PDA

View Full Version : Server Requirements?

Waffenator
02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Any news on what will need to have a maxed out player server is terms of server specs and bandwidth?

Troll2k
02-08-2011, 11:32 AM
The original dedicated server(2.04) used about 2KB(not Kb) per client.
The 4.0 dedicated server upped that usage to 4KB(not Kb) per client.

As they are still optimizing the code I would not expect any specs until it goes gold.

The IL2 series has had some of the best net code I have experienced online.

Aloko
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
The original dedicated server(2.04) used about 2KB(not Kb) per client.
The 4.0 dedicated server upped that usage to 4KB(not Kb) per client.

As they are still optimizing the code I would not expect any specs until it goes gold.

The IL2 series has had some of the best net code I have experienced online.

+1 and I guess it's part of the success of IL2.
Plus it was possible for anyone with a spare PC with very low specs to host COOP with dsl lines.

I can't wait to be part of a coop with 128 slots filled :cool: this is going to be an experience :grin:

T}{OR
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
+1 and I guess it's part of the success of IL2.
Plus it was possible for anyone with a spare PC with very low specs to host COOP with dsl lines.

I can't wait to be part of a coop with 128 slots filled :cool: this is going to be an experience :grin:

Trust me - IL2 with over 60-70 people in one mission wasn't a smooth ride. Massive lag spikes and problems. You do need an extremely powerful server to overcome these issues.

I am very much looking forward to the new server software.

Aloko
02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Trust me - IL2 with over 60-70 people in one mission wasn't a smooth ride. Massive lag spikes and problems. You do need an extremely powerful server to overcome these issues.

I am very much looking forward to the new server software.

Hmm... I dont think IL2:FB was meant to be run with more than 32 players, that's probably one of the reason it was laggy as you said.

I do remember I was hosting 26 players COOP every sunday night with a dedicated Athlon 2600, 2Gb ram and a 1Mb upload dsl connection with no problem.

I've never flown more than 32 players (I stopped playing a few years ago, never tried any modded IL2 for example).

Like you Im looking forward the new server functions but were I live now I wont be able to host anything with more than me :grin::grin::grin:

ATAG_Bliss
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't know what the requirements are, but if our dedicated server can't host 128 players smoothly, nothing can. We'll probably be running several MP Full switch servers.

Specs:
Two Intel Xeon L5640 processors (twelve physical 2.26ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo)
12 GB registered DDR3 ECC memory
most importantly - 1000mbps connection (1 Gigabyte per second) in both upload and download speed bandwidth all on fiber optic cable connected directly to one of the main trunk lines of the internet in Chicago.

I'd say we're ready :cool:

Waffenator
02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't know what the requirements are, but if our dedicated server can't host 128 players smoothly, nothing can. We'll probably be running several MP Full switch servers.

Specs:

I'd say we're ready :cool:

What is the max ping that will still make IL2 Playable in your opinion?

Nice setup. We will just be going for 1 128 player server and see how it goes.

Troll2k
02-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Ping is not as important as consistency.

Early on when dialup was still prevalent a guy used to come on my server with a ping of 800.But it was a rock solid 800.It never varied and he never had a problem.However those with much lower pings that spiked up and down would often have lag or connection problems.

I think it is more a problem of packet loss than time(ping).

ATAG_Bliss
02-09-2011, 05:46 AM
What is the max ping that will still make IL2 Playable in your opinion?

Nice setup. We will just be going for 1 128 player server and see how it goes.

I think what Troll2k said is correct. 300-400 Pings in IL2 still kept for a no lag situation online. As long as the server and client both have a constant, stable connection, ping isn't that much of an issue. (at least it wasn't in IL2)

As far as the server specs requirement, IL2 didn't take much of a machine to provide a nice smooth environment (90 players), but in Cliffs of Dover, I would only expect it be a much better machine. With 20x the physics of IL2 alone, I would think CPU power would have to be fairly good for a dedicated machine in the new sim. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

JAMF
02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I wonder if in CoD we'll see an aircraft follow the curved path it was on.
So not a straight line and the rotations it had in the last packet, like in IL2. :)

Waffenator
02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I think what Troll2k said is correct. 300-400 Pings in IL2 still kept for a no lag situation online. As long as the server and client both have a constant, stable connection, ping isn't that much of an issue. (at least it wasn't in IL2)

As far as the server specs requirement, IL2 didn't take much of a machine to provide a nice smooth environment (90 players), but in Cliffs of Dover, I would only expect it be a much better machine. With 20x the physics of IL2 alone, I would think CPU power would have to be fairly good for a dedicated machine in the new sim. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Right now I am leaning towards a dual 1156 socket motherboard. Starting out with i7 950's and moving up to hexcore or xeon if need be. Not dead set on the solution yet, still waiting for feedback here and over at overclocking.net

T}{OR
02-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Right now I am leaning towards a dual 1156 socket motherboard. Starting out with i7 950's and moving up to hexcore or xeon if need be. Not dead set on the solution yet, still waiting for feedback here and over at overclocking.net

You mean 1366. :) I would suggest waiting for the 1155 socket to sort its problems or some news about the new Bulldozer which are rumored to be announced this month and released in Q2.

Even i5 2500k beats that i7 950, not to mention its price.

Troll2k
02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
The Il2 dedicated server software ran in a dos box.No audio,video or inputs.it did not take a lot of horsepower to make a good server.What was needed was a good,stable upload speed of about 4KB per client.

I feel that a lot of problems people had with joining servers with more than 64 people was not the fault of the server but f the client machine.Not necessarily the internet.You have to remember that the client machine has to not only keep track of all 64 players (and objects,triggers etc) but render them as well(at least the planes in view and the textures below).So the client machine had to be pretty stout to run with a lot of planes.

But at the moment this is all speculation until we get the new(and hopefully improved) dedicated server software.

As a side not a couple of sites have changed the preorder date to 3/3/11 (or 3/3/11 for the Europeans).So the server software may be even closer to release.

No601_Merlin
02-13-2011, 12:15 PM
The Il2 dedicated server: What was needed was a good,stable upload speed of about 4KB per client.

so can I take it that it will need 16 kbytes upload per client from the server with CoD and therefore roughly 2mb total if you had 128 clients ?

madrebel
02-14-2011, 08:14 PM
anyone know if there will be a linux dedicated server? i'm not going to run windows in my server environment for something that doesnt generate me any money.

No601_Merlin
02-14-2011, 11:22 PM
anyone know if there will be a linux dedicated server? i'm not going to run windows in my server environment for something that doesnt generate me any money.
probably not are you renting server space ?

madrebel
02-14-2011, 11:33 PM
probably not are you renting server space ?

no i have my own private cloud. its just simpler as my environment is entirely linux. plus there is that whole windows license thing.