PDA

View Full Version : will we still have tilting planes?

David198502
02-04-2011, 03:51 AM
hey guys!
i wonder what it is going to be when landing in fields or meadows.
in il2 every time im forced to land, and dont make it back to an airfield, i try to land on streets as i achieved secure landings to full stops. but if there arent any in the near surrounding i have to land on fields or meadows.
no matter how calm i touch down or how slowly i reduce speed(once on the ground) the plane will always tilt and digs the nose in the ground.(except with bombers where the landing gear is positioned differnt).
its a bit annoying that this happens everytime. i know that this happened in reality too, but i think not every time.im sure many pilots managed to land in fields without tilting.
did anybody here actually manage to get a spit or a bf, or something similar, safe on ground and to a full stop in a field in il2??or is it really impossible to do?
and what do you guys think it will be in COD??if i remember well, i have seen a screenshot with a damaged spitfire in a field.the engine full of bullet holes, but landed safe without tilting. i hope it will be possible.would add a lot of fun to the game, even if you lost the fight, there would still be the challenge to land safe.

Romanator21
02-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Typically when making a forced landing in a field pilots would not lower their landing gear because it would make the plane flip over, trapping the pilot inside, or worse, killing them (canopies are not designed to hold the weight of a plane ;) )

David198502
02-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Typically when making a forced landing, in a field pilots would not lower their landing gear, because it would make the plane flip over, trapping the pilot inside, or worse, killing them (canopies are not designed to hold the weight of a plane ;) )

makes sense!!
but on really flat meadows or something similar it should be no problem to land with gear down.in example when your engine is damaged over a city and you find a park which is big enough to land you could try,taking the risk to flip but with the possibility to stop safely.
am i right that its impossible to land in current il2 anywhere except airfields and streets?

WTE_Galway
02-04-2011, 05:12 AM
makes sense!!
but on really flat meadows or something similar it should be no problem to land with gear down.in example when your engine is damaged over a city and you find a park which is big enough to land you could try,taking the risk to flip but with the possibility to stop safely.
am i right that its impossible to land in current il2 anywhere except airfields and streets?

Not impossible just very difficult.

Do not touch the brakes, keep a smidgeon of throttle on for elevator authority if possible and pray :D

Take off is easier, just bounce into the air.

Remember that in real life the "bush planes" that successfully landed in those meadows were things like the Storch or the Westland Lysander NOT a bf109 G10 or P51D.

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/Lysander_V9281_preserved_woodford_UK.jpg

David198502
02-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Not impossible just very difficult.

Do not touch the brakes, keep a smidgeon of throttle on for elevator authority if possible and pray :D

Take off is easier, just bounce into the air.

Remember that in real life the "bush planes" that successfully landed in those meadows were things like the Storch or the Westland Lysander NOT a bf109 G10 or P51D.

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/Lysander_V9281_preserved_woodford_UK.jpg

ah ok good to know!i will try that!i always try to come to a stop without brakes when landing in a field, but i didnt use the throttle!!!yeah take offs from a field are easy, although you need luck as well.

xnomad
02-04-2011, 05:32 AM
canopies are not designed to hold the weight of a plane

Actually if I recall correctly one reason the canopy of the bf109 is such a 'strange' design is that it gives the pilot some protection when the plane flips.

Also the bf109 canopy is hinged, rather than following the conventional sliding type design. This is so that it can take a lot of damage and still be jettisoned, in order to bail out. The bubble canopies on the spitfire and P-51 etc would often get jammed when only slightly damaged. This trapped many pilots in their planes and they weren't able to bail out.

I have managed to land in fields without flipping but it's mainly a matter of luck.

xnomad
02-04-2011, 05:39 AM

Helmut Lipfert describes in his book how he got lost on the Eastern Front and had to land his bf109 G in a field to get directions from some peasants. He then took off again but forgot to put on his seat belt. He subsequently crashed into a building (I think he ran out of fuel) and what saved him was that he was not wearing a seatbelt as he was flung from the wreckage.

Richard
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Helmut Lipfert describes in his book how he got lost on the Eastern Front and had to land his bf109 G in a field to get directions from some peasants. He then took off again but forgot to put on his seat belt. He subsequently crashed into a building (I think he ran out of fuel) and what saved him was that he was not wearing a seatbelt as he was flung from the wreckage.
Agreed, I've read several stories in Flight Journal Magazine that pilots landed in a field to get directions, or even pick up another down pilot and subsequently taking off without any major difficulty at all..

Obviously, the field would have to be pretty smooth and so forth, but my point is that landing in a field back in those days wasn't unheard of at all, compared to IL2 sturmovik which leads me to another question:

Some of the airfields back then were simply a large grass field with hangars spaced around it. Will we be able to conduct those large squadron take-off's that we've seen so many times on youtube? Or will they still take off like they do in IL2? (Something that's highly unrealistic imo)

Coen020
02-04-2011, 02:30 PM
i've also succesfully landed in fields several times even when my engine was shot to hell, no fuel etc. so also without throttle. It's really not that difficult. Also i've often found it useful too land on the slope of a field (how do you say that in correct english).

And i believe there are different kinds of terrain ruggedness(weird english yet again) some terrains are more rough then others i believe. Lastly it also has to do with the aircrafts weight, i think. Having more weight means more stable on the ground.

Although the Storch, is off course an exception...