!! :rolleyes:

meplay
03-26-2011, 11:15 PM
This post is for Luthier mate. there was a little clue in the thread 'to Luthier' I guess you missed that DoH!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry skin flint!

meplay
03-26-2011, 11:17 PM
p.s if you are as clued up as you think ...you'd know he' is not gonna answer you!

furbs
03-26-2011, 11:19 PM
not only is it valid...its bloody important...the devs told us this would be supported...and so far it looks like it isnt.

maybe its coming in a patch...maybe its coming in the UK version...but im sure most people would like to know.

jimbop
03-26-2011, 11:21 PM
p.s if you are as clued up as you think ...you'd know he' is not gonna answer you!

Why?

Heliocon
03-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi Luthier, could you please confirm if multi core has made the initial release - all reports currently show no 64bit support and no Multi core, is there theres something that can be done in the conf.ini to enable this?? :confused:

+1

Super important stuff to know.

Feuerfalke
03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Why do you insist that everybody has to bow for you, while you could just use information already posted? Google and search-function blocked on your PC?

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6751022719

Dano: How is Cliffs of Dover optimised for multicore systems? Is there an upper limit on the number of cores supported?

We didn’t focus on multicore support while developing the game, but we do run the game in multiple threads. Depending on your CPU, these threads will be split between available cores. There’s no upper limit to the number of supported cores, but you will see little improvement past four cores because additional threads are pretty light.

but I guess you missed that DoH!!! for you!

meplay
03-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Why?

why do you think?

Feuerfalke
03-26-2011, 11:30 PM
+1

Super important stuff to know.

Actually the question is quite silly:

A 64bit.exe has to relate to completely other resources.

Utilizing Cores is dependent on the settings in the code or while compiling.

There's no way this can be done in a simple text-file if it wasn't in already.

As always, just a lot of hot air trying to cause a thunderstorm. And count on this: If a single raindrop falls, Tree will be there to say "See, I said it would come this way."

furbs
03-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Feuerfalke...can you tell me why they wouldnt have 64bit support and why it looks like muticore isnt working (so far).

jimbop
03-26-2011, 11:36 PM
why do you think?

Don't know, that's why I asked. Let's summarise our current understanding of ways to increase in-game performance:

1. Increase number or cores? Not much effect.
2. Increase RAM? No point if the game is running 32-bit.
3. GPU? Great if you can afford to upgrade from GTX250 to GTX480 but if you want to SLI two GTX250s? Sorry, out of luck because SLI/CrossFire might even make performance worse.

Now whilst I am confident these issues will be addressed in the next patch or two we are about to get a whole influx of new players in the west starting March 30. If they start CoD and can't get a playable frame rate after their steam d/l they are going to be annoyed and want to know what to do about it.

And guess what? They won't really care whether it is 1C's or Ubi's fault but will mark the game with a big fail. And so might reviewers. That is why there should be some response on these topics. Much better to get clarification now so the answers are at hand. This isn't pre-release any more.

Feuerfalke
03-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Feuerfalke...can you tell me why they wouldnt have 64bit support and why it looks like muticore isnt working (so far).

The answer about 64bit should be clear: Because you can't just use the 32bit version and rename it. You have to go over vital parts of the code, rewrite and recompile for 64bit. This is obviously quite time-consuming.

I can't judge on the multicore-question. There are a multitude of things as to why it doesn't work or why it may have been disabled. There are, of course, ways to enable these things manually, as it was done for BlackShark (it even got a community-made starter for that purpose), but it is also possible it's already implemented and just not active for some reason.

As opposed to others, I don't have the game and thus will not judge on pure speculation. All I can rely on are recent interviews and statements and of course general knowledge of how these things are done.

furbs
03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Feuerfalke.

And if 64bit and multicore isnt coming in a later patch(lets say it cant be done with CODs game engine), do you agree that its going to do alot of harm to the development of COD in the future?

Feuerfalke
03-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Feuerfalke.

And if 64bit and multicore isnt coming in a later patch(lets say it cant be done with CODs game engine), do you agree that its going to do alot of harm to the development of COD in the future?

As I posted above, I can't speculate on something I've not seen or something that might or might not happen.

Even less can I speculate on a speculation about a possible speculation. That's Tree's job. I'll stick to facts.

Heliocon
03-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Actually the question is quite silly:

A 64bit.exe has to relate to completely other resources.

Utilizing Cores is dependent on the settings in the code or while compiling.

There's no way this can be done in a simple text-file if it wasn't in already.

As always, just a lot of hot air trying to cause a thunderstorm. And count on this: If a single raindrop falls, Tree will be there to say "See, I said it would come this way."

You sir are a moron.

What question? Tree's question? I never made any comment so why are oyu quoting me and seemingly rebutting points or statements I never made? Love the setting up of straw man arguments/ statements no one has made for you to knock over. Its like you are arguing with someone who isnt even here, not to mention spamming multiple comments. As usual on the forum, you fly in with as you stated "alot of hot air" to argue when there is no one here making the statements you are going after.

Also in fact you look like an abusrd now, because the game only runs currently on 1 core, ram maxes out below 4gb, and it runs like crap. So the question is if it will be patched in, if it is a bug etc.

Also your posts smell of major trolling tbh, especially when you smack talk against tree when he never even replied to you.

Tree_UK
03-26-2011, 11:58 PM
I really cannot believe that they created a whole new game engine in 2007 and forgot about multicore, 64bit and SLI/Crossfire, it really looks like their idea of a new engine was to drop OpenGL and add dx10.

Heliocon
03-27-2011, 12:09 AM
I really cannot believe that they created a whole new game engine in 2007 and forgot about multicore, 64bit and SLI/Crossfire, it really looks like their idea of a new engine was to drop OpenGL and add dx10.

DX10 has multithread integration.

They are stalled at dx9 :rolleyes:

jimbop
03-27-2011, 12:14 AM

I think it is a new engine that has been pushed out the door too early. Hopefully the next couple of patches fix the immediate problems you have listed (possibly excepting 64-bit).

Tree, what potential do you think this game has? Do you think it will be remembered as a failure or as a success with a poor start?

Heliocon
03-27-2011, 12:21 AM
I think it is a new engine that has been pushed out the door too early. Hopefully the next couple of patches fix the immediate problems you have listed (possibly excepting 64-bit).

Tree, what potential do you think this game has? Do you think it will be remembered as a failure or as a success with a poor start?

I know you are asking tree - but it seems to be a problem with basic "infastructure" more then polish. 64bit exe is 100% necessary for future work, as is Mutlithreading and DX11/10(because dx9 makes very poor use of mulitple threads). These all need to be inplace as the foundations of an engine, especially a engine that will be extensisvly expanded on.

I can see them optimizing it for dx9/single thread a bit, but it wont give them much headroom, and is not next gen, infact its last gen. Current gen is using early dx11 and dx10 tech including multicore support and some 64bit software. We dont even have this (currently).

Will have to wait and see I guess.

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 12:25 AM

Thats a good question Jim, I guess that depends really on the Dev's, what we need now is a little bit of honesty and even some humble pie eating, this is a strong community we can acceppt mistakes and we can be patient (god knows we can be patient), but i dont think we can tolerate Bull sh it, I guess it depends on how fast we see some fixes, I would strongly urge Luthier to show us some in game footage before the epilepsy screen was added, if that runs well it will give us all some hope.

Despite what many may think of me, i do not want this game to fail, I have always been amongst a few on here who have dared to ask the awkward questions (Hecke and Heliocon being other crusaders) its cost me two bans!! The answers or non answers and constant avoidence from the Dev's over many important features have made me very suspicous, and now we can all see why. I hope they can fix it and I truly hope that this new generation will have many success's but now its purely down to them. S!

jimbop
03-27-2011, 12:26 AM
64bit exe is 100% necessary for future work

+1 just to clarify my comment. If 64-bit is indeed absent (I don't have my copy yet after all) I was doubting whether 64-bit would be an initial priority (e.g. 1.01 or 1.02). Absolutely required if they truly want to turn CoD into IL2#2 with the long lifespan and expansions that entailed.

Heliocon
03-27-2011, 12:31 AM
+1 just to clarify my comment. If 64-bit is indeed absent (I don't have my copy yet after all) I was doubting whether 64-bit would be an initial priority (e.g. 1.01 or 1.02). Absolutely required if they truly want to turn CoD into IL2#2 with the long lifespan and expansions that entailed.

NP, I understand. I agree with tree that we need more dev-> community dialogue. I dont know if it is due to the language barrier but often it seems we are all flying blind.

As for 64bit, getting the mutlicore and sli/crossfire support working first is more important, since alot of people are on 64bit OS the 32bit exe of the game should be able to get to 4gb of ram since there is no old 32bit os reserve cap.

Biggs
03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
So if i got the gist of all this... As of right now... As the game itself stands right now, there is no benifit in having a system that is running win64, is over 2gig if ram, and has, say a multi(quad) core processor??

jimbop
03-27-2011, 12:40 AM
So if i got the gist of all this... As of right now... As the game itself stands right now, there is no benifit in having a system that is running win64, is over 2gig if ram, and has, say a multi(quad) core processor??

That was what the OP asked...

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 12:41 AM

Correct Biggs, no benefit at all.

jimbop
03-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Thats a good question Jim, I guess that depends really on the Dev's, what we need now is a little bit of honesty and even some humble pie eating, this is a strong community we can acceppt mistakes and we can be patient (god knows we can be patient), but i dont think we can tolerate Bull sh it, I guess it depends on how fast we see some fixes, I would strongly urge Luthier to show us some in game footage before the epilepsy screen was added, if that runs well it will give us all some hope.

Despite what many may think of me, i do not want this game to fail, I have always been amongst a few on here who have dared to ask the awkward questions (Hecke and Heliocon being other crusaders) its cost me two bans!! The answers or non answers and constant avoidence from the Dev's over many important features have made me very suspicous, and now we can all see why. I hope they can fix it and I truly hope that this new generation will have many success's but now its purely down to them. S!

Thanks Tree - didn't answer the question, though. What's your gut feeling about the eventual endpoint?

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks Tree - didn't answer the question, though. What's your gut feeling about the eventual endpoint?

I really honestly dont know mate, my gut feeling is that we have been told an untruth and this is not an entire new engine, if that is the case then we wont see multicore support, or 64bit technology or DX11 and the game will be a failure. But I hope I am wrong, we need answers and fast from Luthier.

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Something as gone wrong here, just read the very recent interview again with Oleg at Simhq, heres the question and answer;-

Q. Will the dedicated server be able to run 64-bit?

A. Yes.

so why isnt the game able to run 64bit but the dedicated server is?? Or is it more pork pies?

recoilfx
03-27-2011, 01:02 AM
A server doesn't need to do asset management(texture, sounds blah blah) nor does it need to worry about graphics - so in theory, compiling a smaller code base into different architectures is much easier.

jimbop
03-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Do we know that there is no 64-bit version or do we only know that various users are running it in 32-bit as per screens?

recoilfx
03-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Do we know that there is no 64-bit version or do we only know that various users are running it in 32-bit as per screens?

I am pretty sure that there will be 64bit version (the server is already supposed to be 64bit), just as DX11, we need to wait. Going forward, with additional memory requirements, it doesn't make sense if CloD doesn't go 64bit.

furbs
03-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Yes but why wouldnt COD be 32bit/64bit and multicore right from when they started the development and be ready for release from day 1?

Tiger27
03-27-2011, 03:29 AM
I really honestly dont know mate, my gut feeling is that we have been told an untruth and this is not an entire new engine, if that is the case then we wont see multicore support, or 64bit technology or DX11 and the game will be a failure. But I hope I am wrong, we need answers and fast from Luthier.

Surely what we want is for them to work on fixes, what difference will it make if they come on and say we lied, the thing is we still don't have it to test yet and we have no idea if the posters no nothing about PC setups or game tweaking, so wouldn't it be best to let the devs do what they can with it before it's released in the West.

The problem with all your theories Tree is that if you are right then we all lose, I'm still going to layout the $50 for it and take a chance it will come good like ROF has done, if your wrong well the game still obviously has issues so again hopefully it will get fixed in time.

nearmiss
03-27-2011, 03:58 AM
If Luthier wants to answer he will, otherwise just chit chat. :rolleyes:

Space Communist
03-27-2011, 04:45 AM
But if they really landed on the moon in 1969 why are the shadows all the wrong way huh? I am a moon shadow expert and let me tell you something doesn't add up.

... huh, what's that? Oh I'm sorry I thought we had started a ridiculous conspiracy theory thread.

*Buzzsaw*
03-27-2011, 05:06 AM

Again Tree, you seem to have an exaggerated sense of your own importance.

Whether Luthier answers your questions is irrelevant as to whether the game is a failure or not.

What matters is whether the design team has the ideas, time and money to fix any issues with the game.

The only relevance you have to the success or failure of the game is your ability to smear its reputation, and therefore sabotage its sales, or vice versa, to promote the possibility of its success.

So why don't you rein in your inflated ego and just quiet down.

For those of us who would like to see the game succeed, and who are prepared to give Oleg and Luthier the benefit of the doubt, your comments are useless.

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Again Tree, you seem to have an exaggerated sense of your own importance.

Whether Luthier answers your questions is irrelevant as to whether the game is a failure or not.

What matters is whether the design team has the ideas, time and money to fix any issues with the game.

The only relevance you have to the success or failure of the game is your ability to smear its reputation, and therefore sabotage its sales, or vice versa, to promote the possibility of its success.

So why don't you rein in your inflated ego and just quiet down.

For those of us who would like to see the game succeed, and who are prepared to give Oleg and Luthier the benefit of the doubt, your comments are useless.

Buzzsaw give me a break for gads sake, stop stalking me its embarrasing, go outside and play.

JG52Krupi
03-27-2011, 09:14 AM

DURRR... what the hell have they being working on for the past 6 years you six years.

Have you played the game? NO well STFU you don't know squat so stop your bullshit already...

Do you really think luthier would answer your question... He has a brain and knows that if he was to answer you directly he would open the flood gates to more of your bullshit its easier not to feed the troll..

It seems however others on this forum including myself sabotage his attempt to starve you by responding to your pathetic posts :rolleyes:

jimbop
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Do you really think luthier would answer your question... He has a brain and knows that if he was to answer you directly he would open the flood gates to more of your bullshit its easier not to feed the troll..

Hardly matters now anyway. The game is released so answers are being found regardless. Even more so from 31st when we get western versions I guess.

The game will get there; much better to have it released now even with bugs which can be worked on than not being released at all.

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 10:59 AM
DURRR... what the hell have they being working on for the past 6 years you six years.

Have you played the game? NO well STFU you don't know squat so stop your bullshit already...

It seems however others on this forum including myself sabotage his attempt to starve you by responding to your pathetic posts :rolleyes:

lol, It very much appears that i know alot more than yourself, will I STFU, no I wont, now you have been proven wrong by me so many times I guess your feeling the pain, now man up and say that I have been right on lots of issues. :grin::grin:

Insuber
03-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Correct Biggs, no benefit at all.

I'm not sure that this is the correct answer: a 64-bit operating system with more physical memory, running several 32-bit programs in emulation layers, should give you an advantage anyway.

JG52Krupi
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
lol, It very much appears that i know alot more than yourself, will I STFU, no I wont, now you have been proven wrong by me so many times I guess your feeling the pain, now man up and say that I have been right on lots of issues. :grin::grin:

Wrong... neither of us have played the game.

BigPickle
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Well all i know is this, they said CoD would be Dx11 ready but sadly later on they said that it didnt make the release but Dx10 would, sadly it looks like Dx10 didnt make it either by new players accounts, but logically in time it will.
So will Dx11 and 64bit, think about it, its plastered all over every advert and even the manual for the game, Dx10 & Dx11 technology and Dx11 surely cant exist without with 64 bit.

Maybe its not on initial release but if it didnt come in the patch, it would leave the door wide open for people to call in a breach of the trades discription act, and no fancy lawyer could defend them from that.
I think the guys at 1C have more brains than you give them credit for, they know the West has a compensation generation, they arnt gonna walk full face into that one.

Insuber
03-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Apologies if that has been posted already. From Sukhoi.re, a post by Luthier dated 25/03:

25.03.2011 20:04
luthier
Producer Sow: BoB

Dear friends,

Thanks to you for the support. If you can, please accept my personal apologies for the problems at the launch of game. We worked full steam since long ago, and the last month was even more feverish, and we had a very little time for the final polishing of th product.

Anyhow, we are at work to fix the following in the next few days:

1. anti-epilepsy will be once and for all banished from the Russian version of game. This it will add to 10 [fps] in the older machines. You can even now disable this filter - instructions were given repeatedly.

2. we already discovered the reason for micros-freezes at the low altitudes. Fixing should be done in a reasonably small amount of time.

3. we continue to optimize game. Our chief programmer - optimizer has been ill for the last three days, but he has a solid job schedule, which would allow to improve the frame-rate within a sufficiently short time. We don't promise miracles, but flight above terrain will begin to differ less dramatically from flight above water.

4. texts are checked by correctors. Credits are already cleaned.

5. The remaining problems have for us a less high priority. We hope to let out a patch, which improves frame-rate and rolling tects, on the next weekand ruling texts, on the following week, and then take the time to solve other problems, to improve game, to add aircraft, and so forth.