PDA

View Full Version : Future CoD devopment.

Flying Pencil
02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I know, don't have the game out yet, but I bet Oleg is already planning out CoD2.

I would really hope they can release a free update that gives playable versions of the AI aircraft, THIS YEAR (Christmas present? :) ). (Reality is will likely be a paid upgrade, but I still hope they can get it out this year.)

In a major release (next year) I want ability to crew most of the vehicles, especially the ships, and man AA guns, and a fully dynamic online campaign where it will be possible to defeat the RAF and open up a path for Sea Lowe.
For that, will need early 1941 units added too, such as the Do-217e and Ju-88c, 109F's and Spit 2, Hurri2 as campaign progressed in (accelerated) time.

Biggs
02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I know, don't have the game out yet, but I bet Oleg is already planning out CoD2.

I would really hope they can release a free update that gives playable versions of the AI aircraft, THIS YEAR (Christmas present? :) ). (Reality is will likely be a paid upgrade, but I still hope they can get it out this year.)

In a major release (next year) I want ability to crew most of the vehicles, especially the ships, and man AA guns, and a fully dynamic online campaign where it will be possible to defeat the RAF and open up a path for Sea Lowe.
For that, will need early 1941 units added too, such as the Do-217e and Ju-88c, 109F's and Spit 2, Hurri2 as campaign progressed in (accelerated) time.

You certainly are getting ahead of yourself there...

I believe the closest Oleg has gotten to talking about the next installment would possibly be the Med. but he also mentioned allowing 3rd party addons (certified by Oleg's team) to be added into CoD...
And on top of that there is always to possibility of the team themselves adding more planes to the game.

Most likely the following months after CoDs release will be spent on fixes and further optimizing, and gradual releases of more graphic features that have been held back. I feel that the actual addon of more game content like Planes and campaigns wont be for quite some time.

Tacoma74
02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
It's been hinted that the next big installment will be the Mediterranean theater. However, i do like your idea. It wouldn't require a new map, just new planes. The map might need to be updated a bit however. And possibly an option for different seasons of the year wouldn't be too hard? All of this would probably have to be third party of coarse, as Oleg and team will probably get to work ASAP on the next installment (after this one is solid of coarse). But we can all dream... ;)

Flying Pencil
02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
You certainly are getting ahead of yourself there...

I believe the closest Oleg has gotten to talking about the next installment would possibly be the Med. but he also mentioned allowing 3rd party addons (certified by Oleg's team) to be added into CoD...
And on top of that there is always to possibility of the team themselves adding more planes to the game.

Most likely the following months after CoDs release will be spent on fixes and further optimizing, and gradual releases of more graphic features that have been held back. I feel that the actual addon of more game content like Planes and campaigns wont be for quite some time.

It's been hinted that the next big installment will be the Mediterranean theater. However, i do like your idea. It wouldn't require a new map, just new planes. The map might need to be updated a bit however. And possibly an option for different seasons of the year wouldn't be too hard? All of this would probably have to be third party of coarse, as Oleg and team will probably get to work ASAP on the next installment (after this one is solid of coarse). But we can all dream... ;)

I am COMPLETELY AGAINST a Mediterranean theater at this time.

They have at least 2 years they can refine CoD, more aircraft and other vehicles, most of which can then be dressed up for other theaters.

As Biggs said, getting third parties in on this will be vital for the future life of game.

COME to think about it, hows about if the Med was all done by 3ed party with Oleg only laying the ground work and direction, kind of like "Target Tobruk"? (died due to lack of real leadership)

The Kraken
02-22-2011, 06:24 PM
There won't be any free planes added given the amount of work required (even if AI is already there), and I sure hope they won't waste time with playable ships or tanks as this is an area that they have no experience in, will require a lot of work and result in questionable gameplay value. I don't see the point of making another "Battleground Europe" at all (in fact I can't see the point of the original one either ;)).

If some 3rd party is interested in adding stuff, fine. And AAA guns sure could be fun, but this is pretty much where it ends for me. There are already enough interesting and important additions to the flight sim part that will never happen, even without diverting resources to different areas.

David603
02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Oleg has already invested in a bunch of Italian aircraft that had only a tiny impact on the BoB theatre, and an army of early-mid war British and German ground units that had no impact at all on the BoB (except the AA guns).

All of these would however be essential in a Mediterranean/North Africa theatre sim, and reinforce the more or less open secret that the first sequel is going to be set in the Med.

Of course, with the third in the series (specifically referred to by Oleg as the third, and being developed by a new team that has recieved a grant from the Russian goverment to develop a "Great Patriotic War" simulator) already having been announced as Il2: Battle for Moscow, and Luthier's Project Galba (based in the Korean War) already having had most of the 3D models made, I think it is safe to say the future of the series is thoroughly planned out.

Of course, there might be 3rd Party additions to flesh out the period after the Battle of Britain, after all, the ground work has already been done (literally :grin:), and all that would be needed are the aircraft. There are already several models that have been lying around for years now waiting for SoW that would fit this gap, assuming the projects are still alive (Typhoon and Lancaster are two examples), and I'm sure the Il2 modding community will jump into action once the third party tool kit becomes available.

Also, some of the needed aircraft will arrive as a by-product of the Med expansion, IE Bf109F, Spitfire V, Hurricane II.

JG53Frankyboy
02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
as i often said in the past:
first i would like to see an interim smaller pay-for-adon like Dieppe 42.
Same map as BoB (or perhaps with small edits) and a nice planeset, examples:
Hurricane Mk.IIc Hurribomer
Spitfire Mk.Vb
Spitfire F.Mk.IXc
Typhoon Mk.Ib
Whirlwind Mk.I
Mustang Mk.I
Boston Mk.III
B-17E

Bf109G-1
Fw190A-3
Do217E

Fw190s, Later Spitfires, Mustangs (even with allison), B-17..anyone ?? ;)

than the "Big Step" with a 'new' game( Standalone with the possibilty to be merged with the forrunners), IL2:Tobruk. I personaly would prefer a 1941 one (i like crapplanes ;) ). But than the mighty Spitfire would be missing :D , so, most propably a 1942 one.
I dont think we will get a Med scenario from 1940 to 1943 in one release..........

JG53Frankyboy
02-22-2011, 07:52 PM
my "original" idea for a SoW:Med (<- :D ) in the past was:

SoW:MTO for 1940/41

Libya/Cyreneika and Sicily/Malta maps

Bf109E-7/Trop
Bf110D
Ju87B/R
Ju88A-5
He111H with Torpedoarmament available

G.50
Cr.42
MC.200
SM.79-II
Br.20M
Ba.65 <- doutbfull, any sources of cockpits ?

Gladiator II
Hurricane Ia Vokes
Hurricane IIb Vokes
Tomahawk IIb
Blenheim IV
Wellington Ic
SeaGladiator
Fulmar II
SeaHurricane Ib
Swordfish

For FAA operations:
Carriers
HMS Illustrious
HMS Eagle
HMS Audacity :D

Totaly new would be:
MC.200
Tomahawk
Fulmar
Swordfish
SM.79
Ba.65

The rest would be modifications from the SoW:BoB ( now IL2:CoD ;) ) planes.
Ju88A-5 would actually be very differ from Ju88A-1 , espacially in cockpit.

as a later MTO AdOn: “Tobruk-1942”

Bf109F-4/Trop
Bf109F-4/B/Trop
Bf109G-2/Trop
Ju87D-1

Mc202_VII

Hurricane Mk.IIc Vokes
Hurricane Mk.IId Vokes
Spitfire Mk.Vc Abukir
Kittyhawk Mk.III
P-40F
Boston Mk.III
Baltimore Mk.III

but as i said, IF like this, the Spitfire would missing in the first MTO release....you dont thinkthat will happen, do you ?? :D
Future will tell...

White Owl
02-23-2011, 01:52 AM
As long as we're all dreaming about days to come...

I love landing on aircraft carriers, so I hope and hope and hope again that a Pacific Theater expansion becomes possible. I know about the difficulties with certain aircraft manufacturers. But I still hope.

Flying Pencil
02-23-2011, 04:19 AM
As long as we're all dreaming about days to come...

I love landing on aircraft carriers, so I hope and hope and hope again that a Pacific Theater expansion becomes possible. I know about the difficulties with certain aircraft manufacturers. But I still hope.

Could be in Med?

Well, granted I do not know all that CoD will have, it still looks like it can be developed quite a bit more before moving on.

Just my 2 demerits. :|

IceFire
02-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Could be in Med?

Well, granted I do not know all that CoD will have, it still looks like it can be developed quite a bit more before moving on.

Just my 2 demerits. :|

There isn't much more to develop for The Battle of Britain. Cliffs of Dover will, content wise, have a more complete Battle of Britain than any other game that I'm aware of. It would be possible to do a Dieppe timeline which would require quite a few new variants of aircraft and some all new types. I wouldn't mind seeing it but I think the North Africa scenario makes the most sense.

It draws directly on quite a few types that are already completed but only need minor to moderate modifications and then adds maybe a half dozen to a dozen more types.

In any case the rumors suggest that a third party will be working on Battle for Moscow which will take us back to the East Front, Oleg's team will be working on North Africa and Ilya's team will be working on Korea.

Whatever they have planned it's definitely already been worked out. We've even seen some fantastic WIP efforts with the F-86, F-51, Yak-9P and Po-2.

BigMorgan
02-24-2011, 09:11 PM
By 3rd parties do you guys mean user-made content, or outside professional development in the form of expansions or DLC?

JG53Frankyboy
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
both, all stuf that does not come from 1C Maddox team.

Maddox would like to see if developers like accusim http://www.a2asimulations.com/accusim.html would produce for his engine ! at least he mentioned that in an old interview.

JAMF
02-25-2011, 11:33 AM
There isn't much more to develop for The Battle of Britain. Cliffs of Dover will, content wise, have a more complete Battle of Britain than any other game that I'm aware of.He didn't mention BoB, so one could think he meant for the theatre of operation. So adding more aircraft maybe, or adding a map that's shifted away from England that has more France wit Paris?

BadgerSmedly
02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
The expansion route from even the patched release for the first CoD variant is still very big. You don't have to go that far and certainly not outside NW Europe. There's the East Anglian coast, the SW coast, anti shipping all along the Channel. There's lots to do just between 1940 and 1941 in this area! :grin:

When it is time to move on I'm looking forward to the AC sets not currently in the 1946 official set to show their faces (Sea hurricane etc.).

As for development; as a punter I'll purchase any approved addon/developed planeset/etc. from an approved 1C software house. The more participants and the faster the delivery the better, but as long as they are quality controlled. :)

Good thread Mr Pencil! :)

Flying Pencil
02-25-2011, 02:12 PM
There isn't much more to develop for The Battle of Britain. Cliffs of Dover will, content wise, have a more complete Battle of Britain than any other game that I'm aware of.
In any case the rumors suggest that a third party will be working on Battle for Moscow which will take us back to the East Front, Oleg's team will be working on North Africa and Ilya's team will be working on Korea.

Considering 1/2 the airplanes in CoD are non flyable (AI), we have SHIPS that are non playable, and as far as I can see their are no targets on continent to RAF retaliatory bombing strikes (correct me if I am wrong).

Open your mind, expand the possibilities, it is easy to add huge amounts of versatility and playability to just CoD.

The best part is it would make "The Med" much better becuase most of work is done, so most of that effort will be terrain and variants of everything already done, a huge task in its own right.

The expansion route from even the patched release for the first CoD variant is still very big. You don't have to go that far and certainly not outside NW Europe. There's the East Anglian coast, the SW coast, anti shipping all along the Channel. There's lots to do just between 1940 and 1941 in this area! :grin:

When it is time to move on I'm looking forward to the AC sets not currently in the 1946 official set to show their faces (Sea hurricane etc.).

As for development; as a punter I'll purchase any approved addon/developed planeset/etc. from an approved 1C software house. The more participants and the faster the delivery the better, but as long as they are quality controlled. :)

Good thread Mr Pencil! :)

Thanks. :D

Chivas
02-25-2011, 05:48 PM
There should be plenty of targets in France to keep the RAF busy, and I'm sure there will user made campaigns doing just that soon after release.

JG53Frankyboy
02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Battle of the Barges :)

Chivas
02-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Battle of the Barges :)

Yes. :) I'm also looking forward to train busting, etc, the targets will be limitless.