PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy is NOT a joke

Moggy
03-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Some of you however think it is. I know this thread will be buried under the mountain of crap currently being posted but let me tell you this, epilepsy isn't a joke.
As I've stated previously, my Mother suffers from epilepsy and a friend recently tried to commit suicide because he couldn't handle his seizures any more. Can you imagine as he's a father of 3 what that's like for his family?
So please before posting jokes about epilepsy, spare a thought for others ok? I pray none of you or your family ever have the misfortune to become struck down by epilepsy.

\rant off

Moggy
03-26-2011, 09:54 AM
At least have the dignity to read what I've typed before replying. I'm not talking about the filter be it in the game, tv or film. I'm talking about the forum, that's it.

pupaxx
03-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Dear Moggy,
sorry if my post offended you or everybody else.
All of us has some episode in our families or close friends related to the illness. It was not my intention to offend nobody but we are in a ludic context, a loose (relaxed) context ( I don't know if well explained). A matter like anti-epilepsy filter that reduce the game experience to an audience who look forward to the release of CoD is at least hilarious. So hilarious to risk to offend someone. It's so crazy that I'm forced to live the experience of an epilectic in a game! Is like the film AVATAR (or every action movie)was toned down to be affordable for a public with some perception handycap.
Sorry:(

pupaxx
03-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I have dignity, please let me the time to formulate a reply!

Triggaaar
03-26-2011, 10:01 AM
So please before posting jokes about epilepsy, spare a thought for others ok?You're quite right, people shouldn't be posting offensive comments on this forum, jokes or otherwise. We should be able to raise our concerns about what these measures are doing to the game we have been waiting for, without posting jokes about the condition. If you see jokes about it I suggest you report the posts to the moderators.

Moggy
03-26-2011, 10:05 AM
pupaxx, apology accepted. I'm going to tell you and everyone else where I stand on this whole filter issue;

The filter should be an option\switch, it shouldn't be forced onto the gamer.

I don't like it being forced onto anyone as much as the next person. In fact, the guy I'm talking about in my earlier post....is also a gamer! I'm sure he'd agree with me.

DBCooper
03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
This filter shizzle is so gay(e).....

Qpassa
03-26-2011, 10:07 AM
We have the same opinion, It should be optional

Triggaaar
03-26-2011, 10:10 AM
This filter shizzle is so gay(e).....What, gay as in happy (it's a happy filter), or gay as in homosexual?

So we have a thread on forum behaviour, and withing a 7 replies we get anti homosexual remarks. Quality.

DBCooper
03-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Triggaaar you are so dumb!

Shrike_UK
03-26-2011, 10:12 AM
We have the same opinion, It should be optional

sureley this should be an option for graphics cards to have, plenty of options for filters on them already, 1 more couldnt hurt, plus, if its handles by a sub OS process (driver based as graphics cards are) then it will be more efficient than software based solutions. Also this will be more financial viable because you dont pass the cost of developing this onto every single game developer, some of which are finding it hard enough to afford to produce games as it is.

Peffi
03-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Imagine all the situations in the world that can cause an epileptic attac. If one was to forbid everything that for a very few may cause an epileptic attac then the world for absolutely sure would come to a quick stop. To bad Luthier has decided to implement this filter that is not possible to turn off just because he does not want to be sued. There has to be another solution. If this filter causes noticeable detoriation on gameplay then I'll read a book instead, so I don't get a seizure.

LegTaste
03-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Epilepsy may not be a joke, but forcing everyone to play with the filter is.

I'm not even going to considering buying this game unless there is a way to turn it off.

If they stick a massive disclaimer and warning in the game they cant be sued.

Just really annoyed to hear of this rubbish, idiots is all i can say, was really looking forward to this, just to get it toned down, after all that work to make it "perfect".

How many epileptics have been suing the tv companies for broadcasting flashing images?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/play/764/

No need to worry about getting sued, the loss of sales will make up for it i'm sure.

T}{OR
03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Epilepsy may not be a joke, but forcing everyone to play with the filter is.

I'm not even going to considering buying this game unless there is a way to turn it off.

+1000

If they stick a massive disclaimer and warning in the game they cant be sued.

No need to worry about getting sued, the loss of sales will make up for it i'm sure.

I do wonder if they did a study first on what effect would this have? Which will cause them more money lost - low sales of a couple of possible lawsuits. Because everywhere you look people are talking about canceling their orders.

Lucas_From_Hell
03-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Gees, people talk as if the team didn't give a damn about anyone. As far as I recall, there's been a (huge, by the way) thread in which Ilya explained in details the whole issue with the filter and what their plans regarding it (that being making it switchable).

Please, stop bashing the devs for an issue caused purely by the PUBLISHER and that is currently being addressed. It has been said already that they are working in a more realism-friendly version of the filter (so that epileptic users can enjoy better graphics too) and also a switch so non-epileptic users can turn it off.

It has been already stated that the filter in use right now is merely a STOP-GAP. They just decided to get rid of the features that may cause a seizure for the time being while they work on the actual, more complex filter.

Quoting:

Hi everyone,

The team could never in a million years imagine that a post on a Russian-language forum would so quickly make the rounds and spread around the internet.

The information there is not accurate, especially the placing of the blame on Ubisoft.

I feel that I need to describe this in more detail.

Our game did cause wide-scale epilepsy failures when tested. Propellers, muzzle flashes, smoke puffs, explosions, falling bombs, flying or taxiing between buildings, sun shining through canopy framework, etc, they were all causing potentially seizure-inducing flashes.

We worked hard to address all these issues individually, but since a flight sim is all about fast-moving large objects, there were just too many instances of things causing high-contrast flashes.

So, as we were running out of time, WE decided to implement this epilepsy filter as a stop-gap measure.

The filter sits on top of the game's graphics wrapper. It saves a previous frame, and then compares it pixel-by-pixel to the new frame. When two pixels are found with a high degree of contrast between them, the new pixel is toned down to make the change less drastic.

This causes a visual effect somewhere between bloom and motion-blur that removes virtually all instances of high-contrast flashes.

However this pixel-by-pixel frame analysis and modification takes up additional resources, it in fact delays the showing of each new frame until each pixel of it checked, and therefore the filter is causing deteriorated performance that is especially notable on lower-end machines.

We are continuing to work to optimize the game and to increase its framerate. Ubisoft has been very patient and understanding with us throughout the entire process, and we are continuing to work with them very closely to find the best solution to epilepsy issues.

In summary, I want to stress that it is OUR code and OUR game engine that is causing performance issues. And it US who has to make it better, and that's exactly what we pledge to do.

I think they've made it clear enough, so all this whining and bashing is something very, very unnecessary.

Moggy
03-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Guys thanks for all your posts but my thread isn't about the filter and never was. There's plenty of over posts about the filter, so can we end it here please?

Many thanks.

Richie
03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Also never say fit. It's seizure. The wife and the sister in law have fits :)

T}{OR
03-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Gees, people talk as if the team didn't give a damn about anyone. As far as I recall, there's been a (huge, by the way) thread in which Ilya explained in details the whole issue with the filter and what their plans regarding it (that being making it switchable).

Do you have selective reading? Only for the Russian version it will be completely REMOVED - with the next patch. We, in the rest of the World have to wait until they adjust the whole game. This will undoubtedly take much longer than most people here think. Then and only then will the Filter be removed for the international version. On what level will the game be castrated, remains to be seen.

Apologies to Moggy, this was and will be my last post here on the matter. Mods, delete it if needed.

Vevster
03-26-2011, 11:30 AM
That may be so, but where is the Anti-Epilepsy-Filter in movies on television or cinema?

In the UK, all TV Shows are tested for seizures. That is mandatory by law

Just like Cliffs of Dover was tested, and failed the test, it seems.

LegTaste
03-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Its like removing nuts from all previously nut containing products because people with nut allergies could become ill or die from eating them.

choctaw111
03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I have seen warnings on games and media for epileptic people.
Epilepsy is definitely not a joke but imagine if all the great movies and games we love had the explosions and flashes taken out.
I do believe that people with epilepsy should be able to enjoy the same things as those without epilepsy, but let's face it, once these movies and games are changed with epilepsy in mind, the movies and games are NOT the same anymore. The person with epilepsy will not enjoy the same cinematic experience.
I have lost most of the use of my legs from combat. Does that mean that no one else is allowed to run?
So what's next?
When we play a game or watch a movie or even regular TV, should we have an option to choose between Epilepsy and non epilepsy formats?
Imagine if all of us were forced to play games or watch movies in an epilepsy format.

LegTaste
03-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Just re-read some posts, its a 100% no purchase from me unless someone works out how the make the russian version english.

It pretty much is filter until they shitify the game, then it will be turned off.

I'm that disappointed i probably wouldn't want to play it if i was given the game for free. Unless a dev can confirm the engine changes wont affect the quality compared to the original, but we wont see that happening because this is exactly whats going to happen.

Bakelit
03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
pupaxx, apology accepted. I'm going to tell you and everyone else where I stand on this whole filter issue;

The filter should be an option\switch, it shouldn't be forced onto the gamer.

I don't like it being forced onto anyone as much as the next person. In fact, the guy I'm talking about in my earlier post....is also a gamer! I'm sure he'd agree with me.

Agreed. Filter ON per default with a note of caution for people affected when installing. After install a switch to ON/OFF in the GUI. That I'd find perfectly neat.

slick118
03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
That may be so, but where is the Anti-Epilepsy-Filter in movies on television or cinema?

Every film and television programme, at least here in the UK, must first be audited for any issues relating to epilepsy before they are transmitted. If they fail this tech check they are returned to the production company for the issue to be addressed. If the issue is not rectified the programme or film won't be broadcast. Simple as that.

It is exactly the same for film and television programmes, people just aren't aware of it.

mazex
03-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Some of you however think it is. I know this thread will be buried under the mountain of crap currently being posted but let me tell you this, epilepsy isn't a joke.
As I've stated previously, my Mother suffers from epilepsy and a friend recently tried to commit suicide because he couldn't handle his seizures any more. Can you imagine as he's a father of 3 what that's like for his family?
So please before posting jokes about epilepsy, spare a thought for others ok? I pray none of you or your family ever have the misfortune to become struck down by epilepsy.

\rant off

+1

Well said. Whatever anyone think of the filter, making clumsy jokes about a very serious disease is really bad style and has nothing to do with the subject.

Bryan21cag
03-26-2011, 02:32 PM
just because you do not find something funny does not mean its not meant to be a joke:)

God, Jesus, Sex, Homosexuality, Heterosexuality, being white, being Asian, being black, being jewish (im jewish), being catholic, being a woman, being a man, being a turtle:P all these things you might not find funny subjects either but I on the other hand I have heard plenty of funny jokes on all of these subjects.:)

humor is like any other form of art and is completely subjective one person looks at a Monet and sees beauty another looks and sees complete crap.

Just because a particular subject hits too close to home for your taste does not make it a serious statement as long as the person saying it only meant it as a joke. And even if they did mean it as a serious statement what happened to "sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me?"

its hilarious that we tell our children (or used too when grew up) that if a bully calls you a name in school to just laugh at their ignorance and walk away but then as adults now we tell each other that if someone calls you a name you should try and make it against the law for that person to speak???? This makes no sense?

Since it is up to all of us individually to decide what we think is humor or not then I personally don't think that any of the jokes I have read within these forums were anything but attempts at humor, funny or not and I am sure that if people really wanted to bash epileptics on a personal level they could find an epileptic hating web forum for that purpose (you can find anything these days) and wouldn't go to the trouble of posting intentional hate posts on a video game website lol that just sounds silly:)

Its funny but people forget that in a lot of countries (including mine) the rite to say anything that was on your mind without prosecution was such an important one that they wrote it down on paper and said it was a common rite for all humans.

I am not sure and you can correct me if I am wrong about this:) but i do not think any civilized country put into writing that you have the rite to stop other people from saying anything that you do not personally want to hear.

My uncle fell many years ago and is paralyzed because of it for the rest of his life and he is the first person to belly laugh out loud when a good cripple joke is told:) if you asked him why he is laughing he tells you because laughing feels good and the joke was funny.

Bottom line is i don't care if you don't find something funny just like you shouldn't care if i do, that's our rite:) but wanting to censor the world from things that you don't find funny so that I may never hear them and decide for myself? this is not ok with me. :)

hope your mom and friend have better lives in the future:)

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

Biggs
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
For the record, my avatar is not poking fun at people with epilepsy... Its most certainly poking fun at this absurd "filter fiasco".

Bryan21cag
03-26-2011, 03:12 PM
For the record, my avatar is not poking fun at people with epilepsy... Its most certainly poking fun at this absurd "filter fiasco".

this is not funny at all sir.................

its hilarious actually :)

cheers

nearmiss
03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
I can't believe this thread.

Here we have all kinds of information flowing to us. The developer has the epilepsy thing under control and we get all this discussion and "you offend me".

This thread is closed