PDA

View Full Version : For Luthier or Oleg...Dedicated server info please

Thee_oddball
03-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I understand that there will be dedicated server Software sent with the game. Can you give us an idea about what system requirements we will need to run a 32/64/128 person server such as:
Ram (4,8,12gb?)
CPU (dual or quad core?)
Bandwidth per player?

thnx

Heliocon
03-19-2011, 10:43 PM
I understand that there will be dedicated server sent with the game. Can you give us an idea about what system requirements we will need to run a 32/64/128 person server such as:
Ram (4,8,12gb?)
CPU (dual or quad core?)
Bandwidth per player?

thnx

You mean server capacity (as in the ability to run or use a computer as a server?), because most "servers" I know off you cant normally send in a box, or even a large truck...

Sounds to me like player side hosting.

edit- added a t to the "can" to make it "cant"... silly me :P

zauii
03-19-2011, 11:13 PM
You mean server capacity (as in the ability to run or use a computer as a server?), because most "servers" I know off you can normally send in a box, or even a large truck...

Listen servers?, no way if thats what you're implying.
It will be dedis for sure, still would be nice with the specs tho.

Kikuchiyo
03-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Listen servers?, no way if thats what you're implying.
It will be dedis for sure, still would be nice with the specs tho.

You are talking about a computer you would use at home as a server correct? Helicon is talking about a profesiional server.

Thee_oddball
03-20-2011, 01:16 AM
You mean server capacity (as in the ability to run or use a computer as a server?), because most "servers" I know off you can normally send in a box, or even a large truck...

cheeky sod :-) or maybe i am talking about colocation at a data center in California with a synchronous 10mbit connection :)

BigPickle
03-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Hey another arma fan, nice one. anyone know if we will be able to host from our machines like in the other IL2 games?

EAF92_Brigstock
03-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm after this info too. I have a dedicated server that I use for RoF, which doesn't have 3d capability. That is fine for dedicated software run off a command line.
What I want to know is whether COOP will be included in the CoD dedicated server.
I want to run COOPS rather than DF's and in IL2 the only way to do that was running the full game on a server with the graphics turned down.

RoF runs DF and COOP mode on their dedicated software (albeit not very well for COOP), I'd like to know whether CoD will be able to do the same.

I'm on a very good contract with my server at the moment, I got a very good deal on a monthly rolling contract. Jumped in when a new company started up. Got a 3 gig quad Xeon, 2 gig ram, 500Gig sata 3 disc for £35 per month. The company now charges £65 for the same spec. To have to give that up to upgrade to a 3d capable server would hurt. I'm sure my host would love me to move on :) but I ain't so keen.

Feuerfalke
03-20-2011, 09:12 AM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=185373&postcount=338

EAF92_Brigstock
03-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the link Feuerfalke, but that doesn't answer any of the questions. We know dedicated software will be available with the initial release. However we would like to know the scope and requirement for dedicated software.

Feuerfalke
03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the link Feuerfalke, but that doesn't answer any of the questions. We know dedicated software will be available with the initial release. However we would like to know the scope and requirement for dedicated software.

As the link says, so far it's only sure there will be a dedicated server-software. And it also says, that it will be available when the game is released.

While that answer is not satisfying, it is an answer: It's still being worked on ;)

EAF92_Brigstock
03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
It doesn't really relate to the questions asked here though.
The link is a throw away comment from 2007, the game is 2 weeks away, some details on the dedicated software would appreciated.

Feuerfalke
03-20-2011, 12:53 PM
It doesn't really relate to the questions asked here though.
The link is a throw away comment from 2007, the game is 2 weeks away, some details on the dedicated software would appreciated.

Hence my above statement. It's not satisfying. But it's all you got.

The dedicated Server is based on the final version and the stripped for all unnecessary stuff and added the server-manager. As the final version just last week went gold, you can probably figure out yourself, in what status the dedicated server actually is.

And then we come back to the link - because it says exactly this, no matter how old it may be.

mazex
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm after this info too. I have a dedicated server that I use for RoF, which doesn't have 3d capability. That is fine for dedicated software run off a command line.
What I want to know is whether COOP will be included in the CoD dedicated server.
I want to run COOPS rather than DF's and in IL2 the only way to do that was running the full game on a server with the graphics turned down.

RoF runs DF and COOP mode on their dedicated software (albeit not very well for COOP), I'd like to know whether CoD will be able to do the same.

The RoF dedicated server is a joke... Try starting a simple df mission and look at the CPU load when NO players have joined. It's like 50-70 load on my old dual core P4 server. Sure it's an old server but a real dedicated server software with no one connected should have almost zero load if there are no AI-planes waging a big war between themselves. When I run IL2 server with a bunch of players connected and ships firing at each other you can hardly notice any load on the system, the IL2 server process is like 3-6 percent CPU load. Same with LFS dedicated server that I have run quite a lot on that machine. With 16 connected players the LFS process is at maximum 10% CPU, most of the time at ~5%.

So I'm pretty sure the RoF "Dedicated" server is more or less a normal client process that has directed the output to dev null ;)

EAF92_Brigstock
03-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Your answer is not only unsatisfying it is also totally irrelevant to my question.

We're going round in circles.

I know what dedicated software is, I'm looking for details here.

Q. Does the dedicated software, that I know is ready, include COOP capability
A. Yes, there is dedicated software

How is that helping, it is no answer, no matter what you think.
Are you a politician? if not you should think about it!

Even when linked to an Oleg statement, being told dedicated software will be included is not new news or goes anywhere near what I'm asking. We're on specifics now, not asking if there is dedicated software, whether it is ready yet or even if it will be released with the main game. We're asking about what it includes.

EAF92_Brigstock
03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
@Mazex
I know, RoF dedicated could be a lot better. Mine sits at 30% with no players and just the mission environment running (clouds,wind etc). Saying that though it doesn't increase that much when players start joining.
What does kill it though is any AI activity, so I never run COOP in RoF only DF.

IL2 dedicated is a lot more efficient, I just wish it would run COOP too!
Which is why I'm asking if CoD dedicated will run COOPs.

Feuerfalke
03-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Your answer is not only unsatisfying it is also totally irrelevant to my question.

We're going round in circles.

I know what dedicated software is, I'm looking for details here.

Q. Does the dedicated software, that I know is ready, include COOP capability
A. Yes, there is dedicated software

How is that helping, it is no answer, no matter what you think.
Are you a politician? if not you should think about it!

Even when linked to an Oleg statement, being told dedicated software will be included is not new news or goes anywhere near what I'm asking. We're on specifics now, not asking if there is dedicated software, whether it is ready yet or even if it will be released with the main game. We're asking about what it includes.

You're missing my point entirely.

THERE ARE NO DETAILS YET !!!1shift11eleven

because it's most certainly still being worked on for the reasons stated above and stated by Oleg in the given quote! :rolleyes:

Thee_oddball
03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I will just take a guess and say that a good server will need 8gb Quad core setup 4mbit connection to be able to handle 128 players

Matt255
03-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I will just take a guess and say that a good server will need 8gb Quad core setup 4mbit connection to be able to handle 128 players
More like 10 players.

EAF92_Brigstock
03-20-2011, 06:28 PM
THERE ARE NO DETAILS YET !!!1shift11eleven

because it's most certainly still being worked on for the reasons stated above and stated by Oleg in the given quote! :rolleyes:

Good....effing......lord
We know there have been no details yet.....hence the questions!!!!
If this stuff was known this thread wouldn't be here!!!

The game has gone gold, the server software must be nearly there if not complete. Even if it is still being worked it'll only be minor tweaking.

So a question like what min /recommended spec or if it'll support COOP are totally valid at this point. I can't see stuff like that changing drastically at this point in time.

The game is 2 weeks away and I plan to host a CoD server, which is why I'm interested in mundane stuff like this.

You might have also noted the thread title, a question to Oleg or Luthier rather than one to the forum membership.

Thee_oddball
03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
More like 10 players.
4 kilobytes (32 kilobits) perplayer X 128 =512 Kilobytes X 8 (8 bits per byte) =4.096 megabits :)

EAF92_Brigstock
03-20-2011, 06:33 PM

You might be right there.
Me, I'm aiming more modestly at up to 32 players + some AI and hoping my Quad and 2 gig Ram on 100/100 will do it :)

Given the min spec for the actual game is:

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+
Memory: 2GB

Matt255
03-21-2011, 07:23 AM
4 kilobytes (32 kilobits) perplayer X 128 =512 Kilobytes X 8 (8 bits per byte) =4.096 megabits :)
I would doubt that 32 kb per player is enough for somewhat smooth gameplay, but we'll see.

No601_Merlin
03-21-2011, 09:08 AM
4 kilobytes (32 kilobits) per player X 128 =512 Kilobytes X 8 (8 bits per byte) =4.096 megabits :)

Why do you calc 4 kilobytes (32 kilobits) per player X 128. ?

I thought it was 128 kilobits (16 kilobytes) per player upload.

EAF92_Brigstock
03-21-2011, 10:20 AM

Hi Merlin

Where did you get that info from. That is quite a lot of bandwidth for each player

meshuggahs
03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Hi Merlin

Where did you get that info from. That is quite a lot of bandwidth for each player

I'm guessing from the official system req's:
Multiplay: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

That would mean 16mbit+ just for the incoming data for 128 server wich I don't think is that much.
Taken there's way more data to be transfered with sophisticated damage & flight models etc, than your "normal" multiplayer game.
Don't think anyone would want a server of that size on anything less than a 100mbit connection anyhow.

No601_Merlin
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes got it from official system specs Brigstock, so could anyone recommend a server host. ?

EAF92_Brigstock
03-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes got it from official system specs Brigstock, so could anyone recommend a server host. ?

128kbps+ x 128players = 16mbps+

Which would be comfortable on datacenter hosted dedicated server.

Recommend a server host, if you're in the UK

http://www.gtxgaming.co.uk/dedicated-servers

are good

Feuerfalke
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
The game has gone gold, the server software must be nearly there if not complete. Even if it is still being worked it'll only be minor tweaking.

How do you know? Got some insider information? Or just a personal opinion?

Bobb4
03-21-2011, 07:31 PM

are good
remember that is only up-stream add maybe 1mbps downstream and a 128 player server is going to need more than a 100mbits line :(
But i have faith in Oleg not deviating too far from existing IL2 code :)

If one looks at ROF with its 256kps to 10mbps network settings both up and down...

Feuerfalke
03-21-2011, 07:33 PM

are good

I strongly doubt the basis and the conclusions of this calculation.

A common server for a shooter uses 1600kbps for a 40-slot-server. I seriously hope CoD's netcode is not so bad that it needs over 10 times the traffic for 3 times the players...

Thee_oddball
03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Why do you calc 4 kilobytes (32 kilobits) per player X 128. ?

1946 says 64kbps per player upsteam and i use to run a dedicated server with 22 slots on a 768 upsteam connection from my home with no problem :)

I'm guessing from the official system req's:
Multiplay: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

That would mean 16mbit+ just for the incoming data for 128 server wich I don't think is that much.
Taken there's way more data to be transfered with sophisticated damage & flight models etc, than your "normal" multiplayer game.
Don't think anyone would want a server of that size on anything less than a 100mbit connection anyhow.

i hope your wrong because the last time i checked a 100mbit connection at a data center was close to $500 a month...if you have something cheaper plz post a link :)

are good

that amazing...every where arounf here (chicago) i am getting prices ($500 and up for 100mbit) so high and that does not even include a server :(

Thee_oddball
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM

A common server for a shooter uses 1600kbps for a 40-slot-server. I seriously hope CoD's netcode is not so bad that it needs over 10 times the traffic for 3 times the players...

1600kbps=1.6mbits X 3=4.8mbps...close to what i originally said :) but we dont know how efficient the netcode is so it really is hard to guess :( lets just hope that a 128 person server will be playable at all .

EAF92_Brigstock
03-22-2011, 04:21 PM

We're just throwing numbers around at the moment, not make definitive statements.

The way it looks we won't have anything solid to go on until release.

EAF92_Brigstock
03-22-2011, 04:29 PM
......that amazing...every where arounf here (chicago) i am getting prices ($500 and up for 100mbit) so high and that does not even include a server :(

There is always http://www.gaming-solutions.com/
I used to use the British hosts, but they do Stateside too

Feuerfalke
03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
We're just throwing numbers around at the moment, not make definitive statements.

The way it looks we won't have anything solid to go on until release.

:grin: you flamed me just a page ago for the same conclusion.

I don't like the idea either, but we're not getting any info before the community is able to test it and spreads the news. If Russia will get their version on thursday, we might have some figures at the end of the week - well, if the server is on their disc, of course.

EAF92_Brigstock
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
:grin: you flamed me just a page ago for the same conclusion.

I don't like the idea either, but we're not getting any info before the community is able to test it. If Russia will get their version on thursday, we might have some figures at the end of the week - well, if the server is on their disc, of course.

No not quite the same conclusion. Nor was it strictly a flame. If I was to flame you, the language would have been stronger. I was merely banging my head against a brick wall. You said the community doesn't know after we asked the question of Oleg or Luthier or anyone from 1c for that matter.

My current mood is that it doesn't look like they (1c) will give us an answer despite the fact that the game already gone to the pressing plant. They may still chip in with some info, all I really want to know is will COOP be a feature of the dedicated server. I'm not too worried about bandwidth. If COOP isn't then I need to shop around for a new host.

ATAG_Bliss
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Anyone found any more info regarding dedicated server support for IL2CoD?

With Oleg saying 1000 AI planes in a MP mission are possible (given good enough dedicated software), we really want to be able to recreate the entire Battle of Britain. We kinda like our realism :grin:

Our server specs: (HAL9000)

Two Intel Xeon L5640 processors (twelve physical 2.26ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo)
48 GB DDR3 ECC memory
1000mbps (1 gigabyte per second) upload/download bandwidth

Any chance those that have gotten the game already could take some screen shots of the dedicated software layout screens / options / settings for those of us hosters? It would be gladly appreciated!

Sorry if this was brought up before, but this is where the search feature brought me.

Cheers!