PDA

View Full Version : Started a POLL at Ubi for the Epi filter

Zoom2136
03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Guys keep it civil and please vote. Lets get organized.

Regards,

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/8411003719

bw_wolverine
03-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Voted

highness
03-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Making it "OPTIONAL" is not a good idea, because that would cost some precious development time and coding for developpers instead of having them focused on others much more important things :(

the best thing is just get rid of that crap and have just an explicit / picture showing a warning !

bw_wolverine
03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Making it "OPTIONAL" is not a good idea, because that would cost some precious development time and coding for developpers instead of having them focused on others much more important things :(

the best thing is just get rid of that crap and have just an explicit / picture showing a warning !

There's no reason if it's possible to make it optional not to. Allows everyone to play safely (or more safely) while not unduly affecting the enjoyment for anyone.

Sternjaeger
03-25-2011, 02:40 PM

..aaaand here's a new benchmark for selfishness.. thank you...

swiss
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
There's no reason if it's possible to make it optional not to. Allows everyone to play safely (or more safely) while not unduly affecting the enjoyment for anyone.

True, some features may look like XXXX, but at least it's safe for everyone. :-x

highness
03-25-2011, 02:59 PM
wtf? u want a good sim or an "anti epileptical" benchmark application?

bw_wolverine
03-25-2011, 03:01 PM
True, some features may look like XXXX, but at least it's safe for everyone. :-x

You understand that I'm saying provide the option to turn it off completely (run as the devs intended it to) or run with it on (for people who need it), right?

Best for everyone.

Robert
03-25-2011, 03:03 PM
I've been looking at these yellow walls for three plus years, and I haven't had a seizure yet. :D

Zoom2136
03-25-2011, 03:05 PM
wtf? u want a good sim or an "anti epileptical" benchmark application?

If you were an epileptic, would you like such a feature?

I must admit that my first gut reaction was just like yours, but after thinking about it, such a feature may make this sim futur proof. If politician make this feature mandatory in the futur, why not plan ahead? This is the start of a long series, no?

Also, if a publisher as the foresight to make this feature (selectable) then they can discuss with goverment official and argue that their implimantation is actually reaching the desired goal. That way, everybody win.

My 2c,

C_G
03-25-2011, 03:12 PM
I've been looking at these yellow walls for three plus years, and I haven't had a seizure yet. :D

Of course not, you're a banana. You're in your element here :-P

Shrike_UK
03-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by highness
Making it "OPTIONAL" is not a good idea, because that would cost some precious development time and coding for developpers instead of having them focused on others much more important things

..aaaand here's a new benchmark for selfishness.. thank you...

That swings both ways, you could say the epileptic person is being selfish and only thinking of themselves too.

C_G
03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
It would surprise me that the filter [assuming it is the cause of problems] could not be made optional.
It is clearly not hard-coded into the game.
I imagine a conf.ini setting could be linked to the filter code to switch it off. Minimal work would be required to do so.

Insuber
03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
That swings both ways, you could say the epileptic person is being selfish and only thinking of themselves too.

Except that we would trade fun for serious health problems.

swiss
03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Except that we would trade fun for serious health problems.

I smoke one packs of cigs each day, sometimes even some funny herbs: Trust me you can have both.

Trumper
03-25-2011, 04:14 PM
In the UK if a TV programme or news report has flashing photography in it they give a verbal warning that it contains flash photography
Surely if they can broadcast live to millions all at once a sim/game is capable of issuing a warning so that anyone carrying on past the warning accepts responsibility of their own actions.

ATAG_Doc
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
You can buy a gun at a gun show and all the ammo you want but you cannot buy this game from UBI because it has flashes and a spinning prop and it go boom.

Blackdog_kt
03-25-2011, 07:07 PM
The epilepsy filter is going to be removed once they tweak the graphics in a way that doesn't present dangers for epilepsy. That means we'll get the FPS back, we just don't know how the visual effects will be handled: for example, are they just going to be less bright or disabled altogether in some cases?

That's what is the core of the issue to be honest. If they disable all the muzzle flashes, the bullet impacts and the night exhaust flames then it's going to be a bit disappointing. I'm still getting a collector's edition (i have it on pre-order) because in all likelihood there will mod packs with the stock effect packs.

You know me, i always like options. So, since they already have the stock "seizure inducing" effect pack and they are now coding a secondary "epilepsy friendly" effect pack, why not have both of them and be able to choose?

Like i said, if devs can't do it for legal reasons, modders will do soon enough ;)

Kikuchiyo
03-25-2011, 07:16 PM
It would surprise me that the filter [assuming it is the cause of problems] could not be made optional.
It is clearly not hard-coded into the game.
I imagine a conf.ini setting could be linked to the filter code to switch it off. Minimal work would be required to do so.

We've already seen that the conf.ini does have a true false setting for it. It was posted yesterday, but the threads have been so numerous and the posting so frantic I can't find it anymore.

Sternjaeger
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
highness and shrike UK, I feel for you guys, how can you be such douchebags?! :shock:

JG52Uther
03-25-2011, 07:43 PM
We've already seen that the conf.ini does have a true false setting for it. It was posted yesterday, but the threads have been so numerous and the posting so frantic I can't find it anymore.
Optional for Russia,but that setting is not for the west...