PDA

View Full Version : Sim vs Game plus opportunity

Uriah
02-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I have it in my head the MS is no longer going to do anything with flight simming. At least not with Combat flight simming. Regardless I was thinking there is a lot of SIM in this game, but it is not designed to be a flight sim in regards to teaching people how to fly specific civi planes like MS Flight Sim software. But, CoD will have one of the best flight physics in existence. Maybe Oleg could make some more money by using CoD as a basis for a FLIGHT SIM like what MS makes. Just thinking about how Oleg and crew can make more money so they can make more improvements to CoD in the future.

David603
02-21-2011, 12:05 AM
I believe the plan is to licence the game engine to other developers. Oleg said he had received interest from developers wishing to use the engine to make other flight sims and even a "Crimson Skies" style arcade game.

Of course, someone might want to make a FSX style flight simulator on the engine, but Oleg's stated intention was that his own team will continue to develop combat flight simulators based in and around WWII.

speculum jockey
02-21-2011, 12:15 AM
MS Flight and X-Plane will probably have the civilian market cornered. Trying to get a piece of that smallish pie would be quite a feat.

WTE_Galway
02-21-2011, 12:52 AM
The better FM and DM is not really that relevant when you are trying to setup a visual approach to 27R at O'hare using your sectionals as a reference :D

I suspect the two "non-combat" areas Oleg's new sim may excel at are:

1) Air Racing

2) Aerobatics

ptisinge
02-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Microsoft Flight is in development, Xplane 10 too, and Aerosoft announced their intention to do a civilian sim too, so the market is going to be quite busy already. Oleg should probably better explore other niches (his idea of extending to ground and sea war sim in addition to being an aerial one sounds great in that regards, bringing us a more complex ArmA set in the WWII, I'd buy that). Anyway, I'd guess the most secure option for him is to extend the content and release expansions just as he did for IL-2, this is sure to work again.

BP_Tailspin
02-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Oleg said he had received interest from developers wishing to use the engine to make other flight sims and even a "Crimson Skies" style arcade game.

Crimson Skies was the best game/sim out there, hours of entertainment.

Skoshi Tiger
02-21-2011, 05:17 AM
[Tower] "Spitfire Sierra Uniform Xray, your cleared to enter pattern on long final behind white Cessna"

[Skoshi tiger]"Sierra Uniform Xray!" (Sound of two Hispano Cannon being cocked)

This idea does have some merrit! ;)

Sauf
02-21-2011, 07:53 AM
The better FM and DM is not really that relevant when you are trying to setup a visual approach to 27R at O'hare using your sectionals as a reference :D

I suspect the two "non-combat" areas Oleg's new sim may excel at are:

1) Air Racing

2) Aerobatics

Just my opinion, but i think a "Red Bull" style air racing game would be popular with the younger crowd, especially if it included the correct course's in all the different countries, and was marketed at the race meetings themselves.

PeterPanPan
02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
[Tower] "Spitfire Sierra Uniform Xray, your cleared to enter pattern on long final behind white Cessna"

[Skoshi tiger]"Sierra Uniform Xray!" (Sound of two Hispano Cannon being cocked)

This idea does have some merrit! ;)

LOL, very funny :grin: +1

BP_Tailspin
02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Air Racing

Count me in :-)

IceFire
02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Hopefully there are some air racing pylons and objects to use for Cliffs of Dover. I can already see the Su-26 being a very interesting air racer in addition to aerobatics work.

Of course I'd be just as interested to race a Tiger Moth :D

yellonet
02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Crimson Skies was the best game/sim out there, hours of entertainment.
Wow, I had completely forgotten about that gem, thanks for the reminder! :)
Now where's that disc...