PDA

View Full Version : Will we see those nice reflections in the first release?

Dores
02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Title says it all. After all this talking about how some features are too demanding and are taking too long to develop - will we see them in the March release? So far they have only appeared in a single youtube video, and it looks amazing. But never in any other updates?

Here is the update video, in case anyone hasn't seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_VY1aV3Zg

Wutz
02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Stuff like that is appealing to the eye, but think for a moment as the guy in the plane. You are trying to hit a target on enemy territory and your plane is blinking and shining like a fishing blinker.....how long do you think this aircraft will go unnoticed? I mean that is one of the reasons for puting on camoflage is to make the aircraft less noticeable, and not a blinker. Otherwise one could have a lot of aircraft with chrome finishes, flying.......nice now-a-days, not what one would call typical for the 1940ties. Just my opinion, before people feel offended again....

The Kraken
02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Title says it all. After all this talking about how some features are too demanding and are taking too long to develop - will we see them in the March release? So far they have only appeared in a single youtube video, and it looks amazing. But never in any other updates?

Some of the G.50 shots also showed some reflections on the bare metal parts. Hard to notice though. And this Spitfire video seems to have some subtle reflection on the side of the plane when it turns, and the underside also has a green tint that could be light reflected from the grass. It could be a similar effect but less pronounced than in the Stuka video (which was overdone on purpose anyway). Not sure any of that will make it into the final release - considering how many people have been whining about system requirements it's possible Maddox Games are playing the safe route and rather disable features, before people turn up everything to max and then complain that it's not smooth enogh :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G836qqOhhZ8&feature=player_embedded

David603
02-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Here is the update video, in case anyone hasn't seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_VY1aV3Zg

The effects in that video were deliberately turned way up to make them more visible, so it was never intended that aircraft in the finished sim would look like that.

Robert
02-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Yes, Oleg admitted they were turned up to demonstrate the reflective properties in the game. BUT it does go to show the visual depth of CoD. Personally I hope it goes a long way toward helping locate distant formations of planes - like say a glint off of a canopy, or to help distinguish lower planes against the land. That was an issue for many in IL2.

When ever I see that You Tube clip's screen shot of the Ju 87 it reminds me of a highly polished classic car. Sweet effect, and it's nice to know a more realistic version can be implemented in the game.