PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer - The most hardcore sims - IL2 COD #1

Heliocon
02-28-2011, 08:42 PM
First of all sorry guys, I know you probably impulsivly clicked on the thread because it had hardcore in the title... I think its a little premature for PC gamer, but figured I would link it here anyway.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/27/the-most-hardcore-sim-developers-on-pc/

tillobert
02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I love the picture they used;)

choctaw111
02-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for sharing.
There are some other really nice titles in there.

TheGrunch
02-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I know, thanks for posting the article anyway, some of those look fun. Every time we go in a game store my mate always looks at Railworks 2, but he doesn't want to buy it in case he doesn't actually enjoy hardcore train sims. I'll have to link him to OpenVBE.

Good to see CoD getting a mention in what I remember as a very good gaming magazine. Whether it still is I'm not sure, haven't read for a while.

Defender
03-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Great post, thanks.

White Owl
03-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Where the mainstream designer looks at a Battle of Britain dogfight and thinks, “My audience are impatient and inept; what can I add and what can I take away to ensure I entertain them?” the serious sim-smith thinks “My audience is smart and willing to apply themselves; how much raw truth can I capture and convey?” Hardcore sims exude respect.

That's a great paragraph.

It's too bad the author didn't catch the last-minute name change or even get the old name correct. He calls it Battle of Britain: Storm of War.

TheGrunch
03-01-2011, 02:43 AM
It's from a fairly old (in game development terms anyway ;) ) article in the magazine, apparently. It's only just been published online.

tintifaxl
03-01-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm missing BIS with ARMA 2 - but a nice article nonetheless.

SsSsSsSsSnake
03-01-2011, 06:58 AM
coming your way by autumn it said :)Nearing the end of a five-year developmental odyssey. Battle of Britain: Storm of War, the true sequel to IL-2, should be with us by the autumn. Stupendous cockpit recreations, Regia Aeronautica exotica and tutorials flown in authentic Tiger Moths are some of the treats in store.

Novotny
03-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Tim Stone rocks.

Matt255
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Great article.

They still list NeoQb (which is now 777) and the text is like one year old.

Doping the canvas and tightening the wires of two new payware crates (a Nieuport 11 and a Albatros D.II), as well as applying the finishing touches to a new dogfight MP mode.

I guess someone was bored and had to combine some old articles to this summary. That would also explain the autumn release of "Battle of Britain: Storm of War".

Defender
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
DCS aircraft is the KA-50, not 52. Huge MASSIVE difference between those birds;

"The fabulous Frogfoot in Lock On adjunct Flaming Cliffs, and the OMG-look-at-all-those-switches Ka-52 helo in Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark are two genre crown jewels."

Technical mistakes aside, still a nice read vs the latest FPS title.