PDA

View Full Version : Why launcher.exe process takes only about 1gb of ram??

highness
03-26-2011, 10:06 PM
I have checked that in the task manager when i was flying, no matter where.. either in clear sky or over water or close to land, the launcher.exe is always around 1gb of ram..

isnt it supposed taking advantage of full physical ram available? ( i got 8gb)

jimbop
03-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Is that logged usage or are you doing alt-tab?

AndyJWest
03-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Yes, but what are other processes started by launcher.exe using? They may actually be doing most of the work, and using most of the RAM.

Herra Tohtori
03-26-2011, 11:27 PM
You might want to use process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653) instead of task manager; it will give much more accurate information about all the processes and sub-processes that are running on the computer.

highness
03-26-2011, 11:46 PM
launcher.exe is inside the main il2 / steam directory and it is what launches the game

when i did alt+tab and checked how much ram it was using in the task manager, it was always around 1gb and there were no other .exe processes that were taking more ram than this one

so i found it pretty much intriguing, if the launcher.exe is the main il2 simulator game, why it doesn't take more ram ?

jimbop
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM
launcher.exe is inside the main il2 / steam directory and it is what launches the game

when i did alt+tab and checked how much ram it was using in the task manager, it was always around 1gb and there were no other .exe processes that were taking more ram than this one

so i found it pretty much intriguing, if the launcher.exe is the main il2 simulator game, why it doesn't take more ram ?

Use perfmon (type into Run) and record usage during game.

Feuerfalke
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM
No gaming software uses your full RAM.

If at all, it's reserved half of it unless you enable a 3GB-Switch or assign more memory by other means. However, that does not necessarily increase performance.

In general, Windows offers 2 GB to any application, no matter if you have 4 or 64 GB of memory installed.

Only exception is a 64bit.exe running on a 64bit OS. In this case, it CAN use more RAM. But again, this will not increase overall performance. If you notice a difference, it's by improved loading times and less texture-loading while inflight.

Heliocon
03-27-2011, 12:05 AM
No gaming software uses your full RAM.

If at all, it's reserved half of it unless you enable a 3GB-Switch or assign more memory by other means. However, that does not necessarily increase performance.

In general, Windows offers 2 GB to any application, no matter if you have 4 or 64 GB of memory installed.

Only exception is a 64bit.exe running on a 64bit OS. In this case, it CAN use more RAM. But again, this will not increase overall performance. If you notice a difference, it's by improved loading times and less texture-loading while inflight.

Wrong, dont know why you are on a disinformation crusade tonight. Most people are running it on win7 64bit which allows the OS to give 4gb of ram to a 32bit app and more to a 64bit app. Basically your comment seems to be stating a norm, when infact that is not the norm anymore. So 64bit OS is not the exception.

Also when you talk about the "notice a differance" with 64bit apps it makes you look rediculous, ram is ram - you either have enough to load the rescources or you dont. Lack of ram causes paging of the harddrive, if that has to happen it will slow the software down, and the program does not discriminate between many of the rescources needed, also texture loading is one of the most intensive and "lag producing" pages in a game. So you are contradicting yourself.

highness
03-27-2011, 12:22 AM
i have win7 64bit

jimbop
03-27-2011, 12:27 AM
i have win7 64bit

Did you do the perfmon track? I'd be interested in seeing it after a couple of minutes of play if you could upload a screenshot.

furbs
03-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Feuerfalke...are you telling me your not even a tiny-whiny bit worried by this?

Heliocon
03-27-2011, 12:33 AM
i have win7 64bit

What about your GPU? Maybe its capping out your system ram based on your Vram and only loading in use textures straight to your GPU through paging when needed instead of loading the textures into system ram for access. (which would be very very bad).

highness
03-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Did you do the perfmon track? I'd be interested in seeing it after a couple of minutes of play if you could upload a screenshot.

i just looked into perfmon, there are many different trackers in the RAM Memory section that can be added to the monitor.

i'm not familiar with this, which ones would represent the memory usage and that you would suggest to use?

because by default in the perfmon there is only one tracker :

% Processor time

the question is to find why the required specifications are 4gb of RAM and why the "final product" would use only about 1gb

my config is:

i7 875k
8gb of ram ddr3
GTX295
Win7 64bit

and my current/average FPS in il2 cod RUS is 5/10/15-35 + lots of stutters , running at native desktop resolution 1920x1680, 32bit, everything to medium AND with Antiepilepcy=0 setting in the conf.ini

it is very barely playable as it is now...

jimbop
03-27-2011, 03:21 AM
i just looked into perfmon, there are many different trackers in the RAM Memory section that can be added to the monitor.

i'm not familiar with this, which ones would represent the memory usage and that you would suggest to use?

because by default in the perfmon there is only one tracker :

% Processor time

the question is to find why the required specifications are 4gb of RAM and why the "final product" would use only about 1gb

Click on Performance Monitor and then the green plus at the top. Next, click the little down arrow next to Memory and Add>> % Committed Bytes in Use then OK. Depending on your setup you may need to right-click on the % Committed Bytes in Use line at the bottom and Scale Selected Counters to get the line visible on the chart.

You can also add various CPU trackers to determine active threads etc - pretty powerful app.