PDA

View Full Version : It is so frustrating ...

highness
02-18-2011, 01:45 AM
-to still see a basic homepage on ubisoft's dedicated website as the what it would supposed to be the "official website" of the game, that is supposed to describe in details its features and content, such as each flyable aircraft, and showing off astonishing visual material such as screenshots and videos and more, despite of the close / presumed to be "release" date.

-too hear unfunded/unconfirmed rumors about the possible delayed release date change that has emerged lately.

-to see so very little of visual material that has been made available so far at all. (all screenshots and videos from all combined sources etc)

-to not see a "friday update" (as it has happened last week).

-to not hear official dev's statments.

what else?

anyways, i'm keeping myself busy by having fun with RealFlight G5.5 here ... :-)

Kikuchiyo
02-18-2011, 02:51 AM
-to still see a basic homepage on ubisoft's dedicated website as the what it would supposed to be the "official website" of the game, that is supposed to describe in details its features and content, such as each flyable aircraft, and showing off astonishing visual material such as screenshots and videos and more, despite of the close / presumed to be "release" date.

-too hear unfunded/unconfirmed rumors about the possible delayed release date change that has emerged lately.

-to see so very little of visual material that has been made available so far at all. (all screenshots and videos from all combined sources etc)

-to not see a "friday update" (as it has happened last week).

-to not hear official dev's statments.

what else?

anyways, i'm keeping myself busy by having fun with RealFlight G5.5 here ... :-)

Yeah, Ubi is really dropping the ball on promoting Il-2:CoD. I really hope they get their act together quickly. I hope to hear some of this info in tomorrows dev update. Last week we knew might be a bust because they had another convention they went to, but the info we got out of it was pretty cool and exciting.

I really hope to get some clear up on the maybe release push back, and am sure that if it does get pushed back we will get at least some of those missing features we've all be lamenting over put back in.

4H_V-man
02-18-2011, 03:10 AM
What do you expect? It's Ubisoft. I just hope they get their sh!t together before they kill this sim.

Chivas
02-18-2011, 03:17 AM
I feel your pain, but we have seen more than a few screenshots and videos. The marketing will start in earnest when they know exactly what they are marketing. They are in the last few weeks of tweaking, optimizing, to see what stays and what's cut for the initial release. Remember the fiasco when they marketed aircraft that were cut in the last minute in Pacific Fighters.

The sim should go gold in a few weeks, if there are no delays, and we will see all the new videos based on the initial release, along with reviews, and interviews with the developers. I know SimHq will have an interview posted in the next week or two.

White Owl
02-18-2011, 03:32 AM
It does give the impression that Ubi started the roll-out of this product before they were ready. I'm guessing some bigwig stated the game absolutely must release by March, but neglected to delegate the necessary resources to make it happen. That bigwig has now either completely forgotten about the project, or is blaming all his subordinates for the failure. (Bigwigs everywhere are the same, you understand.)

I actually hope the game is delayed. It would be better to see the release pushed back a few months, and then released this spring or summer with a proper marketing campaign instead of this rushed, half-assed incompetent mess. We've all waited several years for this game; a few more months won't hurt anybody.

recoilfx
02-18-2011, 04:02 AM
I am pretty much sure that Ubisoft is not showing much because there is nothing much to show to the general public.

It's obvious that 1C is doing their best assembling and optimizing their code base so it's hard for them to get everything in order to look and play like a finished game.

Plus, I think Ubisoft isn't going to allocate that much marketing resources for a niche game, we are not going to have a final website till probably really close to launch. If they spend all their resources now, they will have much less to work with at the launch of the game.

Skoshi Tiger
02-18-2011, 04:23 AM
It does give the impression that Ubi started the roll-out of this product before they were ready. I'm guessing some bigwig stated the game absolutely must release by March, but neglected to delegate the necessary resources to make it happen. That bigwig has now either completely forgotten about the project, or is blaming all his subordinates for the failure. (Bigwigs everywhere are the same, you understand.)

I actually hope the game is delayed. It would be better to see the release pushed back a few months, and then released this spring or summer with a proper marketing campaign instead of this rushed, half-assed incompetent mess. We've all waited several years for this game; a few more months won't hurt anybody.

This is what you must expect when the release date was released by what seams like an accident.

But the good thing is we're all arguing about release dates now and not cloud bottoms and shades of green! :)

Cheers!

Hood
02-18-2011, 06:00 AM
The only worthwhile contribution I can add to this is....

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Hood

LukeFF
02-18-2011, 08:25 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

the Dutchman
02-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Obviously Ubi doesn't take flightsimmers serious.....................:evil:

speculum jockey
02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Plus, I think Ubisoft isn't going to allocate that much marketing resources for a niche game, we are not going to have a final website till probably really close to launch. If they spend all their resources now, they will have much less to work with at the launch of the game.

This right here!

Going to the N.American Ubisoft site I'm met with a flash bar with 15 titles. Every single one of them is a Console title. About 1/2 of them are ported to the PC. This should be all the proof you need that COD will be a "redheaded-stepchild that crazy abusive daddy keeps locked in the basement". They, like most publishers now are fixated on consoles and the initial "big bucks sales". They care about titles that ship a few million the first week, not some title that might ship 100,000 over a 10 year period, 90% of those sales at a discounted rate years after initial release.

What might really hurt COD is the way Ubisoft sells it.

If Ubisoft don't make it avaliable to people at the same time, in physical and downloadable formats then there is the chance that people will pirate it in larger numbers. It's that initial week where you make a most of your sales (for most games) and if Europe is playing it for 2 weeks before N. American and Australia, then you're going to see a lot of people who can't wait and say to themselves. . . .

"I want this game so bad, and everyone is playing it, maybe I'll just download it, play it for a week, and then buy it when it's avaliable."

They download, play it, and when it hits stores or their favourite download site they don't bother deleting the pirated version and skip the legit copy.

It's happened before, and could happen again. With a little bit of planning Ubisoft could avoid losing some of those "on the fence" players.

Krt_Bong
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
We also have to remember that we are a "special" group. We know far more to some extent than do most Gamers about the development of this game than most do about other mainstream titles, usually you read somewhere about a title going gold before you ever hear anything about the game other than a few tidbits of info that has indicated that it's being developed, with the exception of maybe Duke Nukem Forever no other title has had so many champing at the bit for information and that's what is bad about it we have known this was coming for Years and now we're so impatient for info it's driving us all mad. The Webpage will probably be ready when the game is there is nothing to do for it right now, do you know of any other title in development that has a working website up and no indication of release date?

addman
02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
If ubisoft could pull off a trailer like the Dead Island one then maybe CoD would get some more attention. Dead Island is a game that's been in development for quite some time but a lot of people -including me- hadn't heard about it until a couple of days ago. It could actually be the best game trailer I've ever seen because most game trailers are to be fair, xxxx. This is 5-star viral marketing, no expensive TV-ads, no posters just a darned good online trailer. Now remember, this game was quite unknown until a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

swiss
02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
$100,000 over a 10 year period,

Who would care about $100k or even $1mio over a 10 year period? That's not even peanuts.

speculum jockey
02-18-2011, 01:26 PM
If ubisoft could pull off a trailer like the Dead Island one then maybe CoD would get some more attention. Dead Island is a game that's been in development for quite some time but a lot of people -including me- hadn't heard about it until a couple of days ago. It could actually be the best game trailer I've ever seen because most game trailers are to be fair, xxxx. This is 5-star viral marketing, no expensive TV-ads, no posters just a darned good online trailer. Now remember, this game was quite unknown until a few days ago.

Problem with this line of reasoning is that the publishers were willing to spend money to make that video to promote dead island. I don't think that UBI is willing to spend money on the bandwidth to even email game sites a press package.

Who would care about $100k or even $1mio over a 10 year period? That's not even peanuts.

Didn't mean to add that "$" there. Meant 100,000 copies.

CharveL
02-18-2011, 02:20 PM
If I recall correctly - which I couldn't say with any certainty - the deal with Ubisoft is only for distribution. The marketing aspect is up to 1C and I'm sure they have stuff coming but I'm betting they want to clean up and tweak a few things first.

Either way don't expect a Call of Duty type marketing campaign anyway as there just isn't a budget for that. There's still a month to go and don't figure just because we may be on the edge of our seats for it that Joe Consolegamer is even aware of IL2's existence.

Vilifying UBI with sophomoric "corporate bigwigs" stereotypes is simply not very realistic to the actual situation or conducive to relevant discussion but vent away if it helps you pass the time.

speculum jockey
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
If I recall correctly - which I couldn't say with any certainty - the deal with Ubisoft is only for distribution. The marketing aspect is up to 1C and I'm sure they have stuff coming but I'm betting they want to clean up and tweak a few things first.

So Ubisoft is going to rely on 1C to do the marketing world wide?

That's so nice of 1C to spend money on advertising in markets they have no access to because Ubisoft has the the distribution rights to them.

Tree_UK
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Optimizing basically means taking more stuff out the game to try and get it to run.

whatnot
02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Optimizing basically means taking more stuff out the game to try and get it to run.

In computer science, program optimization or software optimization is the process of modifying a software system to make some aspect of it work more efficiently or use fewer resources. In general, a computer program may be optimized so that it executes more rapidly, or is capable of operating with less memory storage or other resources, or draw less power.

Chivas
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
In computer science, program optimization or software optimization is the process of modifying a software system to make some aspect of it work more efficiently or use fewer resources. In general, a computer program may be optimized so that it executes more rapidly, or is capable of operating with less memory storage or other resources, or draw less power.

I agree, but along with optimizing they've had to remove some features for better frame rates. I'm sure Tree understands this, he just enjoys twisting meanings for another opportunity to trash the developers.

whatnot
02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I agree, but along with optimizing they've had to remove some features for better frame rates. I'm sure Tree understands this, he just enjoys twisting meanings for another opportunity to trash the developers.

Yep, perferfectly aware of this. But posted just because:

A) There are readers on this forum too new to be aware of the 'Tree-ism'
B) A wiki-slap always feels good, especially when a term in question is so violated as in this context. I seriously doubt any features are being dropped anymore this late as even the leaked beta showed pretty good fps's on a mid-range pc during low level flight.

:cool:

Tree_UK
02-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Thats why we are being inundated with all the official in game video's a month away from release. :grin: