PDA

View Full Version : pc test

Sauf
02-11-2011, 09:14 PM
First of all i only play IL-2 so am very vague when it comes to newer games out there, was wondering if anyone could tell me what is a graphically intense game that is out at the moment so i can download a demo and get a rough idea of how my pc will handle it? I do realise that it will have no bearing on COD but it will at least give me an idea of where i stand atm.

Cheers Sauf

theGoose
02-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Why not try some becnhmarks like 3D Mark Vantage or Unigene Heaven?

Sauf
02-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi Goose, thx for reply, i have used 3D mark before, was about 2 years ago when i got this pc, and to be honest i dont really understand the score rating stuff, i know my pc is dated and thought that running a modern graphic intense game on it will give me a better idea of what my pc is/isnt capable of

Thx again

Oldschool61
02-11-2011, 09:50 PM
First of all i only play IL-2 so am very vague when it comes to newer games out there, was wondering if anyone could tell me what is a graphically intense game that is out at the moment so i can download a demo and get a rough idea of how my pc will handle it? I do realise that it will have no bearing on COD but it will at least give me an idea of where i stand atm.

Cheers Sauf

Download "crysis" demo that should bring your pc to its knees!!

Sauf
02-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Thx for that Oldschool but after a bit of googling i just read that a game called "metro 2033" is the new benchmark having taken over from cyrisis, its set in moscow ironically, dl'ing demo now, hopefully my pc can run on minimised and it will at least give me an idea of where i stand atm.

Coen020
02-11-2011, 10:29 PM
yes, metro 2033 is indeed a beautiful game, thus a nightmare for pc's luckily i could run it maxed out. perhaps you should try A.R.M.A 2 aswell, i believe it has a demo aswell.

Ploughman
02-11-2011, 11:35 PM
ARMA 2 is the only thing that gives me hope. I've a Q6600, GT9800 and 4gb of RAM on Vista32 and ARMA 2 runs like a beautifully rendered dream.

speculum jockey
02-11-2011, 11:52 PM
yes, metro 2033 is indeed a beautiful game, thus a nightmare for pc's luckily i could run it maxed out. perhaps you should try A.R.M.A 2 aswell, i believe it has a demo aswell.

ARMA 2 is a good suggestion. It's a game that is both CPU and GPU intensive and will give you a pretty good idea. . . but that's all it will give us since nobody here (save Oleg and Luthier) have the game.

The best thing for the OP to do is wait for the game to come out! Don't cash in your old system, don't buy a new system, just wait and see!

The OP or anyone could build a new system right now, a kick-ass system that will run SOW maxed out, but you'd feel pretty foolish if Intel/AMD/Nvidia/ATI decided to have a price war or some sort of big sale and you spend more money than you needed to.

PC components go down in price the longer you wait. A month and a half might make a hundred, or three hundred dollar difference, or maybe something might get released that has even better performance at a reasonable price.

Basically what I'm advocating is try benchmarking your patience instead of clicking "Buy Now" on something that might be a rash decision.

Sauf
02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Yep Spec Jock I do realise that, wan't planning on buying anything atm, its early on a sat morning here and lacking a friday update to peruse through i thought id just run the demo to give myself a rough idea of how it will perform for want of anything else to do. Will definatley give ARMA 2 a go aswell.

ps, still downloading

blampars
02-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Metro 2033, Mafia 2, dirt 2 would all be good demos to test your system. X3 benchmark demo is pretty hardcore benchmark. I still use that to test systems. Mafia 2 demo has a nice benchmarking sequence in it too so you can see what kind of performance you get.

Metro is a really great game. If your PC can handle it you might consider purchasing it.

I just noticed you said something about running minimized. Don't benchmark in windowed mode, you'll not get an accurate benchmark compared to full screen benchmarks.